Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Tank Johnson's sobriety change your opinion?

Rodriggo

you just keep choosing to ignore that and make Tank out to be the poor victim.

You said victim. All I'm saying is that this last arrest was essentially for nothing, and not in my opinion part of a larger more serious history with this guy that every media source has made it out to be. I see it as the Bears jumping the gun and releasing a talented, troubled guy who we could take a flyer on.

He's not some pothead college kid, he's a grown man with kids and responsibilities. He should know better. Let's not act like he drank a wine cooler at home before running out for smokes at 3 am. He was probably out partying with friends and is damn lucky he had sobered up enough to pass the breathalizer.

uh...since when is that illegal?

I could see your point if his probation strictly prohibits the use of alcohol, but guess what...IT DOESN'T!

unfortunately for the ultra conservatives & finger pointers out there, the fact is this is not a crime & is nothing to be even minutely concerned over. let's say he was out partying with friends (dunno about you but i do that every saturday night) & tipped a few back. ok...so then, myabe he decided to be semi-responsible & wait to sober up a bit (hmmm, sounds familiar...i think i do this too sometimes <<especially when a designated driver may not be available>>) before getting behind the wheel. funny thing about this....it's next to impossible to tell if you're "completely sober" after having a few drinks, it's even more impossible to tell if your BAC is below the legal limit.

so factoring in the difficulty involved in trying to discern your own BAC before driving...i'd say he did a good job of gauging his BAC & knowing that he should be clean enough to operate a motor vehicle enough to get home. the fact is that the 5-0 could have been pulling him over for any number of reasons. let's just stick with their version of the story (non-contested by Tank Johnson i might add) that he was driving over the posted speed limit of 25mph.

this is enough for the officer to pull you over...I can almost gaurantee you (especially considering the fact that he had been drinking) that once the officer smelled alcohol on his breath, saw the vehicle, the size of the man & all the other nuances of the situation...that he decided it was better he have the man taken in on suspicion of DUI. in order to then make the report/case look a little more solid he added the swerving, driving erratically etc. comments. the fact is, they still would have (& it would have been their right according to the law) charged him w/DWI if he had been driving erratically enough to warrant it. since he wasn't, they decided not to formally press any charges.

given the situation & the way it was handled on both sides (especially how beaming the 5-0 was about his cooperation) & considering humanity & my own relation to this type of issue i can assure you that this was just a precautionary measure taken by the police in order to be absolutely certain before they press any charges. as i said before, if they truly believed he was driving impaired or endangering the lives of others they would have pressed charges regardless of the BAC as shown by the blood tests.

if it were a condition of his probation that he not DRINK ANY ALCOHOL then...you could say that he was being wreckless or, not being responsible for his situation. but the fact is, it's MOOT. it wasn't a condition of his probation & he was not in the wrong at the time of the arrest...END OF STORY. there is no reason to believe that this is a bigger issue than it already isn't.

my vote is...if he doesn't ask for too gawdy of a contract...sign him, get him in shape for week 9 (or week 7 if he gets in on "good behavior") & bolster our supposed swiss chees D-line with some much needed help.

otherwise...i guess our D-line isn't that bad:whoknows:

i mean...if you would pass up on this kind of opportunity for a cautionary arrest (at best), then it must not be that bad of an issue right?

None of this answers why he was arrested? Ticketed, fined, sure! but put in handcuffs? Why? He wasn't drunk. His race might not have had anything to do with it but it's definitely a factor that you cannot deny now that his sobriety has come to light. Unless you want to believe in black and white, good guys and bad guys, and that the world is always as simple and easy as you want it to be.

Have you ever got a DUI or DWI? You do not have to breath over the limit to get arrested. They did not charge him with anything at the police station, because guess what thats when the official blow is counted.

What he blows on the side road is not official and can not be counted as official. He blew about a .075 or something. He could have dropped .005 by the time he blew at the police station.

So do not comment on something you do not know what your talking about. I have been pulled over and charged after blowing a .09 (coming home from the Skins vs Eagles game in 2005). The cops were cool, and eventually the charges were dropped, but I am neither black or white and was pulled over.

Your racial card is the worst thing ever. Its one thing if they pulled him over saying he looked drunk and blew a .01 or some crap. But a .075 is not that far from .08.

You said victim. All I'm saying is that this last arrest was essentially for nothing, and not in my opinion part of a larger more serious history with this guy that every media source has made it out to be. I see it as the Bears jumping the gun and releasing a talented, troubled guy who we could take a flyer on.

I see it as a guy who hasn't learned and will never learn.

Um, I'm still wondering who used the race card first.

IMO, the person that brought up the race card was just sitting around waiting for someone to make it a race issue and picked the closest thing to it that he could find and pounced on it.

BTW, there is a thread about Tank that was bumped right below this one where everyone has been talking about this.

Whats there to wonder about Flex. Did you not read the original post? It was mentioned very early in the paragraph that Tank was arrested for "DWB" driving while black.

Did you miss that?

If your still not seeing it.....that would be considered the race card.

You can try and flip this all you want, and try and make me the bad guy. The fact is whenever a man of color is stopped for any minor or major violation, such as speeding, it's Driving While Black. We won't getu into the other more serios crimes where the Race Card has been used. (See O.J.).

LIttle story for ya. I got pulled over last month for speeding. I said to the cop, "this is BS, I'm white, I'm allowed to speed." The black officer didn't agree and beat me with a nighstick. LOL...not really... So, in regards to DWB....its only justifialbe if your not speeding (which Tank was), or drunk...or whatever the case may be.

I also guarantee, anyone speeding at 3am will be questioned for drinking and most likely be put through a test.

So no, I wasn't waiting to pounce on this poor guys lacking defense of Tank. He just made it obvious that this is another case where "the man" is responsible for Tank's hardships in life.

So....put that in your pipe and smoke it.

What does "play with fire" mean? Being out at 3am? Isn't that unfair? What if he had the munchies and was making a Snickers and Mountain Dew run?

And you mean to tell me that would be okay if he was white?

Some of you guys must be TUI or TWI.

He is under probation. He drove after drinking. You don't get pulled over because you're driving perfectly. Oh wait, he was speeding. That's probably what he was pulled over for. I don't know about you, but it's pretty hard for me to tell the skin color of someone when they're either driving by while you're stopped (speed trap) or behind someone, and I've got 15/20 vision. There goes your race card.

Then, after he was pulled over for speeding, he either had alcohol on his breath or was acting drunk. I mean, he was only EIGHT ONE-THOUSANDTHS away from the limit; it's not like he was perfectly sober.

Oh, and the idiot is on probation for illegal possession of six firearms while this all went down. When you're a normal citizen, you don't drink or drive. When you're on probation, then, unless you're an absolute idiot/Tank Johnson, you DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.

Bend over, take the race card, and insert it.

He's a criminal, he's an idiot, and he shouldn't be on a team for a long time. If you were caught with firearms or drinking and driving, then would your boss fire you for embarrassing the company? I'm guessing so.

Whats there to wonder about Flex. Did you not read the original post? It was mentioned very early in the paragraph that Tank was arrested for "DWB" driving while black.

Did you miss that?

If your still not seeing it.....that would be considered the race card.

You can try and flip this all you want, and try and make me the bad guy. The fact is whenever a man of color is stopped for any minor or major violation, such as speeding, it's Driving While Black. We won't getu into the other more serios crimes where the Race Card has been used. (See O.J.).

LIttle story for ya. I got pulled over last month for speeding. I said to the cop, "this is BS, I'm white, I'm allowed to speed." The black officer didn't agree and beat me with a nighstick. LOL...not really... So, in regards to DWB....its only justifialbe if your not speeding (which Tank was), or drunk...or whatever the case may be.

I also guarantee, anyone speeding at 3am will be questioned for drinking and most likely be put through a test.

So no, I wasn't waiting to pounce on this poor guys lacking defense of Tank. He just made it obvious that this is another case where "the man" is responsible for Tank's hardships in life.

So....put that in your pipe and smoke it.

:laugh: Another internet tough guy. "So....put that in your pipe and smoke it." Boowahahaha :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

FYI pipehead, I did miss the DWB comment. So all your BS after that was unecessary and kind of juvenile for real.

Also, FYI I am a black man.

Are veiled threats done here too? All I'm doing is asking why he was arrested if he wasn't drunk? I suggest a prevalent and unfortunate practice that takes place in this country know as DWB as a possible explanation. It's something you can't have proof of because no one will admit to it but it does exist and could, emphasize could, be at work here.

No veiled threat from me. I was just pointing out that I thought you were grasping at straws with your theory. I know profileing exists, but until each case is proven otherwise, it was just not the time to bring that up.

Why on earth does a guy making millions of dollars drive himself home after drinking?

Forget about the .008 BAL that kept him from being legally drunk. His drinking, then deciding he was "good enough" to drive home while going 15 over the limit was just stupid behavior. Buy yourself a breathalyser or something, Tank!

I just want to make sure you are aware that the police have instant access to your criminal record. His arrest had to do with that history, it had to do with the fact he was doing nearly double the speed limit in a residential area, it had to do with the fact that he admitted to drinking, and it happened to be a black man that it had to do with.

There is absolutely no reason to think this guy has his head on straight. Considering we are in a position where we need to maximize our potential to be a good/great team, do you really think it is wise to bring in a guy who can't behave himself to replace hard-working potentially dangerous (on the field not in a car or at the club) players. What messge does that send to the team?

I just want to make sure you are aware that the police have instant access to your criminal record. His arrest had to do with that history, it had to do with the fact he was doing nearly double the speed limit in a residential area, it had to do with the fact that he admitted to drinking, and it happened to be a black man that it had to do with.

Could you please explain to me what the last part of your last sentence (the part that is highlighted) had to do with any of those other factors that led to Tanks arrest?

The fact that Tank was out drinking and driving while still on probation alone proves that he is probably not one of the more brighter bulbs in the pack. Also, he seems kind of prone to effing up chances that he gets.

All of these things are pretty evident. But your comment about "and it happened to be a black man that it had to do with" puzzled me. How did you mean that?

Could you please explain to me what the last part of your last sentence (the part that is highlighted) had to do with any of those other factors that led to Tanks arrest?

The fact that Tank was out drinking and driving while still on probation alone proves that he is probably not one of the more brighter bulbs in the pack. Also, he seems kind of prone to effing up chances that he gets.

All of these things are pretty evident. But your comment about "and it happened to be a black man that it had to do with" puzzled me. How did you mean that?

My point being that just because he is black doesn't mean the other stuff he was doing wasn't stupid. There seems to be an undercurrent from some of these posts, and in society as well for that matter, that a crime is diminished due to external circumstances.

Everything listed before the highlighted part explains thoroughly why he was pulled over. He was breaking the law. For someone to come out and say it was merely a DWB is ignorant.

It is true that racism exists, profiling occurs, but when people pull the race card every chance they get to some how negate stupid behavior they in fact diminish the real problems that need to be dealt with.

My point being that just because he is black doesn't mean the other stuff he was doing wasn't stupid. There seems to be an undercurrent from some of these posts, and in society as well for that matter, that a crime is diminished due to external circumstances.

Everything listed before the highlighted part explains thoroughly why he was pulled over. He was breaking the law. For someone to come out and say it was merely a DWB is ignorant.

It is true that racism exists, profiling occurs, but when people pull the race card every chance they get to some how negate stupid behavior they in fact diminish the real problems that need to be dealt with.

Ok, I was just a little confused as to how you worded it. I have also had a couple of beers tonight, so that might have had something to do with my confusion also. :cheers:

But no worries mate, no driving tonight for me.

.04 is two beers. I generally don't post at all, but come on people perhaps he was at a friends party, had a couple beers and left. Also, it is a free country, and people are allowed to drive at 3am. As some one else posted in this thread, he is a grown man and he can do whatever he wants to do.

Mother: Navin (Tank), it's your birthday, and it's time you knew. You're not our natural-born child.

Navin R. Johnson: I'm not? You mean I'm gonna STAY this color?

Seriously though, NOTHING good happens when you are out past 1 AM. There is a reason they call it the "Straw that breaks the camel's back". Large number of small occurrences will eventually bring about consequences, as Tank has/is finding out. If this was his first or second "issue" I'm sure the Bears would have cut him some slack, but he didn't respect them enough to walk the straight and narrow for 4 months.

.04 is two beers. I generally don't post at all, but come on people perhaps he was at a friends party, had a couple beers and left. Also, it is a free country, and people are allowed to drive at 3am. As some one else posted in this thread, he is a grown man and he can do whatever he wants to do.

True. Like looking for a new employer.

Since I thought they rushed to judgement in the 1st place...I'm gonna go ahead and say "no" it doesn't change my opinion.

I would really like the NFL to learn a little due process before this type of thing.

I mean c'mon....how long did it take to get the results back?

.04 is not the limit. .08 is. He's on probation. He has a bad history with the police. He was speeding. Grown men don't act like that, at least none of the ones that I would truly consider "men."

It's amazing how many people are trying to justify this behaviour. If I was the Bears I would have done the same thing. The guy already promised to clean up his act. He then violates his probation. He then gets suspended 8 games by the NFL and says he's going to be man of the year.

Then he's caught out speeding at 3am after drinking. It doesn't matter what his BAL was, what matters is that right after getting sanctioned by the league, serving jail time, and generally screwing up, then promising to be a better guy he can't go two weeks without effing up again. He embarrassed the Bears with his behaviour. They gave him every chance and he still couldn't keep himself under control.

He doesn't get it and he may never get it. You have to cut him loose, period. The only reason the Titans haven't cut Pacman loose is because of the salary cap, otherwise he'd be done too. Face it, these guys could easily hire drivers for the night if they want to go out, they could just as easily stay at home, knowing they're already on thin ice.

They dont get it though. They think they can keep up the lifestyle and not get caught. That kind of behaviour stinks of sheer selfish stupidity. These guys aren't men, they're little boys. Men get it, little boys don't.

Archived