Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason La Canfora overreacting to Heyer Experiment; how to possibly use an extra pick

monte55coleman

Uhm yeah i agree with the Blog, we should not be using a undrafted rookie to protect out star QB's blindside. It's not a good idea, and the reason we are forced to do it is because we do not have good depth for our O-line. Just doing ok for a rookie is not good enough, he should not be out there, but what can you do when you are already using your back-up tackle to try and play guard. Lovely.

Uhm yeah i agree with the Blog, we should not be using a undrafted rookie to protect out star QB's blindside. It's not a good idea, and the reason we are forced to do it is because we do not have good depth for our O-line. Just doing ok for a rookie is not good enough, he should not be out there, but what can you do when you are already using your back-up tackle to try and play guard. Lovely.

You can only agree with the blog if you incorrectly think Jason Campbell is a "star". As you have made that poor, incorrect determination, it allows you to draw other incorrect conclusions. If you were able to fairly judge what Campbell has been for us and distinguish between our shared hope he becomes a star and his actual performance in pursuit of stardom, you'd probably realize Campbell isn't due any special status yet.

If you were able to fairly judge what Campbell has been for us and distinguish between our shared hope he becomes a star and his actual performance in pursuit of stardom, you'd probably realize Campbell isn't due any special status yet.

While I pretty much always think you are wrong about everything, I generally follow your logic.

However, you have lost me here.

While throwing around the word "Star" in reference to Jason may be pushing things, he is clearly the only real option at starter and has been annointed as the future of the most important position on the team. We are committed to him long-term and pretty much need him to succeed lest we take our 1500th step back since 1992.

So, knowing all that, shouldn't we be trying to make his life as easy as possible?

Any QB picked in the first round and handed millions of dollars pretty much has a special status simply by the fact that so much is invested in them.

If I know a promising young artist who had the potential to become a star and I buy one of her paintings for $500, I would probably put in a safe place away from direct sunlight. I wouldn't hang it on the front porch, beacuse "She deserves no special status yet."

We are no more committed to Campbell long term than we were Ramsey. By 2004, Ramsey was essentially the odd man out, and in 2005 he was almost completely out. Campbell may well be that after this year if he plays badly. His contract being picked as low as he was is very inexpensive considering he's in his third year already.

We all, rightly, hope Campbell finally becomes the answer long term we've not had for ages. To suggest you bundle him away as you continue to do while then saying you'r enot is just ludicrous. To continue to suggest he should be protected by playing guys you don't judge as good as others simply because YOU are confused as to why one guy is judged better than another reveals a level of daft analysis best left un-uttered.

Part of learning what Campbell can be requires he be required to handle pressure and read blitzes. Yes, we could block with eight guys on every down but then never see what he can do. He has to learn both how to feel pressure and read blitzes. He has to learn how to handle the free-man rusher which is a common thing in the NFL. At the same time, Heyer has to learn how to block in space, and he's done well at that.

Your version of helping Campbell would only set the entire team back, because you appear to think Campbell should be kept away from competitive situations that teach him something, in the hope his vast potential will emerge in a safe room.

Preseason is a luxury only winning, well stocked teams can afford. For the losers its damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't see the Mannings, Breeses, and Palmers being put at the risk of a rookie tackle in a meaningless game ... and rightfully so.

Preseason is a luxury only winning, well stocked teams can afford. For the losers its damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't see the Mannings, Breeses, and Palmers being put at the risk of a rookie tackle in a meaningless game ... and rightfully so.

You don't know what the **** you are talking about, Manning played last night with a rookie on the O Line.

Check out the highlights from the Colts/Bears game:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801a066c

On just about every play Manning takes a hit because their rookie LT can't hold his block. Heyer has performed MUCH better than this guy. My point: even the Super Bowl champs, who are built on offense, have O-line depth issues. Every team does. To suggest that this is solely a Redskin problem is ludicrous.

And please stop assuming the hit on JC's legs was Heyer's fault.

Check out this video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80195f1b

Go to the 1:33 mark for the best angle.

The defense was a 3-4 with a weak side slant (the linemen slant to their right). Everyone on the line blocked the correct guy, except for Pucillo. Instead of moving to his left WITH the slant and WITH the entire O-line, Pucillo blocks the nose tackle, who was Rabach's guy. Heyer's assignment on that play was to take the WLB should he blitz, then help out on the DE if the WLB drops into coverage. That is exactly what Heyer did. If Pucillo slides to his left with the other O-Linemen, he blocks the DE until Heyer can help and JC is never touched.

Bottom line, Heyer played another solid game in pass protection and should not be blamed for the hit on JC. He has held his own out there and is consistently providing quality protection on the blindside.

You apparently aren't following Manning right now :0.

That was good for the most ill-informed post of the month.

Rookies have been the "1st man up" for all 3 of these QBs recently. Levi Jones goes down and a rookie is next in line. Same for Manning last night. Brees had a 5th round rookie guard playing for him last year.

If I know a promising young artist who had the potential to become a star and I buy one of her paintings for $500' date=' I would probably put in a safe place away from direct sunlight. I wouldn't hang it on the front porch, beacuse "She deserves no special status yet."[/quote']

I was prepared to give you a pass until you made this nonsensical comparison between art and football. You should be watching the opera and stop worrying about football.

I was prepared to give you a pass until you made this nonsensical comparison between art and football. You should be watching the opera and stop worrying about football.

I like opera.

And you clearly did poorly on your SATs, because you don't recognize analogies.

Also...."Prepared to give me a pass?" Are you going to beat me up after the Homecoming dance now?

I like opera.

And you clearly did poorly on your SATs' date=' because you don't recognize analogies.

Also...."Prepared to give me a pass?" Are you going to beat me up after the Homecoming dance now?[/quote']

You clearly did not score as high as I did because you used a strained analogy or non sequitor....does not logically follow.

The only one bringing up the use of violence is you. I thought maybe you were just being irrational. Clearly you are irrational and stupid.

We are no more committed to Campbell long term than we were Ramsey. . . .

Really?? Patrick Ramsey wasn't a Gibbs guy, and I never sensed that Gibbs was comfortable with him. Brunell had to practically pull his uniform pants down and crap on the 50 yard line before Gibbs reluctantly turned the keys over to Ramsey.

On the other hand, Gibbs paid dearly to position the team to draft Campbell, and handed him the reins halfway through his rookie year. Now Gibbs is betting his second-term legacy on the right arm of Jason Campbell.

Really?? Patrick Ramsey wasn't a Gibbs guy, and I never sensed that Gibbs was comfortable with him. Brunell had to practically pull his uniform pants down and crap on the 50 yard line before Gibbs reluctantly turned the keys over to Ramsey.

On the other hand, Gibbs paid dearly to position the team to draft Campbell, and handed him the reins halfway through his rookie year. Now Gibbs is betting his second-term legacy on the right arm of Jason Campbell.

And if he fails, you can welcome Jemarcus Russell or Dante Culpepper next year.

And if he fails, you can welcome Jemarcus Russell or Dante Culpepper next year.

Define failure. Seriously, how quick do you think they'll pull the plug on the Jason Campbell Experiment? It really is an interesting question to ponder. The conventional thinking is that you've got to have some patience with young quarterbacks. Troy Aikman sucked his 1st year in the league.

Does the fact that Gibbs only has this year and next on his contract factor into this? Should it?

Define failure. Seriously, how quick do you think they'll pull the plug on the Jason Campbell Experiment? It really is an interesting question to ponder. The conventional thinking is that you've got to have some patience with young quarterbacks. Troy Aikman sucked his 1st year in the league.

Does the fact that Gibbs only has this year and next on his contract factor into this? Should it?

Hard to define failure. Ramsey "failed" in ways we as fans did not really appreciate or understand. Some of the intangibles that drove Spurrier crazy -- i.e. touch, ability to throw between levels, timing of the throws to throw before breaks and, importantly, quick release and accountibility for the QBs man in a pressure situation -- drove Gibbs crazy. I still think in the right offense Ramsey could be a very nice player.

If Campbell can't pick up a complex blitz and is prone to turnovers, you can see the team sour on him reasonably quickly. What definition of failure that means I can not say. My hope is it never comes into play.

Archived