Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaRon Landry watch - agent is Joel Segal

SkinsNatsFan

Since the Redskins now have only Landry to work with regarding a contract prior to training camp, I looked for more information about his agent. Obviously I would really like to see Landry make it in for the first day of camp so that he doesn't have a holdout working against him as he works towards getting into the starting lineup. It appears to me that holdouts, especially long holdouts, often seem to be agent related rather than team or player related.

This is a little info about Segal's history and recent history with regard to first round picks and contracts/holdouts from an article about Reggie Bush's potential holdout on the day the Saints were to report to training camp...

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-24/1153982848142040.xml&coll=1

Since Segal negotiated his initial contract for a first-round draft pick in 1993, his clients have experienced holdouts from zero to 25 days. Segal has represented 13 first-round draft choices. Of those first-round picks, four have not missed any camp time, successfully coming to terms by the time of their team's first practice.

One, John Copeland, one of Segal's first clients, missed a total of 25 days -- virtually all of the Cincinnati Bengals' 1993 training camp.

Bush held out 2 days.

Others he represents ...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070529/cltu099.html?.v=45

An impressive roster of NFL clients will join Segal in the move to Blue Equity, including Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush, Quarterbacks Jason Campbell and Tarvaris Jackson, rookie standout Marques Colston, Pro Bowlers DeAngelo Hall, Muhsin Muhammad, Darren Sharper, Will Smith and Michael Vick, as well as three 2007 first round draft picks Levi Brown (#5), LaRon Landry (#6) and Craig Davis (#30). Segal was the only agent to have two picks in the top ten in this year's draft.

Strictly from an agent's history point of view it seems like a long holdout is unlikely, although there was definitely a lot of posturing prior to Bush signing. But I do wonder how Segal representing the both 5th and the 6th picks this year will help and/or hurt the chances of Landry being able to report to camp on time.

I hate holdouts. They are rookies. Prove yourself before you hold out.

If Sean Taylor held out, he would have received a much better deal. We don't have a strong history of paying our own players that out perform their rookie contract. Cooley being one.

my thoughts exactly...just be glad someone wanted you in the first place. then go out and play with a chip on your shoulder and make people want to get in a bidding war over your services come free agency.

my thoughts exactly...just be glad someone wanted you in the first place. then go out and play with a chip on your shoulder and make people want to get in a bidding war over your services come free agency.

They're usually more agent related than player related. It's usually that the agent wants more for his 3% cut than the initial offer so he holds his client out in order to make his money.

I think the Skins and Landry will hammer out a deal right before camp begins. I think Coach Williams and Coach Gibbs know its important to have LL in camp to get down the Defensive scheme. I think a deal will get done with no holdout.

They're usually more agent related than player related. It's usually that the agent wants more for his 3% cut than the initial offer so he holds his client out in order to make his money.

Very good point! Sadly its all about the money, both ways.

I think the Skins and Landry will hammer out a deal right before camp begins. I think Coach Williams and Coach Gibbs know its important to have LL in camp to get down the Defensive scheme. I think a deal will get done with no holdout.

:hammer: :hammer:

i agree, but the reality of the situation is that rookies get paid good money right out of college, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

this is the one area the NBA has right. rookie contracts are already in place, and capped off. never once do you hear stories of NBA rookies holding out

One note to all that is that extended holdouts often end up costing the player in the long run. From the goodwill of the fanbase which equates to marketing potential to the reduced ability to play at a high level out of the gate in the NFL.

Holding out simply rarely pays off in the long run.

^ is this guy really braggin about having a thread mentioned on Riggo's show? :laugh:

I > You

Riggo > Me > You

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love good jokes.

I think we all do, yet everyone will think I'm serious ;)

:wtf: do you mean by that?

http://www.answers.com/bust&r=67

Someone obviously wants some attention. Because that is a idiotic statement. Especially when the guy hasn't played a snap.

He was trash and college, he'll be the same in the NFL

That's a terrible idea IMO. They shouldn't just let the teams they play for take advantage of them like that. They pretty much know how much they are worth, and they should get as much as they can.

The only thing I would have a problem is would be if they're asking too much, which is probably more of a fault of their agent.

The only worrisome thing is the later first round picks haven't begun to fall in line since Olsen signed with the Bears. We'll need to see a lot more picks get signed before Landry so he knows how good his deal looks. We are at the mercy of the rest of the league to get their picks signed as to whether he will holdout.

i agree, but the reality of the situation is that rookies get paid good money right out of college, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

this is the one area the NBA has right. rookie contracts are already in place, and capped off. never once do you hear stories of NBA rookies holding out

exzactly...

some of us fans look at holdouts as player greed when really its just a matter of perception.

lets say you make 20 dollars an hour. one of your fellow employees (who is not as good at his job as you are) just signed a 10 year contract for 40 dollars and hour with a huge signing bonus.

the company you work for doesnt want to let you go so they make you there franchise employee guaranteeing you 45 dollars an hour with no bonus but for only one year and if you get hurt or your performance drops you are out on your ass.

I for one would want the long contract and would probably holdout for it. now people are gonna say but thats different these guys are making millions but like i said its a matter of perception, the guy who works at burger king making minimum wage would probably call me a greedy s.o.b. for not being happy making so much more than he does.

Archived