Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins move up in ESPN Week 1 power rankings

HateOffSeason

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2007&week=1

was.gif19 (28)Redskins5-11-0Will RBs Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts each rush for 1,000 yards this season? As coach Joe Gibbs says, who knows? But you can bet they'll get every opportunity.

While most of ESPN can't seem to say anything nice about the Redskins, it looks like they are starting to hedge their bets going into the season. 9 spot jump after pre-season isn't too bad.

If they've watched the 'Skins at all this preseason, their comment with the 19 ranking is puzzling. The defense has been outstanding, but we've been unable to run the ball. :whoknows:

No one cares if your defense is extra ordinary unless your offense can put up some points. Its just as simple as that. BTW, surprised to see that we are the last in the league in the preseason for the number of sacks, ONLY 1!

If they've watched the 'Skins at all this preseason, their comment with the 19 ranking is puzzling. The defense has been outstanding, but we've been unable to run the ball. :whoknows:
I took it as though they were saying the only thing that we really need is the running game. :2cents:

No one cares if your defense is extra ordinary unless your offense can put up some points. Its just as simple as that. BTW, surprised to see that we are the last in the league in the preseason for the number of sacks, ONLY 1!

I was commenting on how they bumped us up from 28 to 19, and cited how well we will run the ball this season, yet we haven't run for squat in the preseason. If they bumped us up and said the Redskins defense is looking amazing, that would have made sense. But it's like they're not even paying attention.

Funny how a division that is suppose to be so weak, the WEAKEST division in some peoples minds.....placed TWO teams in the top 8.

Amazing.

Who the heck is saying the NFC East is supposed to be weak? I haven't seen that anywhere. Almost every ranking you've seen they have the Eagles and Cowboys ranked highly and the Skins and Giants towards the bottom.

The ranking is just about right going in. The Skins defense is not as good as it looked in pre-season (no pass rush) and the offense is not as bad as it looked. Baseed upon this relative ranking ... Skins could go anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7. My guess at this point: 7-9.

I guess this is how people pick us to have a losing record this season. If we went strictly by this and won every game over a team lower than us on the list, and lost every game to teams higher than us on the list then we'd end up 7-9.

vs Dolphins - W

@ Eagles - L

vs Giants - L

vs Lions - W

@ Packers - W

vs Cardinals - W

@ Patriots - L

@ Jets - L

vs Eagles - L

@ Cowboys - L

@ Buccaneers - W

vs Bills - W

vs Bears - L

@ Giants - L

@ Vikings - W

vs Cowboys - L

Somehow I don't think we'll go 0-6 in the division, however. That's why they play the games. :)

If you thought for a moment that these rankings have any credibility whatsoever, check out the following link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2006&week=1

It's the Week 1 rankings for last year. And look how accurate they were- Seahawks as the best team in the NFL? Carolina ranked #2 Saints ranked 29th? San Diego at 16? Baltimore at 18? These power rankings have about no value whatsoever.

On this topic- here's a question- when is the last time one of these so called sports "experts" predicted a suprise team ever? Either in terms of a team which most people expected to do poorly being very good, or in terms of a team expected by most people to do well doing very badly? I can't think of any time they've caught something the general public hasn't.

I really think the so called sports "experts" at ESPN are really useless as people. For all the money they are paid to bloviate about sports, I am not convinced they can analyze sports better than the average fan.

Not a surprise, anybody could have come to that conclusion after watching pre-season.

If our offense is at least mediocre(which it was last season, and is at least so far this season), and our defense isnt playing as super-horribly as they were last season, then at the very least we should be considered a mediocre team. Kind of hard not to move us up in rankings when our defense wasnt sucking. To be in the bottom 5 in the NFL you have to be really bad at something.

So that must mean they are pretty accurate then? Considering weather men/women forecasts are about 80% correct.

Thats a statistic made up by weather forecasters. I happen to know where I live, at least half of the time they predicted rain over the summer it didnt.

How is it the weakest division in football? Last year we sent three teams to the playoffs. Granted, the team that didn't make it was us, but that doesn't speak to the strength of the division. The weakest division in football in my opinion is the NFC west or the NFC north. The bears might be coming out of the north, but look at the teams that follow the north leader. They are all terrible. In all the NFC East is probably the strongest division in the NFC.

Archived