Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaRon Landry watch - agent is Joel Segal

SkinsNatsFan

I think all rookies should cry about the team drafting them, then force a trade to a "better" big market team (Dallas, NY, Philly) and demand big big money. They should then suck big time at the position. An ideal scenario would be a QB forcing a trade to one of these three teams and have the worse pass percentage, behind Michael Vick, for their first 500 pass attempts in the NFL. That is how rookies should handle themselves :)

Nobody holds out anymore. Everyone is slotted. Find out what the #6 pick got last year' date=' add 5 to 10 percent and move on.[/quote']

Thanks for clearing that up for us. So what do we call the guys who miss the beginning of training camp because they haven't signed a contract yet?

Thanks for clearing that up for us. So what do we call the guys who miss the beginning of training camp because they haven't signed a contract yet?

Players from the 1980s?

There have not been very been holdouts this century and those that occur typically last less than a week. Every year, one or two rookies go on protracted holdouts (Cedric Benson in 2006...PacMan Jones in 2005), but by and large, everyone is in camp within the first few days. And - frankly - the players that hold out get exactly what they were slotted to get. Holdouts don't make any sense in a salary cap era.

(Big surprise...the one agent who still utilizes the holdout seems to be Rosenhaus).

If he has Levi at #5 then he will probably wait to do Landry's contract until he is done with Levi, unless he gets a really high contract from the skins, in which case he could then push Brown's price up - but that probably won't happen. The good news is that once Brown does his contract, Landry's should just be a matter of formula.

Players from the 1980s?

There have not been very been holdouts this century and those that occur typically last less than a week. Every year' date=' one or two rookies go on protracted holdouts (Cedric Benson in 2006...PacMan Jones in 2005), but by and large, everyone is in camp within the first few days. And - frankly - the players that hold out get exactly what they were slotted to get. Holdouts don't make any sense in a salary cap era.

(Big surprise...the one agent who still utilizes the holdout seems to be Rosenhaus).[/quote']

I see. Exaggeration on your part, clarified with even more in the follow up. Understood.

If he has Levi at #5 then he will probably wait to do Landry's contract until he is done with Levi

I'm hoping that that isn't necessarily the formula because it leaves LaRon with more of a chance of missing a day or more. If Landry's signed by the start of training camp, I don't care how Segal does it. But if Landry gets the short end and does miss some camp, it'll hurt him as far as the coaches go. It'd be nice to see him come in without having that particular issue to work through.

Players from the 1980s?

There have not been very been holdouts this century and those that occur typically last less than a week. Every year' date=' one or two rookies go on protracted holdouts (Cedric Benson in 2006...PacMan Jones in 2005), but by and large, everyone is in camp within the first few days. And - frankly - the players that hold out get exactly what they were slotted to get. Holdouts don't make any sense in a salary cap era.

(Big surprise...the one agent who still utilizes the holdout seems to be Rosenhaus).[/quote']

In 2002, Ramsey held out 2 1/2 weeks to the point we were talking to Chicago about trading his rights. Fortunatly Ramsey's agent is not Segal.

Basically though, Rookies really should have a set salary until their 2nd year or something. I mean seriously...what if we paid Taylor amazing money and then he sucks? Good thing we wasted that cap room! Make the guy play his arse off and earn his money. Cooley and Taylor are definitely deserving of new contracts. I hope once Laron gets signed, they will focus on giving Cooley and Taylor nicer contracts for their contributions to the team. However, I would be satisfied making what those guys make. Then again...I don't play in the NFL....I just go to college.

yea sean taylors contract sucks because he didnt hold out. we better sign him up soon with a good deal. hopefully ol dan snyder has something up his sleeve

His contract has a lot of incentives that could make him $62 million in 7 years. Incentive-laden contracts is how it ought to be.

I'm hoping that that isn't necessarily the formula because it leaves LaRon with more of a chance of missing a day or more. If Landry's signed by the start of training camp, I don't care how Segal does it. But if Landry gets the short end and does miss some camp, it'll hurt him as far as the coaches go. It'd be nice to see him come in without having that particular issue to work through.

Missing one or two days doesn't ultimately matter. Players don't start to suffer until they get into the two-week period.

Ultimately, too many fans are stuck in a 1980s mindset where a) there were a lot of really long holdouts and B) training camp was really important.

Between all the mini-camps, rookie camps, off-season workout programs, off-season classroom sessions, etc, training camp doesn't mean very much anymore.

When John Riggins would arrive at camp, he probably had not touched a football since January, had not read his playbook, and was probably 15 pounds overweight. Players now show up in shape and with weeks of practice behind them.

Landry has been at Redskins Park all summer. If he misses two days of work next month, it won't be that big of a deal.

i hate the term holdout with rookie contracts for this reason:

a rookie is NOT ALLOWED to join the team once training camp begins for any physical activity UNLESS he is under a contractual agreement with said team.

they do this because they don't want problems w/injuries prior to a rookie signing, that would be a huge nightmare for both sides. basically, the league/teams are covering their respective behinds w/this ruling.

since this is the case, rookies (for the most part) are unjustly being considered "holdouts" when really, their being "locked-out" of practice/training camps until their contracts are finalized. the fact is, alot of times the teams that are signing said rookies are actually trying to lowball the rookie contract...but sometimes it is vice-versa as well.

it is curious to know what this situation might be as it could be a case where they feel (LL & Segal) that he was worth #3 or #4 money, but as teams drafted on need, he fell to #6. if this is the case then he would be truly holding himself out for more money.

however, it could be a situation where LL & Segal are just trying to get within the slotted amount range of last years' #6 with the additional 5-10% as is the norm. the problem here could be that the Redskins currently have Sean Taylor under a bargain basement rookie contract (especially where he was drafted) at nearly the same position. the thought here could be that the Redskins are trying to get something closer to Taylor's contract in order to prevent any hard feelings about the signing & because they may believe that's all they should pay a rookie at that position until he proves himself.

if this is the case, then it would be the Redskins who are slowing the process.

since i am not directly involved in any negotiations myself...i will hold off any judgements until this issue is settled or more information is brought forth.

i just hope that this is not a case of the Redskins being cheap...pay him & Taylor their money now. keep them both happy & get that 300 pound gorrilla out of Redskin's Park!

Missing one or two days doesn't ultimately matter. Players don't start to suffer until they get into the two-week period.

Ultimately' date=' too many fans are stuck in a 1980s mindset where a) there were a lot of really long holdouts and B) training camp was really important.

Between all the mini-camps, rookie camps, off-season workout programs, off-season classroom sessions, etc, training camp doesn't mean very much anymore.

When John Riggins would arrive at camp, he probably had not touched a football since January, had not read his playbook, and was probably 15 pounds overweight. Players now show up in shape and with weeks of practice behind them.

Landry has been at Redskins Park all summer. If he misses two days of work next month, it won't be that big of a deal.[/quote']

I'm not sure why you think people aren't aware of things from the last 30 years, but thanks for bringing us up to date. Obviously you feel that the first few days of training camp mean nothing, but based on the public reactions of coaches in the recent past, I'd say that they don't agree with you. If you think that Landry will be treated the same in camp regardless of when he reports, you haven't been paying much attention.

His contract has a lot of incentives that could make him $62 million in 7 years. Incentive-laden contracts is how it ought to be.

That's from the team's standpoint. It's the agents job to get their client the most amount of guaranteed money possible because most of their clients will end up as busts.

Obviously you feel that the first few days of training camp mean nothing, but based on the public reactions of coaches in the recent past, I'd say that they don't agree with you.

Coaches are nuts. Seriously, do you think there is one sane coach in the NFL?

Coaches make these kind of insane pronouncements all the time. Here are some reasons:

1. In case the team plays lousy, they want to be able to say: "I will always wonder how things would have gone if everyone had reported on time." It's about setting the groundwork for excuses.

2. I think they honestly believe that by working two minutes longer than another team, they are going to win a close game in November. There is no possible way this is true, but coaches believe a lot of impossible things. Why? Because they are nuts.

There is simply no earthly way that Laron Landry's future can be altered by showing up two days late to camp.

Since the Redskins now have only Landry to work with regarding a contract prior to training camp, I looked for more information about his agent. Obviously I would really like to see Landry make it in for the first day of camp so that he doesn't have a holdout working against him as he works towards getting into the starting lineup. It appears to me that holdouts, especially long holdouts, often seem to be agent related rather than team or player related.

This is a little info about Segal's history and recent history with regard to first round picks and contracts/holdouts from an article about Reggie Bush's potential holdout on the day the Saints were to report to training camp...

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-24/1153982848142040.xml&coll=1

Bush held out 2 days.

Others he represents ...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070529/cltu099.html?.v=45

Strictly from an agent's history point of view it seems like a long holdout is unlikely, although there was definitely a lot of posturing prior to Bush signing. But I do wonder how Segal representing the both 5th and the 6th picks this year will help and/or hurt the chances of Landry being able to report to camp on time.

"POSTURING" ?, Segal is looking for the big "GA-HUNA", especially by him representing the #5 pick which would establish a guage for Landry.

The financial situations in the NFL are rapidly destroying the integrity of the league. The NFL has created its own "monster" by allowing rediculous contracts to activate. Someone has to have the "foresight" to realize that "parameters" have to be set and that they have to be adhered to.

The relationships between the NFL and incoming 1st round draft choices is becoming redundant and ill managed. Do i blame the agents, NO!!, they're trying to "bleed" every dime from a team that they can. Realizing that this has become a business and understanding the nature of the negotiations i abstain.

I hope Landry and the SKINS can agree on a contract that will be profitable for him and within the parameters of his ability.

"POSTURING" ?, Segal is looking for the big "GA-HUNA", especially by him representing the #5 pick which would establish a guage for Landry.

The financial situations in the NFL are rapidly destroying the integrity of the league. The NFL has created its own "monster" by allowing rediculous contracts to activate. Someone has to have the "foresight" to realize that "parameters" have to be set and that they have to be adhered to.

The relationships between the NFL and incoming 1st round draft choices is becoming redundant and ill managed. Do i blame the agents, NO!!, they're trying to "bleed" every dime from a team that they can. Realizing that this has become a business and understanding the nature of the negotiations i abstain.

I hope Landry and the SKINS can agree on a contract that will be profitable for him and within the parameters of his ability.

You regularly use air quotes in conversation, don't you?

Archived