Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason La Canfora overreacting to Heyer Experiment; how to possibly use an extra pick

monte55coleman

Then why is Fabini on the roster? Why not put Wade a LT and Fabini at LG? They aren't interested in seeing any other combinations?

Its obvious that they view Fabini as a known quantity. They've got plenty of film on him from his career with other teams. Heyer is a rookie, they need to see what he can and can't do so that it can be corrected. Its preseason, now is the time to be doing this, not midseason.

But Art just said he was run over when he got in. When he was last tackle, he gave up plenty of sacks. So, how good can their film on him be?

Fabini was not brought here to be a starter, the coaches know exactly what they got when they signed him. Again, he is a known quantity. Heyer is not.

The quality of film has no bearing, it is what it is. Its not like the nfl is keeping all the good film on Fabini from us.

Then why is Fabini on the roster? Why not put Wade a LT and Fabini at LG? They aren't interested in seeing any other combinations? Without Samuels in there, its a different OL anyway. Might as well give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen? The QB gets a knee injury?

Fabini is on the roster because he was added to provide veteran depth. Another guy came on during camp and earned playing time ahead of him. Do you think we added Fabini and then stopped actually caring what the players did on the field in competition? Why would you play him over Heyer when Heyer actually has played well enough in reality, if not to the satisfaction of a writer who still doesn't know who's fault the sack against the Titans was.

Wade has been worked as the most talented, most experienced guy you have, to possibly replace your starting left guard. He was dinged up and didn't play this week and may well be more beneficial to us in a backup tackle role than a starting guard role.

As for the worst than can happen, it's simple. If a guy who's played pretty well still can't please you, starting a guy he has played better than can only lead you to have a blood vessel explode. Seriously though, the worst is if you believe Heyer has potential -- and, hey, as teams start to figure out what he can't do, we may find out he really blows -- then every snap he takes gets him that much closer to being ready in an actual game if he's needed.

Fabini won't actually benefit a great deal as he's played thousands of plays as a starter.

But Art just said he was run over when he got in. When he was last tackle, he gave up plenty of sacks. So, how good can their film on him be?

Don't be surprised if he's one of the cuts. Don't be surprised if Heyer struggles if he's the opening day starter if Samuels can't play. I happen to think Fabini is about the worst player in the league. With Pinkston. So, if we never see either guy, I'll be just fine. If, however, either guy is impressive enough to earn time and plays well when they get it, I'll be happy too.

Despite my general disdain, I have no preconceptions of the players we have. Meaning, just because I don't value Fabini it doesn't mean he's not better than I think. And, just because some of you can't understand how an UFA might be a solid developing player, doesn't mean he isn't.

And how can we cavalierly expect him to start in the regular season if he is that bad?

I'm sure he's got one or two good plays left in him as a backup. You never know, he could turn it on, although that is not likely.

It should also be stated that Parcells put a good word in for him, so that might answer your question.

Bigtime overreaction. He's trying to over simplify the problem. How many teams wouldn't have left tackle issues if their starter went down for the season??? Are you telling me a 5th round pick wouldn't give up a sack Jason?? Come on....the kid blew the block on the JC hit BUT the hit was dirty. There was a side angle showed on Comcast tonight and its obvious he launched himself into JC's leg. A 5th rounder opr a starter could easily have made the same error....

It's the preseason, Lombardi. There's no such thing as an emergency.

Two meaningless preseason games and our QB of the future has been nearly killed in both. Hell, in the first 5 minutes of both. Maybe not an emergency personel-wise, but down-right frightening from a coaching standpoint. I don't know if it's a talent issue or not, but it's these coaches responsibility to make sure the most important player on our team is protected. If they are curious how a young guy like Heyer can hold up against starting NFL talent.....put Brunell or Jordan Palmer back there for your little experiment. Don't risk the future of the franchise.

This staff needs to wake the **** up.

Two meaningless preseason games and our QB of the future has been nearly killed in both. Hell, in the first 5 minutes of both. Maybe not an emergency personel-wise, but down-right frightening from a coaching standpoint. I don't know if it's a talent issue or not, but it's these coaches responsibility to make sure the most important player on our team is protected. If they are curious how a young guy like Heyer can hold up against starting NFL talent.....put Brunell or Jordan Palmer back there for your little experiment. Don't risk the future of the franchise.

This staff needs to wake the **** up.

Campbell isn't our QB of the future. He's the QB we hope is the QB of the future. The staff can't possibly risk the future of the franchise by playing a guy who hasn't proven that's what he is unless they stop playing that guy. Campbell came out of the Titans game unhurt and was not in danger of being hurt.

He got an awkward shot against Pitt and that's too bad. But, you don't stop playing the guy who needs the most playing time. Not sure how you even consider that an appropriate option.

Heyer was responsible for the Pitt hit, but not for a talent lack -- though he's only a marginal prospect given his measurables in speed and quickness. Rather, because he made a bad read against a complex defense.

Campbell is not really a known quantity either, thats why he is going to continue to play in the preseason if healthy. Besides, who benches there starting QB for the preseason? Nobody, because you need to get as much live experience as possible.

On edit: Football is not for the faint of heart. People really do get hurt no matter what. One could always just watch water polo if the prospect of injury is too much to handle.

He got an awkward shot against Pitt and that's too bad. But, you don't stop playing the guy who needs the most playing time. Not sure how you even consider that an appropriate option.

Who is saying bench them both? Or even bench one of them? Play Campbell in the first quarter with either Wade or Fabini at left tackle. And play Hayer in the second and third with Brunell or Collins.

See...problem solved.

Hayer would still be facing real competition.

Campbell's life would be at slightly less risk.

I want Hayer to make it. Undrafted rookies make me want to pick up prostitutes and drink fortified wine. It's a good thing. I just don't see why they are conducting this really weird lab experiment with him.

Who is saying bench them both? Or even bench one of them? Play Campbell in the first quarter with either Wade or Fabini at left tackle. And play Hayer in the second and third with Brunell or Collins.

See...problem solved.

Hayer would still be facing real competition.

Campbell's life would be at slightly less risk.

I want Hayer to make it. Undrafted rookies make me want to pick up prostitutes and drink fortified wine. It's a good thing. I just don't see why they are conducting this really weird lab experiment with him.

Campbell is just as likely to get sacked with any of those mentioned. You keep missing the point. It's preseason, the team has nothing to gain by seeing Fabini play, they know what he can and can't do. Heyer very well could be a future starting tackle if he keeps progressing.

Campbell isn't our QB of the future. He's the QB we hope is the QB of the future. The staff can't possibly risk the future of the franchise by playing a guy who hasn't proven that's what he is unless they stop playing that guy. Campbell came out of the Titans game unhurt and was not in danger of being hurt.

Heyer was responsible for the Pitt hit, but not for a talent lack -- though he's only a marginal prospect given his measurables in speed and quickness. Rather, because he made a bad read against a complex defense.

Campbell IS the QB of the future, until he proves he isn't. He has shown the most promise of any QB in the last 2 decades, and just because he hasn't proven it YET, does not mean it's okay to throw any piece of camp fodder out there to protect his blindside without any help. Why would you even take that chance?

I agree Campbell needs to play. So put an extra TE or RB over there to help the inexperienced part of the line for God's sake.

There are better ways to find out if a guy has talent than just throwing him out there on an island and watching to see if he gets your starting QB killed or not.

Wade is a right tackle by trade. Fabini has been outplayed by Heyer. Why play a guy who's not as good as the other guy if you have it judged that way? The lab experiment is what you want. You want the team to replace a guy performing pretty well with a guy who's never played the position and another guy who hasn't played tremendously well to this point in camp. Had Heyer spiked himself, you'd roll to someone else and hope they play well in the game, but, since he hasn't played poorly, why not continue to get him in there playing.

BTW, who's the starting left tackle for Peyton Manning? Any idea?

Fabini is a revolving door. Heyer with one hand tied behind his back is a better option than Fabini.

Then why did we bring him in? Honestly' date=' if a rookie off the street is better, wouldn't it make more sense to get another rookie off the street?[/quote']

Hopefully Heyer is a diamond in the rough, but its obvious that some don't want to find out.

Lets just all curl into the fetal position and suck our thumbs.

Campbell IS the QB of the future, until he proves he isn't. He has shown the most promise of any QB in the last 2 decades, and just because he hasn't proven it YET, does not mean it's okay to throw any piece of camp fodder out there to protect his blindside without any help. Why would you even take that chance?

I agree Campbell needs to play. So put an extra TE or RB over there to help the inexperienced part of the line for God's sake.

There are better ways to find out if a guy has talent than just throwing him out there on an island and watching to see if he gets your starting QB killed or not.

Sorry, G, but, Campbell isn't our QB of the future until he proves he is. Hope that he is doesn't mean he's achieved any special status. He's been a reasonably low performing QB in this league on the field to this point. We overlook that as we enjoy the prospect of upside and growth we believe he has.

We aren't game planning in the preseason as most teams are not. Gibbs indicated already he may adjust that a bit as much of the pressure has come from a lack of prep common in the preseason. Heyer's done a pretty good job of holding the spot down through two games. His one actual mistake did end up causing a mild injury to Campbell. That's certainly unfortunate.

But, Heyer has played better in two preseason games as a rookie than Campbell did as a rookie. We wanted to see more of him. We should also want to see more of Heyer. If he's the answer others have not been, in a few years when Samuels leaves and Campbell, with hope, is the established starter and star, he can be the guy you rely on for the next few years.

In no case, though, should his actual play be overlooked and to this point that's been pretty good. He's been better on the field than Jansen, as an example. We're probably not going to bench him either.

Then why did we bring him in? Honestly' date=' if a rookie off the street is better, wouldn't it make more sense to get another rookie off the street?[/quote']

Same reason we have brought in any number of former starters. You give those guys who've proven they can play in the NFL an opportunity to extend their careers and compete against a batch of younger guys you are trying to find something out about. The team likely did not think Heyer would be as good a he's been in camp and they have put him in the starting lineup more rapidly than you'd typically expect. No book exists on Heyer either and when that is written we'll know a lot more about him than we do now.

Heyer can be cut tomorrow or a starter 10 years from now. He's that wildly unknown. The little we've gotten to know about him has been largely positive. That's a good thing.

BTW, who's the starting left tackle for Peyton Manning? Any idea?

Yes, because I know football.

Tony Ugoh is the plan there. They drafted him to replace Glenn. They just didn't think it would be this year.

He was the 42nd player taken overall so he should have some level of skill.

I don't have a problem with rookies starting. I'm just worried by this particular rookie.

Archived