Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Collins IS the #2 QB...

SantanaClaus89

And here's the double-edged sword for you Brunell haters.

So many of you claimed Gibbs' blind loyalty to Brunell is what kept him in. So many of you were quick to shoot down that MB was the starter in '05 because he looked better than Ramsey in preseason, claiming, again, it was blind loyalty and/or Christian faith that had MB starting in '05 over Ramsey.

So it looks like the team does go with the QB who looks best in preseason, and that there is no blind loyalty to Brunell. Thus meaning that Brunell earned his starting spot in '05, and did a good job which merited him keeping that job at the beginning of '06. Of course if you used logic, you'd have already recognized there is no silly faith/loyalty there because Brunell was benched in '06.

Also, how many of you haters, who are so glad now that Collins is number 2 and not Brunell, were bashing Collins previously and saying we needed to cut him? Hmmmm...

2 things

first, ill admit (as 95% of this board should) that i wanted collins gone, but that was before he showed us anything. he showed us in 4 games that he has the arm to still play, and he was able to move the team somewhat. am i thrilled about todd collins back there? not at all, but im thrilled he got the job over brunell.

secondly, lets get real. its pretty much a running joke in the DC/MD/VA area that gibbs loves mark brunell. we joke about it on this board, people i hang out with joke about it with me, i hear guys joke about it on the radio. its a pretty well known issue. it was blatantly clear that collins outplayed brunell this preseason. can you imagine how silly it would have made gibbs look to go with brunell had he wanted to? gibbs claimed it was an open competition for the job, collins won. had brunell won it, it would have been clear that the job wasnt up for grabs at all. id bet money that it was pretty painful for gibbs to tell mark (his friend) he was getting demoted.

now, moving to the future. lets hope if campbell goes out that collins can throw more than screen passes.

Uhm... is it just me or are we all jumping the gun here a bit?

Don't we remember our QB situation going into last season?

We had Brunell as the starter, with Collins backing him up. However, if Brunell were to fall for a prolonged period of time (read: major injury) Campbell would become the starter. How do we know Gibbs isn't doing the same here again? Maybe he likes Collins to come in for a game or two if need be, but not necessarily lead the team if Campbell went out with a major injury.

Just saying. Let's wait till we get the official word.

secondly, lets get real. its pretty much a running joke in the DC/MD/VA area that gibbs loves mark brunell. we joke about it on this board, people i hang out with joke about it with me, i hear guys joke about it on the radio. its a pretty well known issue.

So, you rely on running jokes as proof of your theories?

Nice.

so let me get this straight

we released a bunch of aging vets in favor of a youth movement

we resigned chris cooley to basically keep him here for his career

weve only traded 1 draft pick so far (a 2nd day pick) for a proven guard

and now joe gibbs has reduced mark brunell to 3rd string QB duty?

W.O.W

And yet, there are still people complaining.

W.O.W.

na, i think gibbs finally went with the better player instead of picking favorites. im sure he didnt like it either.

Lol... whatever man. I think you forgot how Collins looked last year during preseason. Gibbs went with the better player then too. Sorry it's too hard for you to understand that.

iand winning us a playoff game.

M. Brunell 7/15 41 2.7 0 1

He had 41 yards passing in that playoff win. A record for us to still win despite that.

He didn't win us a playoff game, the team somehow won a playoff game despite him. Imagine how good that team would have been with a real QB. We could easily have been SB winners that year.

Really, there was no decision that Gibbs could have made that would appease everyone.

If he makes Brunell #2 (which he should have done), he would be called out for the "love affair" he has with him.

If he picks Collins, everyone says "why do we have Brunell at #3, he's too expensive for a 3rd string qb"

Lose-lose situation for him. And, for people thinking we should get rid of Brunell, that's just nuts. This guy knows the system and has shown he can win big games.

M. Brunell 7/15 41 2.7 0 1

He had 41 yards passing in that playoff win. A record for us to still win despite that.

He didn't win us a playoff game, the team somehow won a playoff game despite him. Imagine how good that team would have been with a real QB. We could easily have been SB winners that year.

haha, those numbers dont look real.

Its good to see JG make a decision with is brain and not with his heart. That being said, they should have traded Brunell, and developed Casey Bramlet as #3. Having an ancient, expensive, inactive insuarance policy at #3 is a luxury you can't afford in today's NFL. IMO.

Bramlet was cut by the Falcons last week, so he must not be worth a damn in the NFL...

Didnt see this posted but the search is not working.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/09/things_to_watch.html

People close to Brunell tell me the veteran believes he will be the No. 3 QB this season, but the passers are still waiting to get word from Gibbs. Imagine he'll go ahead and tell them in the next few days, with Sunday fast approaching and all.

I know some people are down on the Skins for keeping so many kids, but I can tell you this. I spoke with people on various teams who were ready to pounce if Reed Doughty, Leigh Torrence or Chris Wilson were cut, for instance. Losing three big locker room guys - Renaldo, Big Joe and Lemar - is a blow, but for the long-term of the franchise I like what they did.

Edit: I see that there is a thread on Brunell number 2 but still dont see anything on JLCs comments.

2 things

first, ill admit (as 95% of this board should) that i wanted collins gone, but that was before he showed us anything. he showed us in 4 games that he has the arm to still play, and he was able to move the team somewhat. am i thrilled about todd collins back there? not at all, but im thrilled he got the job over brunell.

secondly, lets get real. its pretty much a running joke in the DC/MD/VA area that gibbs loves mark brunell. we joke about it on this board, people i hang out with joke about it with me, i hear guys joke about it on the radio. its a pretty well known issue. it was blatantly clear that collins outplayed brunell this preseason. can you imagine how silly it would have made gibbs look to go with brunell had he wanted to? gibbs claimed it was an open competition for the job, collins won. had brunell won it, it would have been clear that the job wasnt up for grabs at all. id bet money that it was pretty painful for gibbs to tell mark (his friend) he was getting demoted.

now, moving to the future. lets hope if campbell goes out that collins can throw more than screen passes.

It would have looked about as silly as putting a guy 2nd who's had 18 completions since 1998. In either case, just because you think it's a running joke, doesn't mean that it's true. In fact, Collins taking over actually proves it isn't true. You can dismiss as Gibbs "finally wising up." But the last time I checked, Gibbs has won 3 Superbowls with 3 different QBs; meaning he knows QBs more than you, I, or any "analyst."

And it's not like Brunell was stinking up the joint in preseason. He did lead drives, however many were ended by drops from receivers who aren't even on the team now. Collins did play well though, and I can't say I'm upset with the decision. Either guy at #2 would have made sense to me.

Oh, in response to another post I saw, and something you yourself have brought up before: In that playoff game against Tampa, did we win despite Brunell, or did Brunell do enough to not lose the game considering he was injured, Thomas was out, and Tampa had the number 1 defense that year? Oh yeah, I forgot, you guys just like to dump everything on MB and not look at surounding circumstances.

Also, if you are going to say Collins deserved it because he looked better in preseason, than I don't want to see anymore ****ing about Brunell in '05, he looked much better than Ramsey in '05, and had Probowl numbers (for the umpteenth time, he was beat out by Vick who had a passer rating of 73.1 that year).

And moving on to the future, let's hope Collins doesn't have 73% of his pass attempts go under 10 yards like Mark did, let's hope it's only 72% like Tom Brady. (2 can play that game)

I spoke with people on various teams who were ready to pounce if Reed Doughty, Leigh Torrence or Chris Wilson were cut, for instance.

Very interesting. It would be great if some of these guys could play a signficant role for us this year. It sure would restore a lot of people's faith in our scouting department.

Mark is the 3rd QB now, as it should be based on performance duing the pre-season.

No need to pile on hate for Mark folks, we are not iggle fans!

I am glad to have Jason as our QB, and have Todd and Mark mentor him this year.

Mark along with Santana did lead the miraculous comeback against the Pukes in Dallas, and go on to win 3 of 4 games against them.

Cut him some slack, he IS one of the good guys!

EDIT: Mark took a pay cut this year as well, thanks to that with his guaranteed money from his signing bonus it costs us no more to keep him this year then cut him.

It would of been nice if one of the young QBs paned out but the coaches didn't think so. Having 2 guys on the bench that are capable to come in and manage the game for us is a good thing.

Hopefully though will not have to see either come in.:helmet:

Archived