Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can You Feel It?

LoyalSkinsFan

Solid post thanks. I feel it beating now too. Just the way it should this time of year, quiet and steady.

I like that we have low (no) expectations. I like that we upgraded in critical areas (LB, CB, SS etc.). I like that JC is primed for a breakout year. I like that Portis and Betts could both rack up big numbers and put games away in the fourth rather than having every one decided by one or two points (my heart can't take it). I like that Gibbs is on an absolute mission to prove the game hasn't passed him by (it hasn't).

I like that we are in Year Two of the Saunders offense (always a good thing) and the players all seem to be saying they GET IT now and the plays come naturally.

Most of all I like idea that this team is ready to treat this WHOLE season like the last five games of 2005, like they are going to lay everything on the line and put the HURT on whoever gets in their way, especially the defense, which has so much to prove.

The hear beats slow and steady now, as summer rolls on toward fall. Then the pulse quickens as the B&G take the field in the preseason and starts to race as we rock Fed Ex and the Fins come September. And it keeps on racing deep into the heart of winter.

Hail.

my favorite two posters, one is a homer, the other a cynic.

loyalskinsfan

brandonlloydchristmas.

thanks guys.

You may not now this, but a cynic is normally an extremely passionate person who is simply unwilling to be disappointed again.

Note- there are some professional cynics, who just like to be that way after a long run at it, but they are truly few and far between.

Don't be naieve ... the Skins are full of holes. They couldn't score more than 20 points a game last year and there is no evidence they will do any better this year ... they have not improved on offense ... if fact, they grown weaker. Dockery is gone and they do not have a receiver who can catch 4-6 balls a game other than Moss and Cooley, both of whom will be easily defensed this year. The running back split between Portis and Betts will not be efficient and the Skins lack a big back who can get the short yardage on 4th and one and at the goal line. The kicking game remains suspect with Suisham not yet proven and Frost still suffering from inconsistency. On defense ... forget it ... the DL is ineffective applying pressure and cannot stop the run. Even with Fletcher ... the LBacker corps is an unknwon because McIntosh still has yet to prove he is not a huge bust. The backfiled is relying on a rookie to start at SS, the hope that (i) STaylor will show coverage skills for the first time in his career, (ii) SSprings will have an injury-free season, and (iii) CRogers will somehow find a pair of hands. And the coaching ... good grief ... there are so many channels of communication, it is a miracle every time the offense gets a play off on time or the defense fields less than 12 men before the snap. Homerism is nice, but I rather not stick my head in the sand ... its too hard to breath.

this argument has holes...since when is starting the number 6 overall pick and arguably best defensive player in the draft a bad thing...and McIntosh a huge bust? also, even if he doesnt play up to expectation how does that make our whole LB corp. bad, you know, the same corp. with perennial pro bowlers Fletcher and Washington.

Everyone can just be glad you are beyond wrong.

This is such a great thread, that it hurt inside, but a good hurt.(tear) What I've been feeling you just put into words in this thread. I have the same feeling about this team.

Since I live in Texas and surrounded by all these cowpuke fans, I've had a hell of a time telling them about how we've acquired all these players, whether free agency or draft, that you can see the concern in their eyes. They try to deny it, but there's a difference in their look.

I also cannot wait till the tip-off for '07 season 'cause I know that this years team will be totally different and will not be the cellar dwellars like last year.

I've been a REDSKINS fan since George Allen and the Over-the-Hill gang of the 70's. I have been with them through thick and thin and yes all those years that the cowpukes beat us over and over killed me. Having to hear those cowgirl fans rubbing it in. Well it's my turn now and with what I see...Dammit! it's my time to shine. My time to rub it in and return all that was handed to me in years past.

These past two years have been great. I've boosted like I've never boosted before and we really didn't have nearly what I think we have now. Just Imagine, the damage that can be done...SCARY.

For all you haters out there who are constantly finding ways of bashing positive and optimistic true Redskin fans, Shame on you! Find another team if you can't find any room for optimism and any possible change to this organization.

Again, I've been a fan for over thirty years and I see something in this team.

I applaud this thread and I'm right there with ya, you TRUE REDSKIN FAN.

Either you're with this team or against it. No in betweens!:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :applause: :applause: :cheers: :cheers: :point2sky :point2sky :dallasuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck

^

^

Could not have said it better myself. This team does feel different. Its been too long, and our team has a winning tradition and i dont think that will be kept down much longer. Call me a homer, but i think something good is about to start. We have waited long enough.

Like the way you think, LSF.

Thing about being optimistic is that some years it's more logical to be so than others.

Being optimistic about the immediate success of the team Gibbs inherited in his first year was not realistic. No one reading this should need to be reminded of why.

In 2005, it was realistic, and was amply rewarded. I hope no one here has forgotten what it felt like in those final weeks, when when we kicked Dallas’ proverbial ass up and down field all day long at The Jake, followed that up by solidly beating the Giants, then went up to Philly--our nemesis for years--in a must-win "paloffs or bust" affair, and took care of business, to finish on a classic Gibbsian playoff run.

Heading into 2006 off that run, only the dourest of cynics found reasons to be pessimistic. Based on any kind of objectivity, this was a team on the come. So when the wheels fell off instead--for all the myriad reasons we've beaten to death since last year--it was a kick in the head, yes. But it was not necessarily the death knell to Gibbs II the cynics would have us believe.

Heading into 2007, there are plenty of questions surrounding this team (as there are for all but maybe 2 or 3 other teams in the league). Most of us know them by rote. But there are also plenty of reasons for optimism. Most of us willing to concede that the sun does in fact still occasionally rise in Washington know them by rote as well. This is a team that could realitistically do anything from repeat last year's disaster, if the wrong injuries should occur again and/or whatever went wrong in the locker room last year hasn't been exorcised ... or, could compete for a championship, if things fall together the way any championship needs them to.

The thinking fan knows this team has to prove that last year was the fluke, not 2005. But he also knows that this team, particularly with Gibbs apparently re-engaged, and the promise of Jason Campbell after nearly a generation finally solving the revolving door this team has suffered at QB, has the potential to do special things. I'm not sure, really, what more any thinking person can ask of his/her favorite sports team.

If one has the capacity for optimism, the 2007 Redskins are not a bad bet upon which to hang some.

Edited to undangle a low-hanging participle. It's a family site.

Homerism is nice, but I rather not stick my head in the sand ... its too hard to breath.

Half of your arguments are hogwash. Betts and Portis combo will be inefficient? That ruined any kind of rational argument you had right there. :laugh: Then you followed it up with Sean Taylor has never shown coverage skills? You are either a closet Cowboy fan, or you have only watched one Redskin game in your entire life. Which is it?

It's even harder to breathe where you DO have your head stuck... :cool:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I also cannot wait till the tip-off for '07 season 'cause I know that this years team will be totally different and will not be the cellar dwellars like last year.

Again, I've been a fan for over thirty years and I see something in this team.

I applaud this thread and I'm right there with ya, you TRUE REDSKIN FAN.

^

^

This team does feel different. Its been too long, and our team has a winning tradition and i dont think that will be kept down much longer. Call me a homer, but i think something good is about to start. We have waited long enough.

Thing about being optimistic is that some years it's more logical to be so than others.

Being optimistic about the immediate success of the team Gibbs inherited in his first year was not realistic. No one reading this should need to be reminded of why.

In 2005, it was realistic, and was amply rewarded. I hope no one here has forgotten what it felt like in those final weeks, when when we kicked Dallas’ proverbial ass up and down field all day long at The Jake, followed that up by solidly beating the Giants, then went up to Philly--our nemesis for years--in a must-win "paloffs or bust" affair, and took care of business, to finish on a classic Gibbsian playoff run.

Heading into 2006 off that run, only the dourest of cynics found reasons to be pessimistic. Based on any kind of objectivity, this was a team on the come. So when the wheels fell off instead--for all the myriad reasons we've beaten to death since last year--it was a kick in the head, yes. But it was not necessarily the death knell to Gibbs II the cynics would have us believe.

Heading into 2007, there are plenty of questions surrounding this team (as there are for all but maybe 2 or 3 other teams in the league). Most of us know them by rote. But there are also plenty of reasons for optimism. Most of us willing to concede that the sun does in fact still occasionally rise in Washington know them by rote as well. This is a team that could realitistically do anything from repeat last year's disaster, if the wrong injuries should occur again and/or whatever went wrong in the locker room last year hasn't been exorcised ... or, could compete for a championship, if things fall together the way any championship needs them to.

The thinking fan knows this team has to prove that last year was the fluke, not 2005. But he also knows that this team, particularly with Gibbs apparently re-engaged, and the promise of Jason Campbell after nearly a generation finally solving the revolving door this team has suffered at QB, has the potential to do special things. I'm not sure, really, what more any thinking person can ask of his/her favorite sports team.

If one has the capacity for optimism, the 2007 Redskins are not a bad bet upon which to hang some.

Edited to undangle a low-hanging participle. It's a family site.

Thanks for the support guys....

It's hard NOT to be optimistic about the team this year....and, I got tired of keeping it to myself. Thing is (and this really SCARES me) is that last year I was equally optimistic and we all saw how THAT turned out.

But....

This year DOES feel different from last. There are just so many signs that seem to signal this as being the kind of year that we've all been waiting for. The development of Jason Campbell....the further understanding of the Al Saunders offense.....the addition of key defensive pieces that will hopefully allow those existing pieces to be more effective.......and......and you can call this a corny comparison if you must...but, based on pure gut reaction and illogical BS....I think this year's version of the Redskins has the "IT" factor. Back when we'd find ourselves playing in big games - like the Super Bowl - I would always look at the eyes of the players as they stood in line for their pre-game intros. I always felt I could somehow predict the outcome of the game based on the looks on the guys' faces. When we won, they usually had seemed to be very focused and intent pre-game....when we lost, they typically had been playing to the crowd and dicking around. Yes, those were the days of the Hogs and the Gibbs glory years, but the results speak for themselves.

Last year....on paper.....we had the potential to go the distance. But, due to reasons unforeseen - such as a host of injuries, the defensive collapse and a staggering low turnover ration - we blew up. But, to my point, the team felt somehow disconnected during the offseason and preseason. They were talking Super Bowl in August and we all saw the performance (or lack thereof) during the preseason games. I never put much stock in a Joe Gibbs coached team in preseason games but last year's didn't seem so much a stripped down preseason team, but rather a team just going thru the motions of appearing in the games. And again, as we saw, that lack of preparation did not bode well.

This year, there's no talk of playing in January....and the team seems to be focused and determined. Collectively, there seems to be an air of purpose and the players all seem to have simply set out to take care of what needs taking care of. As I said in the original post in this thread, I think they were, as professionals, embarrassed last year. Gibbs and his staff, too. And although these are highly paid superstars...very different from you and me....as in any work environment, embarrassment and fear is a great motivator. This year, I think (I hope) they're motivated. This year, I hope, they have that "IT" factor.

And so, I find myself once again hopeful for an exciting and winning season. Yeah, it seems like I start out here every year....but, maybe this year, we'll get the winning part right again.

Sure feels like it.

Famous last words...

HTTR

Don't be naieve ... the Skins are full of holes. They couldn't score more than 20 points a game last year and there is no evidence they will do any better this year ... they have not improved on offense ... if fact, they grown weaker. Dockery is gone and they do not have a receiver who can catch 4-6 balls a game other than Moss and Cooley, both of whom will be easily defensed this year. The running back split between Portis and Betts will not be efficient and the Skins lack a big back who can get the short yardage on 4th and one and at the goal line. The kicking game remains suspect with Suisham not yet proven and Frost still suffering from inconsistency. On defense ... forget it ... the DL is ineffective applying pressure and cannot stop the run. Even with Fletcher ... the LBacker corps is an unknwon because McIntosh still has yet to prove he is not a huge bust. The backfiled is relying on a rookie to start at SS, the hope that (i) STaylor will show coverage skills for the first time in his career, (ii) SSprings will have an injury-free season, and (iii) CRogers will somehow find a pair of hands. And the coaching ... good grief ... there are so many channels of communication, it is a miracle every time the offense gets a play off on time or the defense fields less than 12 men before the snap. Homerism is nice, but I rather not stick my head in the sand ... its too hard to breath.

If its too hard to breath try to breathe. :silly: (Crap! someone beat me to it.:notworthy

"From day one I've been a blindly faithful supporter of Joe Gibbs. Three seasons into his return and nothing there has changed. I can't say that I didn't - in my heart of hearts - hope that he'd turn things around immediately.....but when he didn't, I didn't lose that faith. "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" has proven to be a good tack to follow in my life.....seemed to fit here. Joe Gibbs is one of the greatest football minds in the history of the game. Those too young to have been around during Gibbs' first run with the team may not buy into that as I have....and there's certainly no proof over the last three years to make that statement stick...but trust me when I say that if anybody can fix this it's him. And, by the way, I see the signs that he's doing just that."

The above fits my thought perfectly. In 2005 I thought that Joe Gibbs was right on target to make another SB run; and except for injury on the OL and QB we might have gone all the way in 2005.

Last season was a total shock to me. My rational about last season falloff is that Joe stepped back from interacting directly with players and coaches because he felt that he should give Greg and Al autonomy. The result was that his leadership was lost.

I expect that Joe was so embarassed over last seasons performance that he has critically re-examined his role; and will resume a more direct involvement with the players and coaches so as to get the team performing with 100% dedication and effort.

I think we have the players and coaches that have the ability to win. What will determine the Redskins success in 2007 will be the ability of Head Coach Joe Gibbs to inspire and motivate his team just like he has done in the past.

this argument has holes...since when is starting the number 6 overall pick and arguably best defensive player in the draft a bad thing...

Remember a guy named Brian Bosworth? He was arguably the best player in the draft too.

Gotta see it at the NFL level in games that count for all draft picks.

TheFan

Landry was not the best player in the draft, he was the best player at that #6 spot in the draft. Expecting the #6 to start is not an unreasonable expectation.

The point is that, all things considered, he should be a monster and should make an impact, this year. Optimism may be blind but when based on sound observations and compared to overwhelming past expereince (most #6's start in year 1 and make an impact), optimism can turn into realization!

I'll agree that this team could do great things but I am a big believer in a two year plan for super bowl appearances/wins. My expectation for the Skins this year;

1. Take two against the cowgirls. And embarass all the Romo sits to pee lovers.

2. Make it to the playoffs and look strong.

3. Head into 2008 with the experience and drive to take it all the way to the rings!!

4. Not say A WORD in the 2008 off season about taking it all the way to the rings!!!!!

I'm with ya too. However, it not completely unexpected. One of my Viking friends said he wouldn't be suprised to see us take the East and go deep in the playoffs.

I told him he was a smart dude.

You're just smarter because of the colors you uphold.

I feel it, too. Every time I hear about Campbell's progress, about Moss and Jason working together constantly, about Portis/Betts, Lloyd getting huge, Landry/Taylor, I get anxious for the season

The troubling thing, though, is I've felt this every year since Danny took over. Some move in the offseason that shored up some glaring hole, new stars, new coaches, etc etc etc. Every year the FO gives me some reason to think this year will be different, and it never is.

I still got faith, and I'm willing to get my hopes up again (as always). I just hope we're not disappointed again...

You may not now this, but a cynic is normally an extremely passionate person who is simply unwilling to be disappointed again.

Note- there are some professional cynics, who just like to be that way after a long run at it, but they are truly few and far between.

yeah, i know what a cynic is, my favorite writers are cynic's, the few friends i have are cynics, i REAL life i am a cynic, thats why i like blloydchristmas, he reminds me of my friends, i used to not like his posts, i thought they were too negitive, but as i read more and more of his posts i've come to really appreicate his view on things, in fact.....i have a sneaking suspicion that i know him...:cheers:

great post man. this time every year i feel the same way but this year feels different. your right about not getting respect around the league and we are definitely an underdog. I have friends that like the bills and all they talk about is how we have a weak division (and conference) and that we still cant pull it off...

not very smart people

No way. Except for lack of depth at DL and some question about our new Guard, we have the strongest team that we have had all century. And I am a cynic.

:point2sky Very true. We went 10-6 in 2005 based on what some would call "luck"; this year we'll do it based on skill and talent.

My dad, he's a Rams fan (he lived in California for a long time and grew up with the LA Rams), and after seeing their transformation from the atrocious 1998 team (4-12) to the 1999 Cinderella team (13-3) that shocked the league, nothing surprises me anymore. We could do the same thing. The pieces are in place.

HTTR! :cheers:

Archived