It's there.

Just listen........carefully.

(pum pum)

Hear that?!

(pum pum)

There it goes again!!

(pum pum)

What is that, you say?

Well, that'd be the heartbeat of the Redskin nation, my friends. It's beating.....faintly, yes.....but beating.

The rest of the NFL and probably most of the viewing public may not realize it, but this team is far from dead. None of us here may want to admit it out in the open, but we've got a good thing going. We're off most people's radar.....pretty much written off as just one more five and eleven team, but that's just fine as far as I'm concerned.

I'm gonna say it.......out loud.

Somehow I'm thinking that the Redskins, this year, are actually on a mission. I kind of feel like they were embarrassed last year....and that as a result they are looking forward with both purpose and with collective determination.

It's sheer madness, I know, but I'm going to say it more clearly.....I REALLY think this team is going to surprise a lot of unsuspecting people this year. Injuries aside, there are a lot of good pieces in a lot of good places both on the field and off - and that usually translates to good performance.

From day one I've been a blindly faithful supporter of Joe Gibbs. Three seasons into his return and nothing there has changed. I can't say that I didn't - in my heart of hearts - hope that he'd turn things around immediately.....but when he didn't, I didn't lose that faith. "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" has proven to be a good tack to follow in my life.....seemed to fit here. Joe Gibbs is one of the greatest football minds in the history of the game. Those too young to have been around during Gibbs' first run with the team may not buy into that as I have....and there's certainly no proof over the last three years to make that statement stick...but trust me when I say that if anybody can fix this it's him. And, by the way, I see the signs that he's doing just that.

Arguably one of the most intellegent and experienced (and most importantly - experienced in how to WIN) coaching staffs in the league is in place here....and is, seemingly, going to stay for a while. That consistency will, over time, pay off.

On both sides of the ball it's hard to not to acknowledge that there are a number of players who have simply not performed to expectations. Many of those are now gone. Some, it could be said (and I will say it), did not perform up to expectations due in large part to injuries...both large and small. Hopefully, now, most of those injuries have healed and those players in question (ie, Shawn Springs) can now perform on the field free of pain and limitation.

On both sides of the ball there are new players who, whether veteran or youthful, are now in a position to help the club get to the next level. LaRon Landry and London Fletcher instantly come to mind....and I simply keep forgetting that Fred Smoot is back. Every time I remember, it's like getting that one, last Christmas gift that was hidden back by the trunk of the tree.

If health prevails, we've again got some depth and experience on both offensive and defensive lines....and I'm just dying to see how Rocky MacIntosh and - MOST IMPORTANTLY - Jason Campbell perform with another year of experience under their belts. The positive reports on these two out of the mini-camps have done nothing but make me scratch at the TV screen in anticipation of the games coming on.

If ever there was a "homer" thread...well...this is it. But c'mon, for me nothing's changed in that regard for thirty five years....and I'm guessing it never will.

But that's what makes this fun.

So....now that I've let all this out into the open I suppose it's time to clam it all back up again....for fear of jinxing the season. But I just couldn't help myself....I HAD to say what's on all our minds......could THIS be the year?

Sure could be.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

(pum pum)

HTTR

Don't be naieve ... the Skins are full of holes. They couldn't score more than 20 points a game last year and there is no evidence they will do any better this year ... they have not improved on offense ... if fact, they grown weaker. Dockery is gone and they do not have a receiver who can catch 4-6 balls a game other than Moss and Cooley, both of whom will be easily defensed this year. The running back split between Portis and Betts will not be efficient and the Skins lack a big back who can get the short yardage on 4th and one and at the goal line. The kicking game remains suspect with Suisham not yet proven and Frost still suffering from inconsistency. On defense ... forget it ... the DL is ineffective applying pressure and cannot stop the run. Even with Fletcher ... the LBacker corps is an unknwon because McIntosh still has yet to prove he is not a huge bust. The backfiled is relying on a rookie to start at SS, the hope that (i) STaylor will show coverage skills for the first time in his career, (ii) SSprings will have an injury-free season, and (iii) CRogers will somehow find a pair of hands. And the coaching ... good grief ... there are so many channels of communication, it is a miracle every time the offense gets a play off on time or the defense fields less than 12 men before the snap. Homerism is nice, but I rather not stick my head in the sand ... its too hard to breath.

Don't be naieve ... the Skins are full of holes. They couldn't score more than 20 points a game last year and there is no evidence they will do any better this year ... they have not improved on offense ... if fact, they grown weaker. Dockery is gone and they do not have a receiver who can catch 4-6 balls a game other than Moss and Cooley, both of whom will be easily defensed this year. The running back split between Portis and Betts will not be efficient and the Skins lack a big back who can get the short yardage on 4th and one and at the goal line. The kicking game remains suspect with Suisham not yet proven and Frost still suffering from inconsistency. On defense ... forget it ... the DL is ineffective applying pressure and cannot stop the run. Even with Fletcher ... the LBacker corps is an unknwon because McIntosh still has yet to prove he is not a huge bust. The backfiled is relying on a rookie to start at SS, the hope that (i) STaylor will show coverage skills for the first time in his career, (ii) SSprings will have an injury-free season, and (iii) CRogers will somehow find a pair of hands. And the coaching ... good grief ... there are so many channels of communication, it is a miracle every time the offense gets a play off on time or the defense fields less than 12 men before the snap. Homerism is nice, but I rather not stick my head in the sand ... its too hard to breath.

OMG.

Seriously, Dude....why do you even watch?

The way you describe it there's simply no way that this team should hold ANY amount of interest to even the most fair-weathered fan.

And, frankly, since you feel so strongly against optimism-defying-all-logic then please explain to me how you could be the self-proclaimed "President, Casey Bramlet Fan Club"?

I'm a homer, sure, but I'm not stupid nor out of touch with reality. There are certainly holes in the Redskins this year and questions that need to be answered as far as certain players and positions are concerned. Oh, and the unforeseen variables, such as injuries, are capable of blowing up the hopes of all fans - homer or otherwise. But, in my 30-something years of watching the NFL, I've come to see that these things work both ways. Teams that manage to avoid the back-breaking injuries and be the recipient of fortuitous (that means "lucky") bounces tend to go far. Teams that succeed and teams that don't are not always that far apart in personnel or management.

I guess I'm of the mind that last year was more an anomaly than a trend...on many levels....and that I'm very hopeful looking ahead at this season while many around the NFL and country are not. I, personally, don't think we're really that far off. Last year was last year and this, quite simply, is not last years' team.

Call it homerism or call it sticking my head in the sand if you wish.....

....I'll call it optimism...with just a HUGE dash of anticipation mixed in.

HTTR

Welp, since you've got it all figured out, it was nice seeing you out here. I guess you are done with football. Unless you pick another team, of course.

watching the replay of the 1991 team the other night on NFL Network got me stoked for the upcoming campaign. Nice post my friend...

Yeah, y'know....I was keeping it all reasonably in check until I saw some video clip or another....and then I got all crazy impatient and pumped up about this year. Sure, it could all crash and burn again like last year, but damn if it couldn't SO EASILY go the other direction. Seriously, we're really so close...just some strong quarterback and defensive play and we could be dancing in the promised land.

Here's hoping...here's believing.

HTTR

my favorite two posters, one is a homer, the other a cynic.

loyalskinsfan

brandonlloydchristmas.

thanks guys.

Ill agree with you to a point...my favorite poster might be Lloyd's Mongolian Beef, mostly due to his signiture :-)

Seriously though, I truly enjoy reading well written posts like this wether they are homeristic or scathing.

Archived