Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will the offensive line suffer with Todd Wade?

VaBeachSkinzFan

I haven't been on this site in forever so if this has already been discussed please forgive me. I was wondering what everyone thought of having Todd Wade start at LG. The man has been a journeyman tackle since he came into the league and as far as I know he has never played at guard in the NFL. The line really came together in the last 6 or 7 games last year and opened up some huge holes for our running game. Obviously Dockery was a huge part of that. Can Todd Wade fill his shoes?

This has already been talked about tons here. I tried to search and give you a link to a couple but the search didn't work. (Shocker) So i will give my :2cents: which should mean very little to you.

If Buges and Gibbs think that he can play guard then I have no reason to doubt them. It may take time but they can work the magic they always did and still do with the O line. Dockery wasn't living up to his potential and look what they did with him.

Even if Wade can't adapt, he is still a huge asset should Jansen or Samuels go down. He played very well in Jansen's place. And with all this practice at guard at the very worst he is a good utility lineman should we need him.

Welcome back to the site.

If Wade struggles I think Buges believes that this guy Will Whittaker can get it done in his place...I don't expect Wade to struggle, he's a smart guy with great tools, but if he does I'm sure Coach Joe and coach Buges have a plan.

Says Joe Bugel, "I don't like this kid; I love him ... a 350-pound guard who can play both right and left. We worked him out midseason last year and liked him. As soon as the season ended, we couldn't wait to sign him. He's a real solid football player and a real good kid. When we had a chance to get him there was no hesitation on my part at all. He belongs here."

http://www.thehogs.net/content/index.php?id=936

I don't think Wade will be a work-in progress as some think. He's bigger than Dockery and should create a meaningful hole for Portis and Betts to negoiate through.

The big question is can he pull and block down field.

I don't think Wade will be a work-in progress as some think. He's bigger than Dockery and should create a meaningful hole for Portis and Betts to negoiate through.

The big question is can he pull and block down field.

Also in question is if he can get low enough and into his blocks fast enough to keep defenders from getting under his pads. That's what they are working on with him the most it appears from what I have read.

On the interior, Wade will need to angle his body lower to get better leverage against burly defensive tackles. "I'm 6-8, so it's something I have to deal with," he said. "I feel like I'm doing a good job of it--playing lower to the ground--but I'm not where I want to be yet. I just need to focus on my technique and go from there."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=26358

pucillo showed in his limited time that he could get it done. id be ok with him taking a shot, and wade was very good at T last year in his time. granted guard is different, but i think he'll be very good. i cant imagine a guy with his size and strenth getting pushed around a lot. i worry more about his pass blocking skills than his run blocking.

I am slightly amused that panicked fans are fretting over a line that returns 4 veteran starters and replaces a non-pro bowl player with a solid vet at LG.......MEANWHILE, the team makes no changes on a defensive line that got under 20 sacks collectively and no one seems concerned about that at all :laugh:

Dockery was a solid player last year. He was average the year before. He has never made a pro bowl or all-pro team.

Is that the kind of guy you give a $50 million contract to? :)

The Redskins have done some crazy things in free agency over the last 7 years under Snyder, but the Bills and Cowboys topped most of 'em by signing guards like Dockery and Davis to huge deals in excess of what the elite players like Hutchinson are getting.

I don't think that we would have signed Wade if we didn't think that he could make the transition to LG. And even if he is unable to, he has more than proven that he can back up Jansen at the RT position. That would leave us with Tucker, Whitticker, Whitley and Pucillo. All of these guys have had starting experience at guard. Lefotu is also in the running again for a guard spot.

So, IMO the 0-line is the last thing that any of us should be concerned with.

Says Joe Bugel, "I don't like this kid; I love him ... a 350-pound guard who can play both right and left. We worked him out midseason last year and liked him. As soon as the season ended, we couldn't wait to sign him. He's a real solid football player and a real good kid. When we had a chance to get him there was no hesitation on my part at all. He belongs here."

http://www.thehogs.net/content/index.php?id=936

I trust Buges. That is great to hear. Even if Wade struggles he is a quality reserve to give us some depth.

If Wade can't do it I'd be all for replacing him with Pucillo or Fabini

Im glad we are starting to get some quality depth on the O-line.

Fabini? Wade, being a natural OT is a bit of an experiment at the LG position. So why would we replace him with another OT?

From some of the earlier articles, I get the impression that the Redskins are able to hedge their bets to some degree with Wade because they like what they see in Whittacker at OG and he has starting experience from his time in Green Bay in 2005.

How is Wade a journeyman when he played in Miami and then 1 or 2 years on Houston and started for both teams?

EXACTLY -- WADE IS NOT A JOURNEYMAN.

Here's a little background -- (I've cut and pasted from the following website putting things in more of a chronological order. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2520094

5082.jpg

Wade was a four-year letterman and three-year starter standout at the University of Mississippe. He started 32 of the 44 games in which he played during his career, including starts in each of his final 32 collegiate games. Wade also opened all 11 contests at right tackle his senior season and was a first-team All-SEC choice and a second-team All-America selection.

Wade was chosen by the Dolphins in the second round of the 2000 draft. In four seasons with Miami, he appeared in 63 games, all starts, before signing with the Texans in 2004.

Houston acquired Wade as an unrestricted free agent in the spring of 2004, rewarding the former Miami Dolphins tarter with a six-year, $30 million contract that included a $10 million signing bonus (at the time, one of the highest ever given a right tackle.) Some talent evaluators in the league, while conceding Wade probably represented an upgrade for Houston, questioned the size of the contract the Texans gave him.

Wade appeared in 14 games in 2004, his first season in Houston, starting 13 times at right tackle. He started the first nine contests in 2005 but then suffered a torn knee ligament and was placed on injured reserve for the balance of the season. But even when healthy, Wade's sub-par performances were symbolic of the longstanding problems of a porous Texans offensive line. [NOTE: There were some other decent free-agent linemen the Texans had signed, so it's not clear that the issue was talent or coaching.]

Rather than continue to fund Wade's big contract and with him still rehabilitating from knee surgery, team officials decided to cut their losses. Wade still had four seasons remaining on the lucrative free-agent deal he signed in 2004, at salaries of $3.5 million (2006), $4.5 million (2007), $5 million (2008) and $5 million (2009). Wade was unceremoniously released by the Houston Texans July 2006 because the new coaching staff there did not feel he was a good fit for the system they were installing, and also had a talented rookie (Erik Winston) in the wings. Also, by releasing him the Texans saved $18 million in base salaries.

In September 2006 the Redskins signed Wade to add depth to the line. Wade made the most of his opportunity in a December 2006 contest filling in for Jansen against New Orleans. http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=23553.

Wade's performance in 2006, as well his toughness and tenacity, convinced the Washington coaches that Wade could make the transition to guard. Moreover, they felt that he might be a better candidate for the position than any of the veterans remaining in the free agent pool. In March 2007 the Redskins signed Wade and groomed him for Dockery's position.

the Bills were dopes for giving Dockery $50M. I keep going back to the contracts signed by Dockery and Leonard Davis and can't imagine any quality organization matching these offers and tying its hands on the OL for the next 2-3 years in terms of cap room.

the Redskins best move in the offseason was NOT to match this offer and keep a solid but not elite player.

Archived