Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon on McNabb

TheTotalPackage

But anyone remember Rush Limbaugh? He's media and made a blatent comment about something that had nothing to do with race...but he HAD to attach race to it (about McNabb being overrated because he's black). Then him and people like him complain that McNabb 'played the race card'.

B/c you are wrong, "genius".

Limbaugh didn't say McNabb was overrated b/c he is black.

He said McNabb was overrated, yes (and he is), but the reason he gets so much props is b/c there are people in the sports media that want to see a black QB do well in the NFL for their own social-political reasons.

So they prop him up.

That is what Rush basically said.

Where Limbaugh screwed up was generalizing it the way he did. It's not the whole sports media, but there are certain people and institutions that operate this way.

Micheal Wilbon is one of them. In fact he is one of the biggest ones about proping up McNabb.

I've seen him just berate Manning and Farve. But he is always defending McNabb. Always making excuses for him. Always apologizng for him.

Why? B/c like Limbaugh said, he wants to see McNabb succeed in a Peyton Manning- Joe Montana type way, and for no other reason except that McNabb is black.

Otherwise, he wouldn't give a crap about McNabb anymore than he gives about Carson Palmer.

This article seems to be born for no other reason except that McNabb whined in an interview ('everybody is picking on me b/c I'm black'), and when they went to the younger black QBs and they didn't back McNabb up, this ticked Wilbon off. :rolleyes:

He behaves as if guys like Campbell and Young are supposed to just "amen" whatever McNabb says b/c of some ridiculous notion that all black QBs are supposed to stick together, like they don't have minds of their own.

They were asked, and they said they didn't feel any extra pressure. I'm sure Campbell saw what went on with Mark Brunell, and couldn't possibly feel he is under more pressure than Mark was. :)

People like Wilbon see sports as some canvas where they can create pictures that reflect/advance their own social-political commentaries/agendas.

The agenda he is pushing here is race.

Unfortunately for him and McNabb, other black QBs like Young and Campbell chose not to paint. :)

B/c you are wrong, "genius".

Limbaugh didn't say McNabb was overrated b/c he is black.

He said McNabb was overrated, yes (and he is), but the reason he gets so much props is b/c there are people in the sports media that want to see a black QB do well in the NFL for their own social-political reasons.

So they prop him up.

That is what Rush basically said.

Where Limbaugh screwed up was generalizing it the way he did. It's not the whole sports media, but there are certain people and institutions that operate this way.

Micheal Wilbon is one of them. In fact he is one of the biggest ones about proping up McNabb.

I've seen him just berate Manning and Farve. But he is always defending McNabb. Always making excuses for him. Always apologizng for him.

Why? B/c like Limbaugh said, he wants to see McNabb succeed in a Peyton Manning- Joe Montana type way, and for no other reason except that McNabb is black.

Otherwise, he wouldn't give a crap about McNabb anymore than he gives about Carson Palmer.

This article seems to be born for no other reason except that McNabb whined in an interview ('everybody is picking on me b/c I'm black'), and when they went to the younger black QBs and they didn't back McNabb up, this ticked Wilbon off. :rolleyes:

He behaves as if guys like Campbell and Young are supposed to just "amen" whatever McNabb says b/c of some ridiculous notion that all black QBs are supposed to stick together, like they don't have minds of their own.

They were asked, and they said they didn't feel any extra pressure. I'm sure Campbell saw what went on with Mark Brunell, and couldn't possibly feel he is under more pressure than Mark was. :)

People like Wilbon see sports as some canvas where they can create pictures that reflect/advance their own social-political commentaries/agendas.

The agenda he is pushing here is race.

Unfortunately for him and McNabb, other black QBs like Young and Campbell chose not to paint. :)

But, it doesn't mean that they aren't aware of what it going on!

Also, why would JC bring attention on himself knowing that he still trying to establish his credibility here in Washington.

im surprised wilbon wrote that too, he doesnt seem like the type to try and bring race into things. mcnabb was never bashed before until he started getting injured and playing poorly. i dont think him being black has anything to do with people bashing him. tons of white quarterbacks get bashed too, theres just not a widely used racial slur for the fans to scream.

rex grossman was bashed 10x as much as mcnabb was, so wilbon is just dead wrong there. every week last season i would turn on espn and just hear countless guys making fun of him and calling him horrible, and hes whiter than bread.

i agree with everyone whos claiming philly has more to do with this than the general football going public. philly hates everyone, black/white/green/purple/orange. they hated mike schmidt, they hate pat burrell, they hate donovon mcnabb, they hate santa claus. theyre just a hateful fan base, always have been and always will be.

wilbon should go to a philly game and listen to the crowd talk about burrell, the same people bashing mcnabb. he'd discover real quick that skin color is irrelevant.

McNabb took his experience and tried to extrapolate it across all black quarterbacks. No one could fault him if he stated that he felt that he , himself, had to perform to higher standards because he was black. Instead , he chose to generalize and stereotype by saying that black quarterbacks have to perform better than their white counterparts and that is racism. He played the race card by taking his experience in Philly and saying that that is the case everywhere.

Sorry, but Wilbon kind of last me in the article. He rehashes the struggles of black quarterbacks and mentions instances of racist remarks made but doesn't bother to explain just how people, or more specifically the media are being more critical of black QBs today.

Are we simply supposed to accept it because McNabb said so?

I have heard 10x more criticism about Grossman than McNabb.

The race card is in their heads. And the whole people saying the n bomb in Philly...give me a break man. How dramatic could we be. Does racism exist? Yes. Use your heads people...if you were in a mob of thousands of people and started dropping n bombs casually, what would happen to you? Philadelphia is not some bubble that is exempt from this natural law of humanity and common sense.

Glad you brought grossman up.

Now, would grossman still be the starting qb and have the job security he does if he were black and putting up those kinds of performances? I would say not.

Simply put, the leash is longer.

But, it doesn't mean that they aren't aware of what it going on!

Also, why would JC bring attention on himself knowing that he still trying to establish his credibility here in Washington.

What do you mean "what is going on"?

Care to elaborate?

Campbell was asked about Mcnabb's comments and he said he didn't feel he was under any extra pressure.

Saying "extra pressure" meant, to me anyway, that he was comparing himself to the other QBs on the Redskins. That is all he can do.

IOW, he feel he isn't pressured anymore than Brunell or Collins are.

He couldn't possibly be feeling anymore pressure than Brunell felt. :)

I do not think McNabb is criticized heavier because he is black, he was criticized because he played a bad game and his team lost to a team viewed as inferior. In week one he wasn't blamed for his teams loss, the punt team was blamed.

He forgets that last season, before he hurt his knee, the media and fans had nothing but praise to say about him and it was well-deserved, he was playing outstanding football and earned all the respect he got.

I think its abhorent that fans in Philadelphia would racially demean their quarterback like that, but you cannot assume that the attitudes of the fans in Philadelphia, who everyone knows can be reprehensible, reflect the attitude of our country. I cannot imagine any fan of the 'Skins, Titans, Vikings or Jaguars referring to their quarterback with such a word.

I fear when the 'Skins play Philadelphia because Donovan McNabb has beaten us single-handedly numerous times and he is still capable of doing it.

I have the utmost respect for McNabb, and I'm sorry that he feels like he is being unfairly criticized because of the color of his skin, but after the Super Bowl all you heard for 3 months was criticism of Rex Grossman (who receives MUCH more criticism then McNabb). I don't hear anyone heaping praises on Eli Manning after his team wins, but you hear a hell of a lot of criticism after his team loses (normally because it is his fault they lost)

It is true that McNabb isn't criticized as much as Peyton or Brady or Palmer, but that is because they are better quarterbacks then him. Donovan had his time as one of the elite QB's in the league, but his reign had to end and he has been replaced. In a few years V. Young and hopefully Campbell will probably be one of the elite QB's in the league, and it won't be because they are black or white. It will be because they play like one of the best in the league.

Just because jason campbell stated that he hasn't experienced it doesn't mean that the phenomenon doesn't exist. Were still honeymooning with him anyway.

Charles barkley is a poor example. He has never had to play quarterback.

But, he played in two different cities where he was a popular figure amongst the fan base-- Phoenix and Philly. In Philly, he accomplished quite a bit and still was criticized. That is Philly, "What have you done for me lately?" If you do not accompished what you say you are going to accomplish everytime you make a promise.. the Philly faithful will have your head.

Nothing more, nothing less. So, uh.. how does Barkley not fit into this equation?

Glad you brought grossman up.

Now, would grossman still be the starting qb and have the job security he does if he were black and putting up those kinds of performances? I would say not.

Simply put, the leash is longer.

...and who's holding Grossman's leash?

Lovie Smith.

I think if it were up to the Chicago fanbase, Grossman would be long since gone. Hell, if he were the 'Skins QB, I wouldn't want him.

The very fact that there are only 6 quarterbacks in the NFL currently, while virtually all other positions are dominated by blacks(except for maybe the O-Line) tells me that yes, for some reason, the feeling is that White quarterbacks are better than Black quarterbacks. Philly fans booed McNabb when he was picked by the team. Doug Williams won the superbowl in the 80's. Guess what, that was only 20 years ago. You mean to tell me that things have changed so much now that black quarterbacks are totally accepted? Things don't change so drastically in 20 years. Yes, there is racism against black quarterbacks in this country. Now, McNabb said that black quarterbacks feel more pressure. I don't agree with that. Black quarterback face a different type of pressure, which has more to do with race than what they do on the field.

Also, a certain segment of America definitely don't like the fact that blacks have started dominating sports in this country, yes, even traditionally "White" sports like tennis(Venus and Serena Williams) and golf(Tiger Woods). Some people just feel that certain positions are suited for Whites. For example, since these racists believe that blacks aren't as intelligent as Whites, the quarterback position, which requires intelligence, is more suited for White athletes than black athletes. McNabb strongly dislikes the stereotype that black quarterbacks are athletic as opposed to accurate pocket passers. Guess what, with TO as his wide receiver, McNabb played lights out. He almost won them the superbowl. Give McNabb Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and see how he's gonna perform. Perhaps Peyton Manning is the one who's overrated for being "good" because of his excellent wide receivers who know how to create separation.

Oh, to all you guys who are defending Rush Limbaugh's racist comment about Donovan McNabb, please continue to do so. You're just showing your true colors by doing so. I don't trust Republicans, period. The reason Southerners switched from democrat to republican was because a Southern democrat president decided to end segregation.

I play semipro, I have black teammates and white teammates, the other night we were at a club and a couple of black wannabe gangsters started in on a teammate (now the important thing to remember is that this teammate is a visible minority) anyway long story short in the heat of the moment my teammate used the N word, I dont thionk he is any more or less racist than most and frankly he gets along with our black teammates just fine. Point being is that when emotions ride high some people who dont think things through just say things that come to mind when they are angry or frustrated, I dont think this makes them racists just not very quickwitted because they say the easiest thing to get a rise. Philly fans being less quick witted than most houseplants probably resort to the N word more quickly than most. Bottom line Mcnabb is a whiny baby who needs a thicker skin as ALL qbs who play poorly get bashed not just overrated former glory boys.

yes, even traditionally "White" sports like tennis(Venus and Serena Williams) and golf(Tiger Woods). Some people just feel that certain positions are suited for Whites.

People love Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters because they are great at the sports that they play. I'm too young to really remember when Tiger first started playing golf professionally, but I don't remember any harsh criticism about him because he is the best. A bad day for Tiger is still good enough to beat most of the golfers in the world.

And I don't agree with Limbaugh's statement because I don't feel McNabb is overhyped because he is black, he deserves all the credit he gets because he is a great QB.

well....

white folks tend to believe that racism doesn't exist, has been eradicated thanks to the civil rights movement and civil rights laws.

black folks will tell you that they experience racism every day.

so really most of us aren't in a position to say that mcnabb is wrong becuse he currently is the only black qb playing in philly.

i heard a stat today that really made me sit back and wonder.

every black QB plays for a white coach.

every black heach coach has a white QB.

now tell me what does that mean?

white people dont believe in racism? man that was just ignorant to say.

black folks are just as racist as white people, mexican people, asian people, middle eastern people.

every body has it in them, it is what you do with it that matters..

People love Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters because they are great at the sports that they play. I'm too young to really remember when Tiger first started playing golf professionally, but I don't remember any harsh criticism about him because he is the best. A bad day for Tiger is still good enough to beat most of the golfers in the world.

And I don't agree with Limbaugh's statement because I don't feel McNabb is overhyped because he is black he deserves all the credit he gets because he is a great QB.

oh tiger got it..Fuzzy Zoeller said:

"That little boy is driving well and he's putting well. He's doing everything it takes to win. So, you know what you guys do when he gets in here? You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not serve fried chicken next year. Got it?"

Then Zoeller smiled, snapped his fingers, and walked away. Then he turned and added, "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve."

that was 97..

i heard a stat today that really made me sit back and wonder.

every black QB plays for a white coach.

every black heach coach has a white QB.

now tell me what does that mean?

white people dont believe in racism? man that was just ignorant to say.

black folks are just as racist as white people, mexican people, asian people, middle eastern people.

every body has it in them, it is what you do with it that matters..

the one thing about that stat is that most head coaches in the NFL are white (I think there are 4 or 5 black HC's in the league), as are most QB's (there are 5 black starting QB's in the NFL), so the odds are against a black head coach having a black QB. I don't think there is anything racial about it.

oh tiger got it..Fuzzy Zoeller said:

"That little boy is driving well and he's putting well. He's doing everything it takes to win. So, you know what you guys do when he gets in here? You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not serve fried chicken next year. Got it?"

Then Zoeller smiled, snapped his fingers, and walked away. Then he turned and added, "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve."

that was 97..

okay, that I did not know

Who is Fuzzy Zoeller?

the one thing about that stat is that most head coaches in the NFL are white (I think there are 4 or 5 black HC's in the league), as are most QB's (there are 5 black starting QB's in the NFL), so the odds are against a black head coach having a black QB. I don't think there is anything racial about it.

thats what i meant by posting the stat.

there may be racism up in the front office's, but i believe that on the field they are all about equal.

there are more black WRs then white.

there are more black RBs then white.

it is what it is, the best man for the job. i would take vince young over rex grossman any day. i would take jim thorpe over vince. and i would take peyton manning over all of them. it is whomever is better at the job.

okay, that I did not know

Who is Fuzzy Zoeller?

some loudmouth golfer that was jealous of tiger's fame and talent who usually was pretty colorful when he was asked to make comments but happened to pull a "jimmy the greek" right there and inserted his foot into his mouth.

tiger, bless his soul, took the high road and said that he knew it was a mistake and that he probably didnt mean it that way.

like when Junior Seau went to Miami and the Dolphins played the Chargers. they asked him how can you stop LT? And his response was:

"You just befriend him. Just kind of give him a couple of watermelons, load him up with some fried chicken and just say, you know, 'Keep eating.' "

that was purely meant as a joke, but you just dont make racial comments out in public like that. it is like smoking while sitting on a powder keg.

well....

white folks tend to believe that racism doesn't exist, has been eradicated thanks to the civil rights movement and civil rights laws.

black folks will tell you that they experience racism every day.

so really most of us aren't in a position to say that mcnabb is wrong becuse he currently is the only black qb playing in philly.

Hmm, most white people I've talked to with sufficient experience with other races definitely feel like racism still exists, from all angles.

So I don't really agree.

Where whites may not see eye-to-eye is just which situation is involving racism and how significant a factor (as opposed to a hurtful 'piling on') it is in that circumstance.

I think McNabb's comments could very well be accurate about PHILLY.

Remember when people cheered when Chris Chandler got hurt in Atlanta (specific comments about him being white were heard) People wanted to see a QB they could connect with and who seemed a lot more exciting on the field (vick.)

There will always be someone who will look at another's race or sex or religion or just the 'cut of his gib.' But that doesn't mean it's the dominant meme involved in evaluation of a particular player. So, as I said before, TECHNICALLY McNabb could be right but that will never change as there will always be some stray email or remark uttered by someone who is using factors outside of play on the field or court when commenting on a player.

I left Philly before I had a chance to hear how people really felt about Iverson and if feelings involving race became a factor.

But, he played in two different cities where he was a popular figure amongst the fan base-- Phoenix and Philly. In Philly, he accomplished quite a bit and still was criticized. That is Philly, "What have you done for me lately?" If you do not accompished what you say you are going to accomplish everytime you make a promise.. the Philly faithful will have your head.

Nothing more, nothing less. So, uh.. how does Barkley not fit into this equation?

I'm not arguing that there isn't some truth to the phickle philly phenomenon. Still, barkley hasn't had to absorb any sacks in either of the 3 cities he has played for. He hasn't taken a single snap. Like the article said, quarterback is the single most important position in sports today and its on par with being a ceo of a fortune 500 company. To say that an african american CEO of a fortune 500 company (that isn't similar to BET in origin) doesn't get his every move analyzed more than his counterparts would be asinine.

All this proves is McNabb and Wilbon are both wrong. I evaluate everybody. I criticize McNabb because it is proven anyone can win with Reid in Philly.

I criticized Palmer's 6 TD performance last week because they didn't win and he missed wide open receivers. When Campbell gets his first win this year, I'll criticize him. It has nothing to do with color, it has everything to do with position. If you want, I can really criticize Grossman and happily criticize Roethlisberger. I'm an equal oppurtunity critic and if a white QB wants to flaunt the laws like Vick, I'll be extremely critical of him and look for the same punishment I suggest for Vick.

I have always been critical of McNair because he is always injured. People call him a tough QB but I consider him injury prone.

To further emphasize the point, I think the most overrated player to ever suit up is Joe Montana. He got all the credit in the world but only one player in one sport can say he is the "GOAT." Montana just happened to throw to him.

Archived