Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Halftime review -- Woe is Jansen.

Art

So, I've been out on vacation, on-call then on deadline the last three weeks. Tonight at 6 p.m. is the first time I've even really logged in, so, I'm a bit behind. Watching tonight's game, a few things stand out.

1. Jansen is getting completely housed. His man is into his body destroying him seemingly on every play. It's very frustrating because if he would block just a little, Campbell could have some more room to make plays.

2. Campbell was ok. He had one bad throw on the outside pass to ARE. He was, otherwise, on target generally. He fumbled twice, which is extremely negative. He probably has to be responsible for the first one. ARE dropped that one pass else we'd have probably scored on that drive. A couple of very nice passes were well defensed. Then he missed on the Espy corner. In all you take out of this we do threaten the intermediate to deep passes more than with Brunell. Campbell had one exquisite throw -- the short flat pass to ARE on third down. Nothing to get excited about though. Nothing to be discouraged by.

3. The defense was solid overall. In particular Fletcher was fantastic. Rocky was in position nicely. Montgomery was tremendous. He held up his man and totally owned him with nice leverage and arm extension. The defensive line did particularly well against the run, though not a ton of direct pass rush without a blitz. You certainly breathe better tonight than after last year's opener.

In all the team has neither done enough to be happy with or so much to be upset by. Our backups should be better than the Titans as we have so many vets to see and we will likely end up winning. If so, that's ok for a team that wins so infrequently. The biggest positive right now is the defense. That's probably the most important thing anyway.

I pretty much agree with all of that. I'm not discouraged by anything Ive seen other than the offensive line.

Except No. 74 seems like a great find, which may be enough to counter the negative of Jansen who you can expect to improve.

2. Campbell was ok. He had one bad throw on the outside pass to ARE. He was, otherwise, on target generally. He fumbled twice, which is extremely negative. He probably has to be responsible for the first one. ARE dropped that one pass else we'd have probably scored on that drive. A couple of very nice passes were well defensed. Then he missed on the Espy corner. In all you take out of this we do threaten the intermediate to deep passes more than with Brunell. Campbell had one exquisite throw -- the short flat pass to ARE on third down. Nothing to get excited about though. Nothing to be discouraged by.

I think you ought to be discouraged by the fact that the "off-season improvement" of Campbell was a myth. He is still as inaccurate and inconsistent as last year. He still has some mechanics issues and look unsure in the pocket with happy feet a couple of times.

He isn't a rookie. This is his third year. They should have his consistency and mechanics problems fixed by now. That is supposedly what was worked on last year. Yet he still made some poor throws and "rookie" mistakes.

JC is a heartbreaker, I think. He shows you some good things (e.g., the nice out to ARE) that get you salivating, then he makes a couple bad plays.

6 of 14 with 2 fumbles and 0 points is something to be discouraged about.

That being said, I think the defense is promising. Hopefully its because of the D and not that Tennesee/Collins is THAT bad. But the D is promising.

Not impressed with the o-line in run or pass blocking. Campbell looked better than average but can still improve more. Defensively, we looked good and we did not even blitz very much until the end of the half. Great run stuffing but need more pressure on the qb.

SMG,

Not sure you're actually watching this game. Campbell did nothing tonight to think he hasn't improved and he did nothing tonight to think he's a Pro Bowler. He had a lot of pressure quickly which ruined a few plays. His accuracy was very good. One drop and two well defensed passes, with a high number of deep and intermediate passes, is fine. His worst pass was the short high through to ARE. The corner to Espy was also a miss, but, for me, more of a timing miss due to not really playing with Espy like the other top receivers.

Man, I am worried a little about the O-Line.

Campbell was average. Not bad, not good. It looks like he's making good reads and he didn't appear to force anything. He had two overthrows that he would like to have back and needs to hold onto the first fumble.

Heyer was ok. Some good and some bad. He should have been called for holding once, but I'll take a no-call every time. Heyer was 100% responsible for the missed assignment on the first fumble but he did hold his own some other times.

Good stuff, Art. If Jansen looks this bad again, it might be time to start thinking about putting Wade at right tackle -- he certainly looked good in his one start there last year.

Good thing we just gave Jon that big extension. Geez.

Defense looks so much better than last year. Makes me very optimistic.

JC will be fine. Up and down, but fine. We should all just calm down about him because Brunell is so obviously done.

SMG,

Not sure you're actually watching this game.

It's hard to take his analysis seriously Art when SMG makes statements like this in the gamethread:

If he could take those plays where he makes great throws and do that every time, then yes, he would be an awesome QB. He just has some infuriating consistency problem.

In other words, Jason has to be perfect.

:doh:

One item of concern not mentioned:

Clanked FG try and then kicked out of bounds. Suisham wasn't able to win a job in Dallas and looks like he did with them. Might be a good time to get another kicker in while its early in the pre-season.

TheFan

Standouts:

Heyer

Montgomery

Golston

D-Line overall...everyone is getting pressure, they look great

Blades

Fletcher

Sadness:

Every reciever not named Santana

Smoot and Rogers - getting beat on slants

Jasons fumbles (although I think he has played well even with them)

Offensive line

Running game - no betts no portis no chance

I think you ought to be discouraged by the fact that the "off-season improvement" of Campbell was a myth. He is still as inaccurate and inconsistent as last year. He still has some mechanics issues and look unsure in the pocket with happy feet a couple of times.

He isn't a rookie. This is his third year. They should have his consistency and mechanics problems fixed by now. That is supposedly what was worked on last year. Yet he still made some poor throws and "rookie" mistakes.

JC is a heartbreaker, I think. He shows you some good things (e.g., the nice out to ARE) that get you salivating, then he makes a couple bad plays.

That being said, I think the defense is promising. Hopefully its because of the D and not that Tennesee/Collins is THAT bad. But the D is promising.

Man puh-lease...when your o'line does not block and you get blindsided...whatever...Campbell is legit he made some bigtime throws today...and proved that if he gets TIME....he can make a play.

Man puh-lease...when your o'line does not block and you get blindsided...whatever...Campbell is legit he made some bigtime throws today...and proved that if he gets TIME....he can make a play.

The offensive line didnt give up the sack. Campbell eitherway should of protected the ball. He should of been aware that he had a DB blitzing. Offensive tackles dont usually block DB thats for TE, RB and FB to do.

I agree. When your offense struggles to score 17 points a game last year and you do nothing to upgrade or improve it, you get the same result. An offense that can't score.:doh: Another long season unless something changes fast.

Archived