Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaRon Landry watch - agent is Joel Segal

SkinsNatsFan

Unsigned Landry Misses First Day Of Training Camp

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, July 28, 2007; Page E07

First-round draft pick LaRon Landry missed the opening of training camp yesterday while his agent continued contract negotiations with the Washington Redskins, but his absence is not expected to last significantly longer. Coach Joe Gibbs said he believes the sides are close and does not anticipate the sixth overall pick being away from Redskins Park too long.

"I would be disappointed if it took more than a couple of days," Gibbs said. "I think it's close."

All signs pointed to a deal nearing, and sources close to Landry have echoed Gibbs's optimism. However, as Gibbs pointed out repeatedly yesterday, agents are often loath to reach an agreement contract before the player selected just before them has. As of last night the fifth overall pick remained unsigned. Landry, who starred at LSU, has the talent to start right away, and the Redskins have big plans for him.

Getting into camp quickly and in good shape is imperative, though, and defensive coaches are notoriously hard on young players. Pierson Prioleau started alongside safety Sean Taylor yesterday in practice, making a full recovery after suffering a serious knee injury on the opening kickoff of 2006.

Sounds like his agent's other player, Levi Brown, might be holding everything up. Arizona's camp doesn't start until tommorow (7/29)...

I found this on the AZ republic...

No. 1 pick, Cards haggle

Kent Somers

The Arizona Republic

Jul. 27, 2007 10:03 PM

FLAGSTAFF - The Cardinals' first activity on the practice field at training camp is a conditioning test at 2 p.m. today. But the real deadline looming in negotiations for first-round draft pick Levi Brown is 1 p.m. Sunday.

That's when the first regular practice of training camp will be held.

Brown's agent, Joel Segal, exchanged offers with the Cardinals on Friday. The two sides were having "positive dialogue," Segal said.

The parties have agreed on the structure of a contract and are haggling over money. A fair number shouldn't be hard to agree on, because many of the players drafted before and after Brown have signed.

I'm thinking Segal wants Brown signed before Landry. But who knows...

All right Segal, Peterson is signed. There are no more excuses. It's all on you. You've got Brown and Landry, surrounded on both sides by signed players.

Git er done.

2007 FIRST-ROUND SIGNINGS

No. Team Player, Position Contract Length

1 Oakland JaMarcus Russell, QB Unsigned

2 Detroit Calvin Johnson, WR Unsigned

3 Cleveland Joe Thomas, OT 6 years

4 Tampa Bay Gaines Adams, DE 6 years

5 Arizona Levi Brown, OT Unsigned

6 Washington LaRon Landry, FS Unsigned

7 Minnesota Adrian Peterson, RB 5 years

8 Atlanta Jamaal Anderson, DE 5 years

9 Miami Ted Ginn Jr., WR 5 years

10 Houston Amobi Okoye, DT 6 years

11 San Francisco Patrick Willis, LB Unsigned

12 Buffalo Marshawn Lynch, RB 5 years

13 St. Louis Adam Carriker, DE 5 years

14 N.Y. Jets Darelle Revis, CB Unsigned

15 Pittsburgh Lawrence Timmons, LB 5 years

16 Green Bay Justin Harrell, DT 5 years

17 Denver Jarvis Moss, DE Undisclosed

18 Cincinnati Leon Hall, CB 5 years

19 Tennessee Michael Griffin, FS 5 years

20 N.Y. Giants Aaron Ross, CB 5 years

21 Jacksonville Reggie Nelson, FS 5 years

22 Cleveland Brady Quinn, QB Unsigned

23 Kansas City Dwyane Bowe, WR Unsigned

24 New England Brandon Meriweather, FS Undisclosed

25 Carolina Jon Beason, LB Unsigned

26 Dallas Anthony Spencer, DE 5 years

27 New Orleans Robert Meachem, WR 5 years

28 San Francisco Joe Staley, OT 5 years

29 Baltimore Ben Grubbs, G 5 years

30 San Diego Craig Davis, WR 5 years

31 Chicago Greg Olsen, TE 5 years

32 Indianapolis Anthony Gonzalez, WR 5 years

I found this on the AZ republic...

No. 1 pick, Cards haggle

Kent Somers

The Arizona Republic

Jul. 27, 2007 10:03 PM

FLAGSTAFF - The Cardinals' first activity on the practice field at training camp is a conditioning test at 2 p.m. today. But the real deadline looming in negotiations for first-round draft pick Levi Brown is 1 p.m. Sunday.

That's when the first regular practice of training camp will be held.

Brown's agent, Joel Segal, exchanged offers with the Cardinals on Friday. The two sides were having "positive dialogue," Segal said.

The parties have agreed on the structure of a contract and are haggling over money. A fair number shouldn't be hard to agree on, because many of the players drafted before and after Brown have signed.

I'm thinking Segal wants Brown signed before Landry. But who knows...

It does not matter what the stupid agent wants, Landry needs to get off his canester and sign the contract.:mad: In my opinion Landry is making a terrible impression on Redskin fans, not to mention, missing a lot of practice time with the team.

It does not matter what the stupid agent wants, Landry needs to get off his canester and sign the contract.:mad: In my opinion Landry is making a terrible impression on Redskin fans, not to mention, missing a lot of practice time with the team.

I would put this one on the agent. I really believe that Landry wants to play and wants to start more importantly. I blame Segal for not understanding that whatever situation he has between Brown and the Cardinals is severely affecting Landry and the Redskins and it shouldn't be that way. Its too late in the game for Landry to get another agent because they would have to start all over as far as negotiations are concerned and it make take even longer for him to get the deal done with a new agent. I blame Segal.

You would also think that the agent would want Landry signed first, then he could negotiate a better contract for Brown. All I know, is all of this is ruining what I felt was a an off year of good off season. Get the contract signed, get to camp and get ready for the season.

If Landry was serious about playing, he'd sign the stinking contract.

Yes, he does work for Landry. What is your point? There is no contract for Landry to sign. Landry cannot sign an incomplete contract. It is up to the agent to do his job and finish the contract for his client to sign. Again, the blame lies with the agent here.

EDIT: And now he's signed! :applause:

Archived