Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OK... 14th Defense and #6 Offense - thanks to El

Dead Money

I'm not a huge "stats guy" but I was interested to see where we fared having seen two of the NFC east teams scoring at will against each other Sunday night. Here are a few rankings based on stats so all of you who were gonna piss and moan about "Power Rankings" look here first, this is where most of the mediots get their rankings from. (We'll still be ranked in the mid to high 20's but so be it.)

14 Defense

23 Passing Defense

5 Rushing Defense

21 Receiving Defense

T14 Sacks

6th Offense - w/o the El Hail Mary we're b/w 12th & 13th

3rd Rushing offense

8th in passing - again without the El Hail Mary we're around 25th.

16th in Scoring

9th in receiving...again without the El Hail Mary we're around 25th.

7th and 23th best Running backs.

14th in Punting... (Yeah that counts too :)

27 Kicking (not sure how they calculate that but I was disappointed to say the least.)

T10 Kick returns

Looking at this and the game, our offense is better than our defense, AGAIN, on Paper. Yeah its just week one, but we played this alleged "stout defense" and moved the ball even with all the drops, penalties and injuries.

Our D is better than they played but the secondary needs to get the bugs out.... The cover three shouldn't automatically give 10,12,15 yard gains at will, Sorry.

Smoot complained about the vikings and their use of him in zone coverage, wonder how he feels now? He didn't play much man Sunday did he?

Ladell Betts had a better day than Steven Jackson.. :laugh:

Anyway.... post your stats here and discuss... I'm happy to see us in the middle of the pack, I think our running game may just keep us in it this year :jump:

What's all this crap about "Without the hail mary . . ."? Every team throws a few a season, so should that count against them, too? Since when does making a play get an asterisk by it?

Call it crap if you want I was trying to keep it realistic in my own eyes and I knew some people would throw it in their so I decided to head them off at the pass. It makes a huge difference though doesn't it?

Oh and it doesn't put an asterisk next to it, I thought it was smart to add it as a sidenote because we have a very ...err... thorough fan base ;)

Call it crap if you want I was trying to keep it realistic in my own eyes and I knew some people would throw it in their so I decided to head them off at the pass. It makes a huge difference though doesn't it?

Oh and it doesn't put an asterisk next to it, I thought it was smart to add it as a sidenote because we have a very ...err... thorough fan base ;)

Psh, take away big plays and show me what any top offense does! We earned it, baby! :cheers:

we got the W, that's all that matters.

Also, two of the more important stats

5th rushing defense

3rd rushing offense

We can run and stop the run. That factors in heavily down the road. We don't need to pass as much cause we can run. On defense, they pass more cause they cannot run, so more yards will be gained. As the Colts figured out, if you cannot stop the run, you are F'ed.

5th rushing defense

3rd rushing offense

We can run and stop the run. That factors in heavily down the road. We don't need to pass as much cause we can run. On defense, they pass more cause they cannot run, so more yards will be gained. As the Colts figured out, if you cannot stop the run, you are F'ed.

In a vaccuum, I'd say you were right, and out of the four things to be good at between run/stop run/pass/stop pass, I'd certainly take these two first ... normally.

What concerns me is our schedule. Despite having one of best running backs in the conference, the Eagles still prefer to pass (33 attempts in a game in which they were close throughout). We got them twice, the Cowboys twice, Detriot, New England ... all teams that have the ability to carve up a weak secondary.

I'm glad our run defense is stout and now that our passing offense will improve. Our "improved" secondary has to make progress as well if we expect to slow down these pass-happy foes we're about to face.

You can also pull up the stat that 58 yards on offense (12 passing, 46 rushing) were made in OT, which further inflates our stats as i'm sure these stats include OT for all games. Portis ran for 34 yards in OT. Now had we not gone into the extra period (say, the bomb to ARE was in the endzone and the Skins won at regulation's end), Portis would have finished the game with what, 64 yards? Is that THAT good? (For conversation's sake let's leave YPC out of this)

I'm not hating on Portis or the team, I think our offense will break the top-10 by season's end. But stats get inflated due to OT, so my point is that stats mean nothing because there are too many variables that play--it's not an even field for everyone. For example, if the Skins played in 8 OT games and we had the ball in each, Portis would be the league's leading rusher with well over 2000 yards. Does that sound right to you?

5th rushing defense

3rd rushing offense

Exactly right. This is the really important stuff right here.

What is the difference between pass defence and receiving defence? Special teams coverage? sorry I am a little slow today.

Pass defense - how well we defend the opposing team's offensive passing (yards, td's, completions against us.. batted balls.. interceptions.. etc)

Run defense - how well we defend the opposing team's offensive rushing (yards allowed, td's, fumbles, fumbles recovered, etc)

special teams coverage.. how well we stopped/allowed the kicking and punting return teams of the opponent to perform

Pass defense - how well we defend the opposing team's offensive passing (yards, td's, completions against us.. batted balls.. interceptions.. etc)

Run defense - how well we defend the opposing team's offensive rushing (yards allowed, td's, fumbles, fumbles recovered, etc)

special teams coverage.. how well we stopped/allowed the kicking and punting return teams of the opponent to perform

That still doesn't answer his question, unless you are saying that "Run defense" or "special teams coverage" are the same as "receiving defense"?

Archived