Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas assistant wants Goodell to explain Belichick's punishment

CAMPBELL2MOSS4SIX

In his first comments since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell punished Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots for cheating without removing the coach from the sidelines, suspended Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said he intends to write a letter to the league office seeking an explanation for what he considers inconsistent enforcement of NFL policy.

Wilson also said he might attempt to determine whether he can appeal his five-game suspension.

"I would say there is definitely a double standard being applied here," Wilson said Friday when reached at his home near the team's practice facility. "I don't want to be seen as a crybaby or as someone questioning the commissioner's decision, but I see some major inconsistencies here.

"To me, they're holding the organization accountable instead of the person."

On Sept. 1, the NFL suspended Wilson for five games and fined him $100,000 -- nearly a third of his salary as an assistant coach. Wilson, who has suffered from diabetes for 24 years, admitted he purchased medication -- believed to be HGH -- banned by the league's substance abuse policy, although he said he did not know the rule applied to coaches as well as players. Wilson did so while working as an assistant coach for the Chicago Bears and turned over phone records and credit card receipts in a seemingly successful attempt to convince the league he was taking them for his own personal benefit and not distributing them to players.

"They were concerned about distributing, and I was cleared of that or I was told I would have been banned from the NFL for life," Wilson said. "I don't' want to bash the commissioner, but I definitely think there are some inconsistencies here. Intent was a big issue in my defense. What their [Patriots] intent was, I don't know. But I was just taking my punishment, and I guess what the commissioner does with Belichick is his business, but I think there are some inconsistencies here."

Belichick avoided suspension but was fined $500,000.

The Patriots were fined $250,000 and will be required to forfeit at least one first-day draft choice for illegally videotaping opponents.

"I did something wrong, but I did it only to benefit myself, not to gain a competitive advantage," Wilson said. "I accepted my punishment and moved on, but this is kind of a different deal. The percentage of my salary that I was fined is substantially more than the percentage he was fined as far as I can tell. I mean, $500,000 is nothing to laugh at -- but neither is $100,000. The punishment is definitely not the same in my opinion."

"I'm contemplating whether to write a letter because I accepted the punishment for my violation, didn't appeal and went about my business. All I'm asking for is an explanation, and I know exactly what the commissioner is going to say because I've read his comments, but it might make me feel better."

Wilson later said he might explore whether the window in which he had to appeal his punishment might still be open. He's hoping to use Belichick's punishment to make the point that he believes the sanctions he suffered were unfair in comparison.

"I don't know if I have the ability to do that as long as I'm suspended or whether it's too late," he said.

"But it might be something worth checking into now."

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

Totally agree

NFL is in severe damage control...suspending the coach means the story drags on

No Multi-week suspension

No Multi-year draft penalty

No Full Disclosure of the event

If Belicheat was going to gain an unfair advantage over the Jets....suspend him for the next Pats/Jets game....they would have time to prepare for that. How does the league limit Belicheats use of previuosly gathered Illegal Intel?

Cover-up

Goodell will likely hide behind procedure, saying something to the order of, the time to appeal has passed. I like how Goodell has handled player transgressions, and he was probably right to suspend Wade, but he simply let Belichik off too easy - he should be exiled from Pats' HQ for at least 2 weeks.

I hate to side with a Cowboy, but, he's pretty dead-on here. Belicheat should have been suspended and fined a substation PERCENTAGE of his income, not just 500K.

The more I think about this the angrier I get.

I have to agree with you guys. Wilson got a raw deal. It is the same old story that the rich, powerful or politically connected don't get punished while the little guy does.

Belichick's comment on why he did it was beyond ridiculous. He claims he misunderstood the rule. The rule clearly states no video taping of any kind of your opponent from anywhere during the game. How you gonna say you misunderstood that? You're a class A douchebag Belichick and you will never deserve to be enshrined after this. You've completely lost my respect.

Also, the punishment is far too lenient.

By suspending Wilson for 5 games, Goodell is punishing the Cowboys for rule violations that took place by a member of Chicago's staff. What the hell kind of sense does that make?

Belichick deserves a MINIMUM 8-game suspension and $2,000,000 fine, IMO.

If I was him and it only cost me $500,000, I'd keep cheating!

Along with the penalties so far;

Belicheat suspended for the next Jets game

Pats should lose all tie-breakers for a playoff spot this year

Pats should lose more than one draft pick over more than one year

and

Pats/NFL should release ALL Information and Material involved

Until then...I will be talking cover-up

By suspending Wilson for 5 games, Goodell is punishing the Cowboys for rule violations that took place by a member of Chicago's staff. What the hell kind of sense does that make?

Belichick deserves a MINIMUM 8-game suspension and $2,000,000 fine, IMO.

If I was him and it only cost me $500,000, I'd keep cheating!

Seriously, I'd just be smarter about my cheating.

I think the Pats got off easy! Belicheat only got fined 12% of his salary. The Pats only have to give up one 1st rounder if they make the playoffs (or one 2nd and one 3rd rounder if they don't make the playoffs). That is hardly a stiff sentence and really isn't equatable compared to the suspensions Goodell handed out this season.

Let's see the Pats should have gotten for CHEATING...

Belicheck fined this whole year's salary, because the coaches' should be held at a higher standard than players.

The team should lose two 1st round picks regardless if they make it into the playoffs or not. And the team fined $10 million and will be deducted from the Pats' next year's salary cap.

This will teach them not to do it again and send a warning to other teams.

Goodell basically just told the Pats.."you did wrong, shame on you" with no real punishment. The integrity of the NFL was not defended.

I'll try to email Goodell. According to one website, it's Roger.Goodell2@nfl.net

guys, guys, guys... there is something most media outlets are not putting on the story... $500K is the MAXIMUM fine the NFL can give out. That's a big part of the reason why the fine seems low...

However, i side with this Cowboys coach (cringe...) and I say it's definitely an unfair situation. Bilicheat should be suspended. Period. The NFL may have hoped to brush this under the rug but it's FAR from over. There's got to be a more suitable punishment for Belicheat. SUSPENSION.

Archived