Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We May sign another receiver?

Mania

I believe the reason the Skins have not signed another receiver since the final cuts were made were for the sole reason that the salary of the player we signed would be guaranteed.

However, if we were to sign someone like Caldwell or Gabriel after week one the salary wouldn't be guaranteed. I believe there is a 60% chance we will sign another receiver in the next couple of weeks.

What are your opinions regarding this.....chat away.

GO SKINS!!!!!!!!

My prediction -- 27-0.

Yes. We do not have a WR that can run a 6 yard button hook on 3 and 5, that is without getting mauled by a LB and getting hurt or fumbling. We need to sign someone with size as soon as week one ends to be our #4 receiver. Sure Moss and Lloyd both bulked up to 200 pounds and maybe that will make them both a lot stronger and more durable, but I dont think you can make a speed guy into that big possession Art Monk type that we have been sorely lacking. We havent had anyone loosing resembling Art since McCants hit the pine (seemingly because he didnt excel at special teams). I hate seeing our best receivers hit the sideline when we get close to the endzone. All speed WR's makes us one dimensional and takes themselves out of the game on a short (no pun intended) field.

I dont know, I'm ready to see what our WRs can do this year, I have a feeling that ARE and Lloyd are going to have a great season.
I'm with you here. Let's see what the kid can do, and if he's boucing two or three catchables of their faces each game then maybe we work something out. Losing faith in ARE and Lloyd is a bit unfair considering their quarterback last year was Mark Brunell for half the year.

I fear in Bodiford we find another 5'10 receiver similar to the 3 we already have but more injury prone albeit a injury prone special teams maniac. No trust here on him to do anything for us offensively. Comparing him to Bruce makes me wonder why the Packers risked losing him. He will do nothing to add to our receiver core, at least not this year with his 500 page playbook. Watching the game last night made me wish we had drafted a Colston size or type receiver 3 years ago. We have no go up and get the damn ball receiver.

I'm with you here. Let's see what the kid can do, and if he's boucing two or three catchables of their faces each game then maybe we work something out. Losing faith in ARE and Lloyd is a bit unfair considering their quarterback last year was Mark Brunell for half the year.
Sorry about getting off the subject, but I love your license plate..no anyone that has one like that, that is willing to sell it to me, doesn't have to be personalized, I just like the Redskins helmet on it and the state of Virginia! Although I really do dig the FEER21!

Umm we already have a #2, as well as a #3, 4 and 5 WR. If you think ARE and Brandon Lloyd are going to be replaced then think again because it is unlikely to happen this season. We signed Boiford as a #5 and for special teams. That is all they were looking for. They weren't looking for a replacement for any of the receivers that are actually going to play so I don't understand why people keep saying we should sign Gabriel and Caldwell, etc.

Can we at least give ARE and Lloyd a chance to screw up this season before condemning them?

I think it's reasonable to ask whether the Redskins should consider picking up a tall possession-style WR, especially as another red-zone option. After all, most of our WRs are the speedy shorter guys. Why not consider this possibility.

I recall that people were asking about other alternatives to Bodiford -- that slightly-injured 5-11 guy we picked up. ...Okay, for example, how about Billy McMullen? http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6431

He's a 5th year WR that was cut by the Vikings. McMullen was trying to make the 4th WR spot on that team, so he'd be used to the role we'd be asking him to play. I don't think there is an ego issue here, and I suspect this would be a reasonable contract price.

A former Cav, McMullen is 6'4, 215lbs, and seems to specialize in that spot duty of hauling in those 12-16 yard passes. His height was probably his main asset. Since he was able to hang on for 5 years in the league, I suspect he can play on on special teams too.

I think it's reasonable to ask whether the Redskins should consider picking up a tall possession-style WR, especially as another red-zone option. After all, most of our WRs are the speedy shorter guys. Why not consider this possibility.

I recall that people were asking about other alternatives to Bodiford -- that slightly-injured 5-11 guy we picked up. ...Okay, for example, how about Billy McMullen? http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6431

He's a 5th year WR that was cut by the Vikings. McMullen was trying to make the 4th WR spot on that team, so he'd be used to the role we'd be asking him to play. I don't think there is an ego issue here, and I suspect this would be a reasonable contract price.

A former Cav, McMullen is 6'4, 215lbs, and seems to specialize in that spot duty of hauling in those 12-16 yard passes. His height was probably his main asset. Since he was able to hang on for 5 years in the league, I suspect he can play on on special teams too.

Just because somebody is 6'4 doesn't mean he automatically becomes a good red zone target. How many redzone catches does Mcmullen have? There is a lot more that goes into being a good WR.

Just because somebody is 6'4 doesn't mean he automatically becomes a good red zone target. How many redzone catches does Mcmullen have? There is a lot more that goes into being a good WR.

And it doesn't automatically mean that he isn't a good redzone target either. Considering the stats, it does look like that McMullen was tossed a couple short passes that resulted in touchdowns. But he's mainly a possession receiver, which can't be all that bad. And height is something that we don't have in many of our recievers.

In 2005 McMullen caught 13 out his 18 receptions for 1st downs, and in 2006 14 out of 23 for first downs. As a possession receiver, he was okay at getting his job done. He also picked up a few touchdowns, but who knows whether they were Redzone passes or not. I did note that his Yards After Catch YAC was kind of low, so I suspect there might have been a short pass or two that he caught in the endzone.

As for talent level -- we're talking about someone who'd be good enough to be a #4 or so. And this guy has been a #4 WR for a while. While he's still young, he is an NFL-tested vet.

I simply raised his name as example of players out there, besides Bodiford. Since other fans had been raising was seems to be a possible need for tall receiver, I thought this guy might qualify.

We can't be so quick to discount the pass-catching skills of Lloyd and ARE. Both of them were essentially forgotten souls last year with Scott under center. ARE does a bit more work in the backfield (i.e. Brunell's range) so we saw a bit more of him, but all in all, he and Lloyd were handcuffed by Brunell's play, and then took a backseat to Cooley and the running game down the stretch after Campbell got in.

This year, they'll have a QB that can consistently get them the ball down the field.

Your need for a dependable red zone target isn't quite as glaring if you're consistently putting up 6 from.......you guessed it......outside the red zone.

ARE and Moss have that returner instinct and are sensational after the catch (so is Cooley).

With good field position from the defense, I think we'll see JC taking pot shots at the endzone ALOT this year.

Moral: Not having a huge possession type receiver will not hurt us as much this year as some people are trying to imply.

Well, I personally don't think they need to consider it at this point anyway, but this is a more reasonable post than dreaming about a big name WR being signed to the 5th spot. You never know, they could prove me wrong on Monday and sign someone else but all accounts I have read indicate that they like Bodiford. He is apparently pretty fast too, from what the writers are saying. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Count how many Lloyd and ARE have while you are at it.

Archived