Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AOL SPorts: NFL 30 To Watch: Kedric Golston, DT, Redskins

Dead Money

Can a Coach Like Joe Gibbs Ever Be On The Hot Seat?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Can a Coach Like Joe Gibbs Ever Be On The Hot Seat?

• Yes
    • No

I know this is just really a blog but I was excited to see it published nationally along with a bunch of other up and comers....

NFL 30 To Watch: Kedric Golston, Defensive Tackle, Washington Redskins

Ryan Wilson

Posted Jul 25th 2007 10:32PM by Ryan Wilson

Filed under: Redskins, NFC East, Washington, DC

A regular look at 30 people who will affect the 2007 NFL season.

After being one of the league's best defenses in 2005, the Redskins plummeted to 32nd last year. The club also ranked dead last in pass defense, but that was partly due to an inadequate pass rush. Injuries, old age and a stubborn assistant head coach - defense all conspired against the 'Skins in '06, but heading into the draft it was clear what needed to be done: Washington had to draft a defensive lineman, preferably a bad-ass pass rusher.

Because Dan Snyder is ... well, Dan Snyder, the team drafted safety LaRon Landry with the sixth-overall pick. Head coach Joe Gibbs even declared that the defensive line was in fine shape (which explains why the Redskins didn't take one with any of their five draft picks).

Well, maybe Gibbs was onto something: second-year player Kedric Golston could be the control-the-line-of-scrimmage d-lineman Washington was looking for. The '06 sixth-round pick has packed on 20 pounds and is a favorite with the coaching staff.

Bottom line: Ultimately, Golston's success will rely, in part, on the health of Phillip Daniels and Cornelius Griffin, and if Andre Carter can put together a complete season. Still, Golston's ability to clog the middle and draw double-teams should help Washington improve on their anemic sack totals from a year ago. (Hey, you gotta crawl before you walk. )

Thanks to Hogs Haven for the lowdown on Golston.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/30ToWatch/

I think those twenty pounds he put on this offseason are going to make all the difference. It'll be much harder to push him off the line of scrimmage, which seemed to happen frequently last season. Ready for some action! Bring on the preseason!

Wow, I too am surprised that anyone outside of our fanbase knows about him. Last year he showed more than a few flashes of being a DLine playmaker. Whenever he was in, he was always around the ball and his name was always being mentioned, much like Sean Taylor or Marcus Washington. It would be nice if Golston improved and gave our DLine some much-needed depth.

I am shocked that people outside of our fan base know about him like that . . . But yeah, I really hope that both Golston and Montgomery can become solid if not dominant DTs.

Me to, i think that both of them should become at least good players. Gloston is goin to be a nice one gapper and Montgomery will be a nice two gapper. I hope they both get some playing time this year.

"Because Dan Snyder is ... well, Dan Snyder, the team drafted safety LaRon Landry with the sixth-overall pick. Head coach Joe Gibbs even declared that the defensive line was in fine shape (which explains why the Redskins didn't take one with any of their five draft picks)."

I guess when you need to fill blog space, writing stuff like this is easier than doing any real analysis or research.

I am shocked that people outside of our fan base know about him like that . . . But yeah, I really hope that both Golston and Montgomery can become solid if not dominant DTs.
He did thanks to "Hogs Haven for the lowdown on Golston." I'm guessing that that is some type of website/message board. :whoknows:

No way for me to know...I live here. :D

Me to, i think that both of them should become at least good players. Gloston is goin to be a nice one gapper and Montgomery will be a nice two gapper. I hope they both get some playing time this year.

I dunno, given the amount of weight Golston has added and the fact that Monty dropped some weight, I'm thinking they may be eyeing Golston as a two gapper.

If he lives up to this, proposed nickname:

Kedric "The Double-Teamer" :)

(ducking) Hey, guys, I'm working here.

Terrible, Larry. Just terrible. :)

I've actually heard that between Golston and Montgomery, Montgomery is the more naturally talented. Now he made less of an impact last year do to a complacent attitude because he, like many talented athletes, believed that he could continue a long line of domination with minimal effort, like he did at lower levels of competition. He discovered that he does have to put in a full effort to get on the field and play well.

I've heard he HAS put in this effort and come ready to play this year, with a great off-season in both his mental and physical preparation.

Here's hoping both Kedric and Anthony can contribute in their sophomore seasons. :cheers:

I dunno, given the amount of weight Golston has added and the fact that Monty dropped some weight, I'm thinking they may be eyeing Golston as a two gapper.

Well he did start as one last year. The problem being he was under 300 pounds trying to take on double teams. I dont know if 20 pounds is going to be enough, but I do know one thing...

The kid plays real hard, and penitrates. If he now has the strength to handle double teams without getting blow back as he did last year, he's going to be very solid for us. I'd like to see him closer to 330 though as a 2 gap. Still you know your going to get his "A" game on every play, and I can live with that.

I liked what I saw of Golston last year, but anyone that thinks having him in there is going to suddenly transform our DL into a pass-rushing force is on something, or watched Transformers and thought it was real. First off, he does not even have the starting spot locked up - although he has a decent shot at getting it. Secondly, even when he WAS in there starting last season, we had some of our worst statistical defensivegames. Even though he looked very good on some plays, the line as a whole stunk it up last year, and never had any consistent pressure on the QB. The same 4 guys are not magically going to "transform" this year. The pressure will have to come from elsewhere. Hopefully, GW will do a better job of keeping that from opening up OTHER gaping holes this year, but I don't have any confidence in that. I just hope the awesome offense we will have will overcome the defensive deficiencies.

If the DL can be healthy this year I don't think a "transformation" is needed. But Golston is 110% effort player, and that is very contagious. If nothing else his weight gain shows his dedication to football, and the Skins'. From his play and attitude as a ROOKIE last year that's pretty much what I expected from him in the off-season.

Archived