Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOXSports: Quinn agrees to 5-year deal with Browns

drowland

Haven't even heard about Russell. He's screwing himself IMO. You need the reps, you need to be in camp and you need to learn. Quinn screwed his season and gets a bunch of crap from everyone in here, yet Russell hasn't been heard from since the last OTA's.

Why don't the Jets and Revis have th 6th year a players option year if he meets certain escalators and the team's option if he doesn't? Can you say compromise?

I agree, at some point i think the Jets have to blink here. They traded up to get this guy, which obviously shows you the value they have in him.

:applause: It's about time :rolleyes: . He had to sign, he was real close to building some resentment for him among the fans in Cleveland. This deal had to get done. Now that the numbers are out, he's going to have to prove he's worthy of a 1st round pick for next year.

Haven't even heard about Russell. He's screwing himself IMO. You need the reps, you need to be in camp and you need to learn. Quinn screwed his season and gets a bunch of crap from everyone in here, yet Russell hasn't been heard from since the last OTA's.

Why don't the Jets and Revis have th 6th year a players option year if he meets certain escalators and the team's option if he doesn't? Can you say compromise?

I think the Raiders screwed themselves. Having the #1 overall pick, they had the luxary of negotiating before the draft. They had the opportunity to leverage Russell, Johnson, Quinn and whoever else against each other to get a deal done quick. They didn't do that and now Russell's just sitting their saying "Hey, give me $30 mil gureenteed."

Yeah, and then you get the Browns pick too.

Man, that still cracks me up. :laugh:

I heard somewhere Revis was so far from getting a deal done that he's considering re-entering the draft. Don't know if there is any truth to that but it would suck for the Jets. Apparently his uncle sat out a season while in a contract dipute with the Redskins. His uncle is Sean Gilbert.

That sucks. I've said it a thousand times already, but I'll say it again - never before has it been so apparent that the NFL is in need of a slotting system. :(

Revis & the Jets haven't even talked numbers yet. The negotiations started, the Jets said they want a six year deal. Revis wants a five year deal (like every rookie has signed this year).

Thats as far as they've gotten.......

There have been quite a few 6 year deals, IIRC...

I think the Raiders screwed themselves. Having the #1 overall pick, they had the luxary of negotiating before the draft. They had the opportunity to leverage Russell, Johnson, Quinn and whoever else against each other to get a deal done quick. They didn't do that and now Russell's just sitting their saying "Hey, give me $30 mil gureenteed."

You don't think this was the same exact problem they had before the draft? :laugh: Of course Russell was going to want ridiculous money all along.

There have been quite a few 6 year deals, IIRC...

http://godlovesthegators.blogspot.com/2007/07/contract-details-of-2007-first-round.html

i looked it up, there have been 4 so far. Thomas, Adams, Okoye, & Harrell.

Note this is slightly out of date.....

It is my understanding that each of these contracts include the 6th year being voidable based on certain incentives, so in essense they're 5 year deals as well....

You don't think this was the same exact problem they had before the draft? :laugh: Of course Russell was going to want ridiculous money all along.

He also wanted to be the #1 overall pick. These guys have egos. And they're aware if they play hardball at that point they risk going lower and losing money. That's why if you can get in the same ballpark on a contract before the draft, the deal can get down quicker. The Raiders never got serious about it and it's going to cost them more. They have no leverage now.

Supposedly the Raiders are playing real hard nose with "skill guarantee" clauses in the contract. Meaning if the Raiders cut him because he isn't good(as opposed to injury), then they don't have to pay him a significant portion of the contract. Apparently this is quite unusual for rookie contracts (i.e it is unusual for that situation to favor the team)

I do agree that Quinn has had some undeserved flak on this board, relative to what other players have done. Leinart was in a similiar situation last year and held out even longer, yet I don't remember nearly as much smack talk.

I do agree that Quinn has had some undeserved flak on this board, relative to what other players have done. Leinart was in a similiar situation last year and held out even longer, yet I don't remember nearly as much smack talk.

I think it's because a lot of people hate Notre Dame.

Archived