Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pass Defense

Rufus T Firefly

Well, our pass rush looks much, much improved from last year. In fact, it has gone from downright bad to very good, from what I've seen.

However, contrary to what people here said over and over this offseason, that has not led to a good overall pass D. In fact, the unit looks just short of pathetic right now. The DBs just can't cover. If it weren't for McNabb missing open receivers all over the field and Miami's WRs dropping passes like they were made of lava, we'd be one of the lowest rated pass D units in the NFL.

We need a premier, shut-down CB. And Springs ain't it any more. We should have dumped him this offseason. Then at least we'd have 5 mil more in cap room to sign Samuel, Asamougha or Vasher next offseason.

I couldnt agree MORE!!! With all the money that we throw around to idiots (to have gibbs have a press conference for them which annoys me), we need CBs.

I wanted Samuel this year, and thought he should be our first priority until NE franchised him. HE HAS TO BE ON OUR TEAM NXT YEAR NO EXCUSES. IM DEAD SERIOUS.

Our rush D has been great, not the best today but it was ok. We have been forcing turnovers and getting some sacks which were SORELY lacking last year.

Our pass D however, is in trouble. I have no confidence in Springs/Rogers, I just dont.

Well, our pass rush looks much, much improved from last year. In fact, it has gone from downright bad to very good, from what I've seen.

However, contrary to what people here said over and over this offseason, that has not led to a good overall pass D. In fact, the unit looks just short of pathetic right now. The DBs just can't cover. If it weren't for McNabb missing open receivers all over the field and Miami's WRs dropping passes like they were made of lava, we'd be one of the lowest rated pass D units in the NFL.

We need a premier, shut-down CB. And Springs ain't it any more. We should have dumped him this offseason. Then at least we'd have 5 mil more in cap room to sign Samuel, Asamougha or Vasher next offseason.

I agree and I'm really glad we didn't play Philly today.

The defense played pretty bad in that second half. However, they gave the offense plenty of oppurtunities to win this football game. 2 interceptions and a fumble recovery ain't bad. We can't expect the defense to continue to stand strong when the offense is not sustaining drives and giving them the opportunity to get off the football field. Yes the pass defense was not good, but they had to of been burnt out. Does anybody have the possession break down of the second half?

The defense played pretty bad in that second half. However, they gave the offense plenty of oppurtunities to win this football game. 2 interceptions and a fumble recovery ain't bad. We can't expect the defense to continue to stand strong when the offense is not sustaining drives and giving them the opportunity to get off the football field. Yes the pass defense was not good, but they had to of been burnt out. Does anybody have the possession break down of the second half?

I agree with this guys post. The defense was on the field the ENTIRE 3rd quarter with the exception of one 3 and out on our offense. They had to be tired. With a balanced and driving offense in the first half, look what our d did. You gotta take everything into account.

I am as disappointed as the next Redskin fan; however, I feel we have a great "O" line and a "D" line~ we just need:

1. The refs to see the other team holding as well as "if" we are holding

2. Calls to Jason to be more than Run, Run, Run~ Betts and Portis + Sellers can only be "read" so many times before it becomes..............ahem, redundent.......

We need for the coaches to see what we see in the team and the Coaches need to BELIEVE in this team.......................they have the QB, USE HIM!:2cents:

If our coaches has the gut's to sit Shawn Springs, SHAWN SPRINGS on the bench for ANY reason, then they should be able to send a message to Carlos Rogers if he continues not making plays. I think we should start Smoot after the bye and try and light a fire under Carlos, because as of right now he's not getting it done

I agree with this guys post. The defense was on the field the ENTIRE 3rd quarter with the exception of one 3 and out on our offense. They had to be tired. With a balanced and driving offense in the first half, look what our d did. You gotta take everything into account.

You kind of said it yourself right there. The defense was on the field for the whole 3rd quarter mainly because they couldn't stop them on 3rd down. They got tired because they played themselves into being on the field so much. In other words, basically, 'the defense was bad because the defense was bad'.

In the first half, things would have looked much, much worse if Burress didn't drop those three passes and if Manning didn't throw into double coverage for that INT.

Coming into the game, we were already ranked middle of the pack in the NFL in pass D after playing Miami, who had receivers dropping balls all over the field and Philly, who's QB couldn't hit an open receiver all night.

The pass D just hasn't been very good.

dumb comments about having bad cbs, no defense can stop a good offense when they were on the field for practically the entire second half and when a qb was making perfect passes for them, and pass rush was not great, just decent. Defense deserves no blame at all for this game

Don't call my comments "dumb" because you've chosen not to understand them. I didn't say a thing about this all being about the 2nd half of this game, so if you want to argue that I did, then it's pretty clear who's comments are "dumb".

We were 18th in teh NFL in pass defense coming into the game in spite of McNabb not being able to connect with wide open receivers and Miami dropping something like 8 passes the week before that. If you want to pretend that adds up to a good pass D, then go right ahead. Delusion is a wonderful thing.

Likewise, Burress and Shockey dropping passes bailed out the D in the first half. Yeah Manning made some real nice passes in the 2nd, but often he didn't have to. He just laid the ball int he hands of a reciever who had no one near him.

And using the "defense was tired" line as some kind of magic excuse is ridiculous anyway. We dominated time of possession in the 1st half, yet our D starter getting owned from the kickoff in the second. They were tired then? I would say that's a whole other level of problem in that case. Were they tired on the final TD drive? Yeah, probably. And at least half the reason for that is that they hadn't stopped a 3rd down conversion in the entire half. Isn't THAT the fault of the Defense itself?

you say springs isnt any good, im pretty sure he didnt get beat much today

he got beat more than rogers but you wouldnt know that because rogers did give up the biggest pass play of the game by missing that tackle, he did on the other hand give up less than our lb's in coverage who just suck in coverage

Archived