Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason La Canfora overreacting to Heyer Experiment; how to possibly use an extra pick

monte55coleman

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Jason La Canfora has a new post up about o-line issues and how the heyer experiment is terrible and it could have been costly for the redskins.

frankly, i think his post in regards to heyer and gibbs and bugels confidence in him is way overblown. Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen got a lot of help last year early in the year, and although Chris Samuels is pro bowl material, watch the Giants game last year and you'll see that OSI beat him to his inside several times, with JC making a houdini like scramble to get positive yards. For being a pro bowler, Chris Samuels loses leverage more often than you like. I still think he is a great player, and a much better player than Heyer, but acting like that wouldn't have happened if Chris Samuels is in there is ludicrous. We gave up 19 sacks last year, which is good, but any of those sacks can be devastating to your quarterback.

Also, last week in the Titans game, when Jason failed to pick out the corner on the corner blitz (it was not Heyer's responsibility) the corner put a hard hit on him and could have separated his shoulder. Jason was fine, but would scouts and coaches be doubting Heyer and what a bonehead move it was to put him in there, or would they be questioning Jason Campbell's intelligence. I think he is overreacting to a dirty play and acting like it would have been the coaching staff's fault for letting something like that happen.

Anyways, they need to trade Brunell for a fifth rounder, and then trade that fifth rounder to the Jets for Pete Kendall. Problems solved.

He is way overreacting, and too quick to point out that he foresaw this as a problem weeks ago. When you're negative about pretty much everything, occasionally circumstances will occur that seem to support your pessimism. That doesn't make you brilliant or prophetic. When will this guy get it out of his head that he knows more about football than our coaching staff?

Wow, all of this because Heyer missed one block? :doh:

Every OT in the league has missed a block from time to time. Prior to that missed block, Heyer was doing a pretty decent job with the first team. Especially for someone who was never even drafted.

I wonder if Heyer's name would have ever even had been mentioned if Jason wasn't hurt on the sack?

Sure he would have been blamed for missing the block, but I doubt that JLC would have wasted perfectly good blog breathe on him. :rolleyes:

For a 34 year old guard? :laugh:

No way. Conditional 6th or 7th at best

In any case, I don't see the Skins in such a desperate situation that they will need to do something like that. Hell, they probably can find someone on the waiver wire after cutdown who can do the job.

Getting back to JLC, I also think his comments are stupid, particularly since Heyer has actually looked good out there for the most part. If he was getting beaten like a rented mule out there, then JLC's comments would have been appropriate.

As I said before, there is always a risk of injuries in these preseason games. There isn't any avoiding it, since you have to get these guys playing time.

Jason

Yes, but at the same time, he's a UDFA that is still learning. True, his "learning almost killed our franchise QB, but he's still learning. Doesn't mean he's bad.

I understand but don't put a kid in to do a man's job. Heyer was brought in as a project and would get his chance later; about two years later. Thank God Campbell is ok.

Wow, all of this because Heyer missed one block? :doh: ... I wonder if Heyer's name would have ever even had been mentioned if Jason wasn't hurt on the sack?
I agree it's a bit harsh, but like jobs in the Secret Service, one mistake usually spells disaster and costs someone their job and someone else their life (or season). You're totally right on one thing - if Campbell pops up from that hit and continues the drive, this blog entry doesn't exist.

With all of JLC's inside sources, one would think he could at least name a player that should take Heyer's place. Unfortunately he doesn't do that. The problem with Canfora is that he really knows nothing beyond what all of us know. He just happens to sit at Redskins Park from time to time.

So Heyer missed a block, and the DE took a low shot at Campbell and almost ended his season. What if Jansen's missed block last week had resulted in the same? Would JLC be saying that the Jansen experiment should be over?

Canfora's writing just leaves a lot to be desired. I doubt he'll have this gig much longer.

For a 34 year old guard? :laugh:

No way. Conditional 6th or 7th at best

They don't want to trade him so yeah I think they will ask for too much the same way the patriots where asking for too much compensation for deion branch. Though the patriots finally gave in for just one 1st rounder. I'm not saying they would want that but they will start high.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Jason La Canfora has a new post up about o-line issues and how the heyer experiment is terrible and it could have been costly for the redskins.

frankly, i think his post in regards to heyer and gibbs and bugels confidence in him is way overblown. Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen got a lot of help last year early in the year?????<-----what does this mean?, and although Chris Samuels is pro bowl material, watch the Giants game last year and you'll see that OSI beat him to his inside several times, with JC making a houdini like scramble to get positive yard<----one game defines a beast of a Pro Bowl Tackle ay?...hmmmm :doh: . For being a pro bowler, Chris Samuels loses leverage more often than you like<------wow, just wow on this comment :doh: . I still think he is a great player, and a much better player than Heyer<-----the ultimate backpeddle or backstrokebut acting like that wouldn't have happened if Chris Samuels is in there is ludicrous. We gave up 19 sacks last year, which is good, but any of those sacks can be devastating to your quarterback.

Also, last week in the Titans game, when Jason failed to pick out the corner on the corner blitz (it was not Heyer's responsibility) the corner put a hard hit on him and could have separated his shoulder. Jason was fine, but would scouts and coaches be doubting Heyer and what a bonehead move it was to put him in there, or would they be questioning Jason Campbell's intelligence. I think he is overreacting to a dirty play and acting like it would have been the coaching staff's fault for letting something like that happen.

Anyways, they need to trade Brunell for a fifth rounder, and then trade that fifth rounder to the Jets for Pete Kendall. Problems solved.

Dude you say that it's "over-blown" and then you post comments like you're Chicken Little, and your comments sound as if they are in support of Canfora's. You must agree that we don't have depth and we're forced to play a rookie we (the coaching staff) don't want to?

From what I can tell, we've got depth at O-line. Heyer played extremely well overall on Saturday. We shouldn't trade Brunell b/c I think he's better than last year and looks more healthy. Samuels is an elite Tackle...like one of the top 3 in the game today so you're out of your tree if you think he wouldn't be any better in there or whatever you said about him. Calm the F' down and stop reading an article that doesn't deserve to be read at this point. It's the F'ing preseason people. We look good, really good all things considered. Yeah :laugh: Pete Kendall, a 34 year old Guard would be a great pickup...no thanks :2cents:

HTTR

Wasn't Art telling us a few months ago how we awesome depth on the 0-line?

Anyway, I pretty much predicted this exact scenario last week, because I am brilliant and watch football. (Though not this particular game).

In fact, I will quote that brilliant football mind, me:

So the left side of our line is Hayer and Pucillo.

This might be a good team for Campbell to come up with some kind of hand injury.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206777

And, Heyer looked totally lost to me in the first pre-season game. He seems like an adequate run blocker, but is kind of a disaster in pass protection right now. And that is bad for the tackle responsible for the blindside.

Here is a possible solution for the regular season though if Samuels goes down: Flip-flop Jansen and the rookie. Jansen blocked Brunell's backside for three years and did fine. I would rather Campbell see the defender coming free than the alternative.

I agree it's a bit harsh, but like jobs in the Secret Service, one mistake usually spells disaster and costs someone their job and someone else their life (or season). You're totally right on one thing - if Campbell pops up from that hit and continues the drive, this blog entry doesn't exist.

Not really. Campbell has been drilled from the blindside twice already this off-season. And this was as predictable as could be. (And yes, I know the first one was off a blitz that Campbell missed..but still....).

I just don't think you "experiment" with the left tackle position unless you really really dislike your QB.

The guy was beaten, the QB got the ball off, and the DE launched into Campbells legs.

First of all, regardless of the intention, that player should be ejected. Nuff said. Give the offending team a fifteen yard penalty and eject the player. Additional fines from the NFL only if it can be determined that the hit was intentional.

I'm not saying what Pittsburgh did to Campbell was to intentionally hurt him, but the guy was on all fours, and launched into his legs. No way is that not dirty.

If an O -lineman cut blocks a D lineman from the side, ala Denver Broncos, that player should be ejected, and the offending team penalized 15 yards. Hell, I'd make it 20 yards for that because regardless of intention, you can cost a man his season or career. Its time for the NFLPA and the NFL to step up and recognize this for what it is, dirty.

Oddly enough, the first part of his blog is what I was yelling while I was pummeling my table with my fists(the table won). The part about leaving Campbell exposed on his blind side had me scared going in. From a coaching perspective, we didn't give Heyer enough help. Putting an UDFA rookie in and leaving him on an island against experienced DL/OLB can ONLY lead to disaster. Although it limits the playcalling and ability to stretch the field, Saunders has to consider Campbell's health and but another body over there. Whether it be an extra TE, a RB with a left side pass blocking assignment, or even a FB, SOMEONE with size there to throw their weight and create more of a wall between the defensive player and the QB. The play Campbell was injured on, Heyer had NO help, and was beaten on the INSIDE.

Related to team blocking, I have to say that I also thought Ladell Betts did an AWFUL job on Saturday. There were several successful blitzes that he went to block on the inside or opposite side of the apparent blitzer. It was puzzling(perhaps chematic) but he seemed to be the weakest part of our entire blocking game. Blaylock did a better job but I wasn't paying close enough attention when Mason was in to judge(hungover/sleepy/drunk/other), but he looked quick with the ball. Betts was a good blocker and excellent receiver, so hopefully his lapses are just early errors, but we need him to read things well if we are going to be successful on 3rd this year.

I'm really not sure what people expect... most teams don't have 1 good left tackle let alone 2. Is anyone really surprised that we don't have Joe Jacoby coming in off the bench? Yawn.

Seriously, tell me 4 or 5 teams that have what you'd consider good Plan Bs there? Sure some teams have a "name" who is supremely over the hill such as Bob Whitfield, Todd Steussie or Jason Fabini. What has happened the past couple of years when these players entered the game? They stunk.

I guess we'll just have to be happy with having a great left tackle and no good backup. I'd take that scenario over just about every other team in the league not named the Eagles. They are about the only team I can think of who has top line starters and top line depth.

This is the second week in a row that we are attempting to rationalize Heyer's role in a clean hit to Campbell that took place from a pass rusher coming from the left side. Fortunately, the latest hit was just a bruise.

I look forward to Chris Samuels being back at the left tackle position.

Archived