Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Shaun Bodiford, We Hardly Knew Ye

Truant

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/09/shaun_bodiford_we_hardly_knew.html?nav=rss_blog

Skins have let the young WR go to make room for DeMulling. Bodiford was claimed off waivers after 53-man rosters were set but not active for either game. Has great speed and return-ability (not a real word but you catch my drift), but with 6 WRs, something had to give.

Will be interesting to see if Caldwell plays this weekend - I think he will - and how this all shakes down for the wide receiver, who seems to get phased out to me. If Randle El keeps making plays on deep stuff to compliment Moss, and Thrash is in a lot of three-wide sets when they run the ball. If Caldwell can be a target guy in the slot on third down packages, then I'm not sure that the WR doesn't become, as the Brits like to say, "surplus to requirements."

Couple comments:

1) It's not "return-ability"... it's "return ability"... it's not one word, it's two... Grammatically, it's not correct either way, but it's better than treating it as if it's one word.

2) Bodiford made sense since we were down to 4 wide receivers prior to Caldwell (Moss, Thrash, ARE and Lloydd)... We added him as a possible 5th wide receiver prior to Reche... Now we are back at 5 by letting Bodiford go. How can you possibly say our WR is "surplus requirements" when we only have 5! Have you seen New England's WRs?

Seriously, where does Brandon Lloyd fit in any more?

I was wondering the same thing. As JLC says, have to see if Caldwell plays and how much he plays. Have to think the more he plays the less Lloyd plays. The team might give him another chance this Sunday and bring Caldwell in after the bye.

Can Bodiford still play on the practice squad and if so I wonder if the team will pick him up? I guess if they do they see something that they like.

Where does any #3 WR fit here anymore? Lloyd was the only one who even got a ball thrown at him.

Considering that most of the sets contain Cooley and Sellars, there aren't many opportunities right now for anyone outside of Moss and ARE.

Jason

Thinking along these lines the skins really don't need a high priced number 3 WR. I think we need someone that can get open and make defenses pay, but not someone the team puts a lot of money into. Which translates into no Lloyd. It would be nice if Caldwell turns out to be this guy. Someone to grab a couple of balls a game to keep the defense honest.

Thinking along these lines the skins really don't need a high priced number 3 WR. I think we need someone that can get open and make defenses pay, but not someone the team puts a lot of money into. Which translates into no Lloyd. It would be nice if Caldwell turns out to be this guy. Someone to grab a couple of balls a game to keep the defense honest.

But, that's something you talk about during the next offseason. The money has already been spent on Lloyd and he's here for the remainder of the season.

As for Caldwell, I don't know why people are making a big fuss over him. It isn't like he's done any more in his career than Lloyd. To me, he looks like a younger version of Thrash. Until he actually gets on the field, he's depth and not much more.

Jason

Where does any #3 WR fit here anymore? Lloyd was the only one who even got a ball thrown at him.

Considering that most of the sets contain Cooley and Sellars, there aren't many opportunities right now for anyone outside of Moss and ARE.

Jason

He's not even the #3 WR anymore. In the Philly game in most 3 WR sets Thrash was on the field and not Lloyd.

There was one series where he was the #3 WR and there was a specific play run for him, and shock of all shocks, he didn't catch the ball in the endzone.

.There was one series where he was the #3 WR and there was a specific play run for him, and shock of all shocks, he didn't catch the ball in the endzone.

I'm no lloyd supporter, but to be fair, that ball was well overthrown. I still dont think he is on the team after this year.

He's not even the #3 WR anymore. In the Philly game in most 3 WR sets Thrash was on the field and not Lloyd.

They were switching off all game long. I'm guessing that they like Lloyd for some things and Thrash for some others. I doubt Caldwell changes much since Lloyd has what the other two lack: speed.

There was one series where he was the #3 WR and there was a specific play run for him, and shock of all shocks, he didn't catch the ball in the endzone.

Actually, he was the #2 WR at that point, since ARE was out with cramps. Also, it is kinda hard to catch a pass if it is thrown out of bounds.

Jason

At 6' 0" 210 lbs, Caldwell is our big reciever.

I actually think Moss, ARE, and Caldwell could be the best trio, we have had in a while.....plus he is really good at seeing the ball.

caldwell.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: he is one weird lookin dude that is for sure. He looks like one of the monsters B. Lloyd shoots up in Halo.

You kidding, right?

Seriously?

Please tell me you're not that stupid? Please?!

Was that ball even catchable in the end zone? Did not Lloyd do everything he could to stay in bounds and try to catch that ball? It was overthrown, and yes, Lloyd had a step on his guy. It wasn't anyone's fault there, so for you to sit there and talk like that, shock of all shocks, is shocking.

Don't even try coming back for an argument. Just apologize for talking out of your ass. I'll find a video of it somewhere and you'll end up looking foolish.

Lloyd has, for whatever reason, not produced. That doesn't give you the right to go and find a problem where there isn't one.

How did u expect him to catch the ball in the endzoe when its 10 yards passes the endzone? He had his man beat and abetter touch on the ball he woulda scored. I still think we needa give BLloyd a chance if he can step up n do something we can be special but if he doesn't step up and Caldwell does then were gonna be special. I'm still not sold on Randle El either, 1 good game doesn't make him automatically a number 2 Wr, and y is Cooley only catching 1 or 2 passes a game?

His pickup never made sense.

He would have been not only a great KO returner but in the next few years a terrific recieve too. If Mike Martz had high praises for him I am sure that he has what it takes. Hopefully he won't get made a star of the league by someone in our conference. Sure , had a good feeling about that guy.

Archived