Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2007 Training Camp - Day 1 (Final)

JimmiJo

ES COVERAGE: 2007 TRAINING CAMP - DAY 1

07/27/07

CP.JPG

:helmet:

So it begins...

Howdy boys and girls, JimmiJo here, early and often. I can't tell you how MF'ing excited I am to be here on Day 1 of the Washington Redskins 2007 Training Camp! My partner, TheMurf, will join me later this afternoon as practice does not begin until 5:00PM. However, the players are set to arrive in about an hour and we are told some may be available for interviews shortly thereafter.

Plus if you don't get here early for today, you don't get a seat as everybody and their brother will be out for Day 1 of camp.

Stand by for updates. I don't have much for you now. I did hear that the LaRon Landry negotiations are ongoing and that there are no big issues, just a matter of ironing out the details.

Quick note, just saw Mike Sellers, Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, and others arriving...

1:10PM Update

Folks are starting to arrive in earnest now. Coach Gibbs drove up a while ago. Cooley, Randle El, and others are rolling in...

2:05PM Update

Just got back in from interviewing Clinton Portis and Marcus Washington. I suspect that both will be posted on Redskins.com, but not sure. I will see if I can get some audio of it up.

Stand by...

3:25PM Update

Murf is in the house and God, is he sexy!

This place is now packed. I ran out for lunch and saw many fans tailgating on the median of Loudon County Parkway. Upon my return the team was letting fans in to park, and they are already out in force.

Way to represent.

So now we wait until 5PM for the festivities to begin. I am jacked up, Murf is glistening, and we are ready for some football.

4:45PM Update

The fans have been let in, the skies are holding, and I'm guessing they will let us down on the fields soon.

See you on the other side.

QUOTES

To read Redskin's coach and player comments from Day 1 of Training Camp click '>HERE

AUDIO

To listen to Marcus Washington pre-practice click HERE

To listen to Clinton Portis pre-practice click HERE

To listen to Ladell Betts click HERE

To listen to London Fletcher click HERE

To listen to Casey Rabach click HERE

To listen to Vernon Fox click HERE

To listen to Jason Campbell click HERE

To listen to Rocky McIntosh click HERE

To listen to Khary Campbell click HERE

To listen to Byron Westbrook click HERE

To listen to Reed Doughty click HERE

To listen to Phillip Daniels click HERE

To listen to Pierson Prioleau click HERE

To listen to Todd Collins click HERE

To listen to H.B. Blades click HERE

To listen to Rock Cartwright click HERE

To listen to Jon Jansen click HERE

To listen to Jerametrius Butler click HERE

To listen to Corey Bradford click HERE

PHOTOS

Murf 1 - http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204235

Murf 2 - http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204236

Murf 3 - http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204238

Murf 4 - http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204239

7:25PM Update

Just back in from practice and interviews. Stand by for photos, lots of audio, and write-ups.

Pssst, Murf is posted up on my shoulder annoying the hell out of me, but still glistening...

Murf’s Take

Good day all, murf here coming at you live from Redskins Park for the first day of training camp. I don’t know about you guys, but with all of the negative stories on the sports page these days today couldn’t come soon enough for me. About an hour before practice it looked like the weather might get ugly, but thankfully the gods love their football and held off the storm. Or something like that.

Today being the first day of camp I had a ton of hot button questions for the players, fans and even the media – none more important than who should I keep for my fantasy football team, Drew Brees or Laurence Maroney? With my draft right around the corner this was of the utmost importance. Fortunately, everyone is an expert these days and the overwhelming answer was Drew Brees. Now, with that out of the way, I was ready to concentrate on training camp.

Right off the bat it was readily apparent that the 2007 training camp will be more physical. Guys were swarming to the ball and there was a ton of hitting going on. No cheap shots or anything; just good, solid hitting.

I came in hoping to focus on Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, Marcus Washington, Randy Thomas and the rest of the guys who are returning from injuries. Portis looked to be completely back, as he darted and weaved through traffic during seven on seven and nine on nine drills. Moss was burning past defenders on out routes and also looked very sharp. Didn’t see a ton of Marcus, as I ended up watching the running backs and the offense in general more today, but when I did see him he looked good. On one particular play he leaped to full extension and deflected a Jason Campbell pass he had absolutely no business getting his hands on. It was some kind of Dikembe Mutumbo moment or something – just a thing of beauty. Hopefully the guys stay healthy so we can start to figure out if the talent is here to make a legit run at the division.

After stretching and special teams the team did some one-on-one drills. The match-up of the century for me was McIntosh versus Cartwright in the Battle of the Rock. Winner keeps the name – loser gets called Eugene from here on out. Well, Blondie will be happy to know that Cartwright schooled the youngster and is officially the Redskins top Rock.

Another individual who I watched a lot today was Casey Bramlet, the NFL Europa star quarterback. He looked very solid and had more zip on his passes than I remembered. I’m by no means a talent evaluator, but I’ll tell you in my humble opinion he’ll be giving Todd Collins a real run for his money when the final cuts come.

Speaking of quarterbacks, Jason Campbell had a so-so day today. Maybe it was better than that, but I watched him complete every single pass he attempted on day one of mini-camp and expected more of the same today. His first pass during nine on nine drills should have been picked off by Sean Taylor, who did a wonderful job of hiding behind Chris Cooley until the ball was in the air and then darted out to make a play on the ball. He got both hands on it and would have taken it to the house if he held on to it.

Later during the same drills, rookie tight end Tyler Ecker got hit right in the bread basket on a pass from Mark Brunell, but somehow managed to drop it. If that’s what he’s bringing to the table on offense, then he might want to go ahead and bulk up now and focus on blocking. I’m just sayin’…

All in all, Marcus Washington, Sean Taylor and Andre Carter caught my attention on defense, while Ladell Betts, Santana Moss and Mike Espy stood out on offense. Speaking of Betts, he impressed the hell out of me when Sean Taylor hit him and Betts managed to drag the safety three or four yards after contact. Once he gets going north and south, it’s hard to stop Betts.

I point out the Betts play because, by in large, the defense outshined the offense today. The offense really looked a step behind the defense most of the day and had to routinely settle for dump offs because nothing deep was ever there. It’s only the first day, but with thousands of fans in attendance, the defense did it’s job and won the first battle of training camp. That’s all from me, I’ll have more for you all tomorrow. Hugs,

murf.

JimmiJo’s Corner

It is always a pleasure to watch practice with other fans here. I can tell by many of the comments that you guys had a good eye for what was going on today.

Murf nailed it when he spoke to the physicality of play today. That is what stuck out for me. I watched Mike Sellers run over a group of tacklers, one of whom was Sean Taylor. The very next play poor Derrick Blaylock paid for it when Khary Campbell and Omar Stoutmire put the smackdown on him after he caught a pass on the flat.

The defense did a good job of taking away the deep ball as every thing was down and out and in the flat. The best ball I saw thrown today was a 20 yard down and out from Jason Campbell to Carl Berman. Another great throw and catch was Casey Bramlet to Tyler Ecker, who made a nice fingertip grab on a seam route.

Santana Moss looked very sharp today, running precise routes and making nice cuts. He caught everything near him. After him Randle El did a nice job with good run-after-catch yards.

As Murf said Portis looked good, as did Betts. I didn’t see Cartwright do too much. Blaylock looked ok.

But once again the story was the defense. If they were allowed to hit QBs I think at least two would have been carted off. I saw double-blitzing from the corners, and at times good penetration in the middle.

As others mentioned, today was all business with a quick tempo. The session was one and one-half hours only, which is about 15 minutes shorter than normal. However, those who were here were treated to more 7-on-7, 9-on-9, and 11-on-11 practice than a session normally brings.

Because of the crowd noise (and one fan in particular who yells non-stop – you know who you are) I couldn’t really get any quotes during the action. Tomorrow morning should be better.

Speaking of which, I have to be up early to get here for the 8:30AM practice for media only.

For the Murf, this is JimmiJo signing off…

BTW - You probably already heard that Randy Thomas did not practice because of knee soreness.

ES COVERAGE: 2007 TRAINING CAMP - DAY 1

07/27/07

So it begins...

Howdy boys and girls, JimmiJo here, early and often. I can't tell you how MF'ing excited I am to be here on Day 1 of the Washington Redskins 2007 Training Camp! My partner, TheMurf, will join me later this afternoon as practice does not begin until 5:00PM. However, the players are set to arrive in about an hour and we are told some may be available for interviews shortly thereafter.

Plus if you don't get here early for today, you don't get a seat as everybody and their brother will be out for Day 1 of camp.

Stand by for updates. I don't have much for you now. I did hear that the LaRon Landry negotiations are ongoing and that there are no big issues, just a matter of ironing out the details.

Quick note, just saw Mike Sellers, Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, and others arriving...

HALLELEULIAH!

So will they hit Jason ?

No. QBs are not to be hit during practice, ever. They wear yellow jerseys so the players know they are different. This will be true also during scrimmage with the Ravens. The exhibition games will be the first chance for guys to touch QBs.

JimmiJo and Murf

Thanks a million for this. For us unable to get away from the work desk this is the coolest.

Can you please keep an eye on London Fletcher, see if he is calling adjustments or what type of leadership he shows in drills.

He is our biggest offseason move. I cant wait to see a general who leads by example on the field for our defense. (you all thought Antonio Pierce was good.....get ready)

Archived