Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LL and ST are NOT bad in coverage people

gibbswinsthesb

What effect will Betts2006 have on Portis2007?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. What effect will Betts2006 have on Portis2007?

• The pressure will make Portis play a Pro Bowl season as the Redskins workhorse back.
    • The 2006 season Betts had will have no effect on Portis this year.
    • Portis and Betts will both have very good seasons sharing carries happily in a 1-2 tandem.
    • We'll be calling for Betts to start by midseason.

I am getting a little tired of completely ignorant people with no football knowledge posting how Sean Taylor and Laron Landry are suspect in pass coverage. Get a grip!!

Do we forget the first year under Gibbs? We were pretty darn good against the pass in that year. That was the rookie year of Sean Taylor. If I remember correctly, he played beside Ryan Clark that year, and the two of them did spectacularly. Yeah, Sean must have been bad in coverage in his rookie year. Heck, every player in that secondary played well! Our defense was 7th in the league against the pass that year.

Then look at 2005 when our defense was 10th against the pass. Once again Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs started next to Ryan Clark. Our only change was the loss of Smoot and addition of Walt Harris who replaced Fred Smoot as starting corner. Yeah, Sean Taylor must be bad in coverage to be the total leading tackler in combined years for a secondary that was top ten both years.

Fast forward to 2006 where we lose Walt Harris and Ryan Clark. We replaced them with Adam Archuletta who was AWFUL and Carlos Rogers who could not catch a badly thrown ball. Our turnovers plummetted and our suspect secondary had to be helped by the linebackers which allowed tremendous running performances by other teams.

Now, is it a wonder that Gregg Williams selected Laron Landry? Do you really think that Sean Taylor is at fault when he is trying to help on the line and in the secondary at the same time? For you fans who know little to nothing about football, Sean Taylor is not just a hard hitter. You must be an idiot to think that is all he can do. Just ask the players who once nicknamed him the "caged beast"? Just ask wide receivers who drop the ball in his presence. He is what we call a ball-hawk safety. If he sniffs running play, he goes toward the line. Oftentimes last year, deep plays were aimed to take Taylor out of the play by fakes. He still sometimes had enough sense to get back into the play. If you think he is bad in coverage, watch the man one on one. He lost weight this offseason to make up for the fakes if need be and gain speed. He is not bad in coverage as some might suspect, but he does bite on fakes more often than he ought. This year though fakes should be no problem.

Now, I get to the replacements for Walt Harris and Ryan Clark. We selected Laron Landry in hopes that he can replace Adam Archuletta and play as well as or better than Ryan Clark. This would solve the safety problem that we had last year, and it would allow Sean Taylor to not rush the line but stay back in coverage. For the first time I think in his coaching career, Gregg Williams has two tremendously talented safeties. Every time he has had two solid safeties, he has had a top defense. Now, some of other people who have never seen Laron Landry in action say that he is suspect in coverage. Stop making assumptions people when you know nothing about the guy. Those people who actually KNOW Laron said that he never allowed a single touchdown in all of his college career. Yeah, he sure did bit on those fakes didn't he... Also, people said he is a sideline to sideline player that can stop the run when players normally would have been gone for a touchdown. That might prove invaluable in run coverage. In other words, we now have two ball-hawk safeties. This will allows Gregg Williams to do things he has never done before with his defense. I would bet he is salivating!!

Lastly, we went out and signed a bunch of secondary talent. We brought back Fred Smoot from the year we were 7th in coverage. He was in a bad defense in Minnesota. We brought in Butler, Macklin, and several other players with much talent. I would also guess Carlos will play better this year considering the scrutiny he has received from coaches last year until now. I think the secondary is now a strength.

With the secondary a strength, we can do what we used to by blitzing from all directions again. We signed a MLB who is quite good in coverage. Landry will be a run-stopper allowing Sean Taylor the freedom to just cover the pass. I cannot imagine the number of jump balls he will win considering that the only player who seems capable of beating him in such a situation might be Terrell Owens. I think with an overloaded front like we used to do in 2004 and 2005, we will be able to stop the run like we used to, and the pass will be Sean Taylor's and the corners' job. Laron and Fletcher will cover TE and WRs across the middle, and our pass rush will come from any player. Our d-line will do what it usually does, and we will return to form.

I just want to say lastly that for all of you doubters that I am 99% sure our defense will be very good this year. Our defense was not versatile last year, but the additions of Landry and Fletcher have made us INCREDIBLY versatile this year. Sean Taylor can stay in coverage, OLBs and CBs could rush the quarterback, and our line will not be alone on an island like when we dropped seven or six into coverage last year. All of these things should make us a top defense again. We filled last years holes and healed the injuries. We should be pretty good actually!

DISCLAIMER: I am not bashing those mentioned above. If you are one of these people, I am not mad at you. I am just frustrated at the seeming lack of football knowledge that such people possess. The talent of Sean Taylor and Laron Landry may become one of the best safety tandems of all time (not just this year)! When it happens, I WILL say I told you so because of all the negative spins people have put on this board this offseason. Know your football!

HTTR!!

:point2sky

The fact is, Sean Taylor was bad in coverage last year. Not because he can't cover, but because he was trying to cover for the weaknesses of the rest of the defense and spread himself thin. Anyone saying Taylor was bad in coverage last year is correct, anyone saying Taylor is bad in coverage is not.

LaRon Landry we know nothing about at the pro level. I think he'll be great, but the fact is, we have NO way of knowing.

BTW, Landry better be better than Clark and I at the least pray that we were thinking he would be A LOT better than Clark when we took him 6 overall. I dont know why people keep making Clark out to be this great player. Dude sucked. We needed an upgrade over Clark. Unfortunately Archuleta was not necessarily the right upgrade in our system but that doesnt make Ryan Clark a good player. He got benched for a 4-5th round rookie in Pittsburgh.

The fact is, Sean Taylor was bad in coverage last year. Not because he can't cover, but because he was trying to cover for the weaknesses of the rest of the defense and spread himself thin. Anyone saying Taylor was bad in coverage last year is correct, anyone saying Taylor is bad in coverage is not.

LaRon Landry we know nothing about at the pro level. I think he'll be great, but the fact is, we have NO way of knowing.

I used to play on a team that could not cover the pass, and I know what it is like. When you get your assignment every time and no one else seems capable of handling their assignment, you start trying to do two or three things at once. Once this happens, your assignment gets open also, and now, you have a dilemma. The problem last year was what you were saying, but to say he was bad in coverage because he was trying to do too much seems a little insulting to ME and HIM.

Secondly, Laron's brother played for Baltimore last year as a starting safety. Both the family and his brother have said that Laron is the stronger and better player and always has been. This bodes well, but it certainly does not guarantee success at the Pro level.

I used to play on a team that could not cover the pass, and I know what it is like. When you get your assignment every time and no one else seems capable of handling their assignment, you start trying to do two or three things at once. Once this happens, your assignment gets open also, and now, you have a dilemma. The problem last year was what you were saying, but to say he was bad in coverage because he was trying to do too much seems a little insulting to ME and HIM.

Secondly, Laron's brother played for Baltimore last year as a starting safety. Both the family and his brother have said that Laron is the stronger and better player and always has been. This bodes well, but it certainly does not guarantee success at the Pro level.

Insults you and him? Obviously you didn't get what I was saying. He spread himself thin. He tried making up for our piss poor defense. He struggled in coverage because of that. That's not an insult, that's truth. He gambled to make up for weaknesses and he's paid the price for it. He'll be back to form this year.

And how does that insult you?

Do I know who you are? Do I care that you blew a few assignments? Get a grip.

I am getting a little tired of completely ignorant people with no football knowledge posting how Sean Taylor and Laron Landry are suspect in pass coverage. Get a grip!!

Just out of curiosity, what makes you so qualified to assess Taylor and Landry's coverage ability?

The only thing I'm worried about Landry is that if Williams will use him right. Arch was in teh same mold, but worse in coverage, and yet he was asked to cover TEs. I hope Landry is used so that he can maximize his performance on his strengths.

Anyone saying that Taylor was bad in coverage last year should supply the name of the safety that could have done better in his position.

I will puke if i see Ed Reed cuz his surrounding cast is too good and he had people making tackles in front of him. Taylor had more than double his tackles.

Taylor is the heart and soul of our defense--even last year, maybe especially last year.

Taylor wasn't the problem. Gregg Williams was the problem.

When Gregg chose to not bring pressure on the qb......but rather to let opposing qbs pick apart our injured secondary...our season was over before it began.

Again, I'll say it as it doesn't seem to be registering.

Taylor's coverage wasn't good last year. It just wasn't. Why? Because he tried to do too much. He tried to cover the entire field. I'm not saying he was a bad player, I'm not saying anyone could have done it better, I'm not saying I don't like Taylor, I'm not saying Taylor isn't an outstanding safety.

What I'm saying is that because he tried to cover so much ground, his coverage suffered.

That's all I'm saying.

Oh and PS: A Free Safety isn't supposed to get 100 tackles a season. Am I complaining? No. I love that Taylor makes the plays. I just wish our front four made more of them.

Taylor's coverage wasn't good last year. It just wasn't. Why? Because he tried to do too much. He tried to cover the entire field. I'm not saying he was a bad player, I'm not saying anyone could have done it better, I'm not saying I don't like Taylor, I'm not saying Taylor isn't an outstanding safety.

What I'm saying is that because he tried to cover so much ground, his coverage suffered.

That's all I'm saying.

Oh and PS: A Free Safety isn't supposed to get 100 tackles a season. Am I complaining? No. I love that Taylor makes the plays. I just wish our front four made more of them.

i dont' think he was just trying to make the plays, i think he was being asked to do all that extra stuff primarily b/c arch turned out to be the worst fit for our team ever.

i dont' think he was just trying to make the plays, i think he was being asked to do all that extra stuff primarily b/c arch turned out to be the worst fit for our team ever.

Which very well may be the case. But on the field, Taylor is STILL responsible for it.

That doesn't make Gregg Williams decision (if he DID make that call) a good one. In fact, if that call was made by Williams, that's a downright awful decision to make. He sacraficed his number one playmaker in order to try to get some consistency on defense because they wasted $40 million on a personal punt protector.

That's all I'm saying.

Hey, Kdawg, I agree with you dude about the coverage issue, and all I was saying earlier is that anyone good at something on a team that cannot pull the slack will feel extra pressure to produce. All I am saying is the dude was trying to make up for a MIA safety and a porous DB core. He was the lone ranger against four or five wide receivers oftentimes. He may have been trying to cover ground, but he was making up for others. I am merely saying that with Landry I am almost sure this will not be an issue. We are a more versatile defense now.

Lastly, I know a PROTYPICAL safety does not get 100 tackles in a year, but there is something you may not know about a Gregg Williams defense. Look back at the statistics of past years, and you will often see safeties and cornerbacks near the top of the tackle list on many of his teams. It should be obvious when you watch film of 2004 or 2005 when we sent DBs in after the quarterbacks and running backs of opposing teams. This is why Gregg liked Adam. Adam was a ball-hawk safety, but we had a porous secondary, and he was not so good at coverage. I am just excited because I think the mix of Sean Taylor and Laron Landry is perfect. They are somewhat similar, but they have special talents in particular areas that make them perfect for a Gregg Williams defense in different respects.

Oh, and I was not insulted. I was just saying that from a player's perspective it is not the best player's fault that the team lost. When he plays his heart out and someone says that he played terribly, that just seems unjustified. Does that make sense?

Hey, Kdawg, I agree with you dude about the coverage issue, and all I was saying earlier is that anyone good at something on a team that cannot pull the slack will feel extra pressure to produce. All I am saying is the dude was trying to make up for a MIA safety and a porous DB core. He was the lone ranger against four or five wide receivers oftentimes. He may have been trying to cover ground, but he was making up for others. I am merely saying that with Landry I am almost sure this will not be an issue. We are a more versatile defense now.

Lastly, I know a PROTYPICAL safety does not get 100 tackles in a year, but there is something you may not know about a Gregg Williams defense. Look back at the statistics of past years, and you will often see safeties and cornerbacks near the top of the tackle list on many of his teams. It should be obvious when you watch film of 2004 or 2005 when we sent DBs in after the quarterbacks and running backs of opposing teams. This is why Gregg liked Adam. Adam was a ball-hawk safety, but we had a porous secondary, and he was not so good at coverage. I am just excited because I think the mix of Sean Taylor and Laron Landry is perfect. They are somewhat similar, but they have special talents in particular areas that make them perfect for a Gregg Williams defense in different respects.

Oh, and I was not insulted. I was just saying that from a player's perspective it is not the best player's fault that the team lost. When he plays his heart out and someone says that he played terribly, that just seems unjustified. Does that make sense?

Makes much more sense.

And I know that about GWill defenses... I also know his DLines tend to be weaker than any other aspect of his defense...

How long will the post go on before we realize that ST and LL have not even played a single snap together?

Or are we just gonna go off of Landry's college film and the hope that they will be awesome together throughout this entire thread?

How long will the post go on before we realize that ST and LL have not even played a single snap together?

Or are we just gonna go off of Landry's college film and the hope that they will be awesome together throughout this entire thread?

I saw a video on youtube that had both Landry and Taylor in it. Guess what...neither of them gave up a TD pass. Thats proof enough for me!

:rolleyes:

I really hope they will be good together, but Im not gonna go talk trash or say how good they will be together until they actually, you know, play together.

Clark was very good in coverage, if I am not mistaken I think he played both CB and safety with the giants. He was also pretty fast, in comparison to AA.

You are dead wrong. AA has more speed than both Clark and Taylor. Speed does not make you good in coverage.

Do we forget the first year under Gibbs? We were pretty darn good against the pass in that year. That was the rookie year of Sean Taylor. If I remember correctly, he played beside Ryan Clark that year, and the two of them did spectacularly. Yeah, Sean must have been bad in coverage in his rookie year. Heck, every player in that secondary played well! Our defense was 7th in the league against the pass that year.

Then look at 2005 when our defense was 10th against the pass. Once again Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs started next to Ryan Clark. Our only change was the loss of Smoot and addition of Walt Harris who replaced Fred Smoot as starting corner. Yeah, Sean Taylor must be bad in coverage to be the total leading tackler in combined years for a secondary that was top ten both years.

Fast forward to 2006 where we lose Walt Harris and Ryan Clark. We replaced them with Adam Archuletta who was AWFUL and Carlos Rogers who could not catch a badly thrown ball. Our turnovers plummetted and our suspect secondary had to be helped by the linebackers which allowed tremendous running performances by other teams.

Now, is it a wonder that Gregg Williams selected Laron Landry? Do you really think that Sean Taylor is at fault when he is trying to help on the line and in the secondary at the same time? For you fans who know little to nothing about football, Sean Taylor is not just a hard hitter. You must be an idiot to think that is all he can do. Just ask the players who once nicknamed him the "caged beast"? Just ask wide receivers who drop the ball in his presence. He is what we call a ball-hawk safety. If he sniffs running play, he goes toward the line. Oftentimes last year, deep plays were aimed to take Taylor out of the play by fakes. He still sometimes had enough sense to get back into the play. If you think he is bad in coverage, watch the man one on one. He lost weight this offseason to make up for the fakes if need be and gain speed. He is not bad in coverage as some might suspect, but he does bite on fakes more often than he ought. This year though fakes should be no problem.

Now, I get to the replacements for Walt Harris and Ryan Clark. We selected Laron Landry in hopes that he can replace Adam Archuletta and play as well as or better than Ryan Clark. This would solve the safety problem that we had last year, and it would allow Sean Taylor to not rush the line but stay back in coverage. For the first time I think in his coaching career, Gregg Williams has two tremendously talented safeties. Every time he has had two solid safeties, he has had a top defense. Now, some of other people who have never seen Laron Landry in action say that he is suspect in coverage. Stop making assumptions people when you know nothing about the guy. Those people who actually KNOW Laron said that he never allowed a single touchdown in all of his college career. Yeah, he sure did bit on those fakes didn't he... Also, people said he is a sideline to sideline player that can stop the run when players normally would have been gone for a touchdown. That might prove invaluable in run coverage. In other words, we now have two ball-hawk safeties. This will allows Gregg Williams to do things he has never done before with his defense. I would bet he is salivating!!

Lastly, we went out and signed a bunch of secondary talent. We brought back Fred Smoot from the year we were 7th in coverage. He was in a bad defense in Minnesota. We brought in Butler, Macklin, and several other players with much talent. I would also guess Carlos will play better this year considering the scrutiny he has received from coaches last year until now. I think the secondary is now a strength.

With the secondary a strength, we can do what we used to by blitzing from all directions again. We signed a MLB who is quite good in coverage. Landry will be a run-stopper allowing Sean Taylor the freedom to just cover the pass. I cannot imagine the number of jump balls he will win considering that the only player who seems capable of beating him in such a situation might be Terrell Owens. I think with an overloaded front like we used to do in 2004 and 2005, we will be able to stop the run like we used to, and the pass will be Sean Taylor's and the corners' job. Laron and Fletcher will cover TE and WRs across the middle, and our pass rush will come from any player. Our d-line will do what it usually does, and we will return to form.

I just want to say lastly that for all of you doubters that I am 99% sure our defense will be very good this year. Our defense was not versatile last year, but the additions of Landry and Fletcher have made us INCREDIBLY versatile this year. Sean Taylor can stay in coverage, OLBs and CBs could rush the quarterback, and our line will not be alone on an island like when we dropped seven or six into coverage last year. All of these things should make us a top defense again. We filled last years holes and healed the injuries. We should be pretty good actually!

DISCLAIMER: I am not bashing those mentioned above. If you are one of these people, I am not mad at you. I am just frustrated at the seeming lack of football knowledge that such people possess. The talent of Sean Taylor and Laron Landry may become one of the best safety tandems of all time (not just this year)! When it happens, I WILL say I told you so because of all the negative spins people have put on this board this offseason. Know your football!

HTTR!!

:point2sky

A little harsh, but I totally agree. I pose this question to you. Will Landry start off the bat, come in later on in the season, or start at all this season?:applause: :applause: :cheers: :notworthy :point2sky

Or are we just gonna go off of Landry's college film and the hope that they will be awesome together throughout this entire thread?[/QUOTE]

I think the hope that they will be awesome together.:2cents:

A little harsh, but I totally agree. I pose this question to you. Will Landry start off the bat, come in later on in the season, or start at all this season?:applause: :applause: :cheers: :notworthy :point2sky

PP will start versus Miami. But I expect Landry to start the week after that Mondy night game.

As far as Ryan Clark in Pittsburgh, it is not him it is the system. I think Ryan Clark is a ok saftey for a gregg willams D. But what they are doing in Pittsburgh is some new stuff that Clark look confused doing, In my opinion I think Clark will never be as good as he was in 05. And he wasn't that good then either he is averaage.

Archived