Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Discussion: Give Sellers The Ball

NattyLight

I don't know if this has been discussed in some time, but it's been eating away at me for the last 8 months: give the monster from the football factory that is Walla Walla Community College the damn ball more.

If you remember back to the glory days of 2005, this mutant amassed 7 TD's in only 12 receptions. Those are staggering numbers. Even though his receptions went up 50% to 18, and production went down, I wholehearted believed that the coaching staff just gave up on him last year. Not very smart with Portis out and Duckett on the sidelines for the majority of the year.

Sellers is our Allstot, and what, you only hit him off with 12 rushes last year!?! Are you crazy? At 4.3 ypc, Sellers is our 3rd/4th and short guy. All the time. There's no reason Frost should be punting on 4th and 1 at mid-field with Sellers on our roster, he's the solution to Redskins possession football.

Thoughts on why he's not more of a role-player? General discussion is welcome.

I do think they need to use him far more in the red zone than they did in 2006...and they should also try and use him more on short yardage situations. But I also don't think Sellers is the type of player who seems damn near impossible to stop on short yardage like Allstot was. He's damn near impossible to stop when he's lead blocker, though lol...

I agree for the most part. Sellers is an animal and a forgotten threat. He has great hands and is often left uncovered when coming out of the backfield. I think he is a great asset deep in the red zone. As mentioned he is also a great power back in 4th and short situations but so is Portis when following Sellers. I will never forget how he ran over Dawkins and agree that he should have a more active role. I wonder if Saunders wants to use him for anything beyond typical FB duties this year.

I'd like to see him more on short yardage situations. In addition, I wouldn't mind seeing him in for a series or two as the feature back, say if we're up midway through the third quarter or early in the fourth, as a change of pace. Imagine a defense starting to tire a bit and then having to face that truck fresh off the bench. Just 4 to 6 carries a game to batter the D a bit. :cheers:

PLEEEEEEASE give Sellers the ball. The guy is a monster and he always gets the yards needed when you give him the ball. As stated by someone else, he averages 4+ yards per carry. I'm not saying give him the ball 20 times a game, but a guy that can wear down and intimidate a defense like Sellers and still average 4.5 yards per carry is gonna move the chains in addition to all the other plusses i just mentioned.

The guy is a great all around player in every way that we've used him and it's not just like I think because of that he deserves carries, but I think getting him some carries every game HELPS THE TEAM. and that's what everyone on here is talking about correct?

I thought that that was the plan. :confused:

I could swear that Gibbs said that they plan on getting Sellers the ball more this season. Or was that Cooley? :whoknows:

Anyway, Sellers is obviously much leaner this season and may have even put on a couple more pounds of muscle mass. IMO the coaches put a bug in his ear that he would be getting the ball more this season and to get into better shape.

even w allstot, bettis, sellers... sometimes you still have to punt on 4th & 1 on the 50.

however i agree he needs to be utilized more often.

Very nice sig, but you an editing error regarding Art Monk's jersey. You have it listed as #18.

Archived