Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LL and ST are NOT bad in coverage people

gibbswinsthesb

What effect will Betts2006 have on Portis2007?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. What effect will Betts2006 have on Portis2007?

• The pressure will make Portis play a Pro Bowl season as the Redskins workhorse back.
    • The 2006 season Betts had will have no effect on Portis this year.
    • Portis and Betts will both have very good seasons sharing carries happily in a 1-2 tandem.
    • We'll be calling for Betts to start by midseason.

Taylor is the heart and soul of our defense--even last year, maybe especially last year.

Taylor wasn't the problem. Gregg Williams was the problem.

When Gregg chose to not bring pressure on the qb......but rather to let opposing qbs pick apart our injured secondary...our season was over before it began.

Assanine. Completely egotistical and assanine.

This reminds me of some guy who wanted to trade Portis.......

What you suggest is to open our D that was already struggling against the pass to the run as well. We got ran and passed against all too much as it was.

Perhaps after 2 years of manufacturing a top 10 defense he was struck in the head with a 747 and became dumber than you are. You should totally be our defensive coordinator. You could have solved everything just by blitzing.

What is wrong with GW he should be reading this so he can learn a little something from you.:toilet:

I am getting a little tired of completely ignorant people with no football knowledge posting how Sean Taylor and Laron Landry are suspect in pass coverage. Get a grip!!
Just out of curiosity, what makes you so qualified to assess Taylor and Landry's coverage ability?

:laugh: Another McD5 who knows much much more than everyone else on the board I guess.

Also. I don't remember reading much on this board about Landry or Taylor being suspect in coverage at all. I think we've discussed Taylor's struggles in coverage last season which were real but were a result of a struggling secondary and a completely useless AA. Taylor wasn't the problem, his problems were a result of the defence as a whole and his trying to make up for all of it, but even ST can't cover the entire field.

How long will the post go on before we realize that ST and LL have not even played a single snap together?

Or are we just gonna go off of Landry's college film and the hope that they will be awesome together throughout this entire thread?[/QUOTE]

I think the hope that they will be awesome together.:2cents:

Could of fooled me :D

I'll echo what others have said, Landry has yet to cover an NFL receiver in a game, so I'll just hope he can do it. He looks like he can, but one never knows. Roy Williams supposedly could cover coming out of college, too.

As far as why Taylor was not good in coverage last year, I hear all this about him overcompensating, etc, but it seems everyone forgot about that infamous SI article that reported that the DBs coach had changed their read methods. As I recall, last year they were getting their reads from the QBs eyes, as opposed to the tackle's feet.

This is why he got sucked into play action so often and beaten deep, why he bit on such easy out and up pump fakes. It was pretty obvious when you look at it. The secondary was off balance because they were trying to read from the wrong place.

Dare I say, unless they've fixed their coaching approach to the DBs, ain't much gonna change.

~Bang

Taylor is the heart and soul of our defense--even last year, maybe especially last year.

Taylor wasn't the problem. Gregg Williams was the problem.

When Gregg chose to not bring pressure on the qb......but rather to let opposing qbs pick apart our injured secondary...our season was over before it began.

GW said himself that he failed to adjust properly last year. But I think it runs quite abit deeper than that. I think the injuries on the line, the poor LBer play and the obvious Tom, Dick and Harry appoach in the backfield had alittle to do with what GW could bring up front. I knew we were in trouble when AA was on the bench and PP was out with injury. ST had no help and Springs is a much bigger part of the Defense then most know.

Nope, I've never seen Landry play in the NFL... but I bet you the guy can cover. He just has too good a head on his shoulders and too much athleticism not to be able to cover.

Do we know this? Nope. Do most people who really know the NFL think he can cover? Yep, and that's because of how he played in college. Not foolproof, but still as good an indicator as any way we have of judging rookies.

I'm not worried about the safeties, really. It's the defensive line that concerns me and IMO that is a much bigger problem going into '07 than our secondary.

I used to play on a team that could not cover the pass, and I know what it is like. When you get your assignment every time and no one else seems capable of handling their assignment, you start trying to do two or three things at once. Once this happens, your assignment gets open also, and now, you have a dilemma. The problem last year was what you were saying, but to say he was bad in coverage because he was trying to do too much seems a little insulting to ME and HIM.

Secondly, Laron's brother played for Baltimore last year as a starting safety. Both the family and his brother have said that Laron is the stronger and better player and always has been. This bodes well, but it certainly does not guarantee success at the Pro level.

This is the NFL not flag football, there is a little bit of a difference, you know.

Can Taylor and Landry cover for 7 seconds? With this defensive line they will have too, on occasions.

Nope, I've never seen Landry play in the NFL... but I bet you the guy can cover. He just has too good a head on his shoulders and too much athleticism not to be able to cover.

Do we know this? Nope. Do most people who really know the NFL think he can cover? Yep, and that's because of how he played in college. Not foolproof, but still as good an indicator as any way we have of judging rookies.

I'm not worried about the safeties, really. It's the defensive line that concerns me and IMO that is a much bigger problem going into '07 than our secondary.

Best response to this thread! :cheers:

GW said himself that he failed to adjust properly last year. But I think it runs quite abit deeper than that. I think the injuries on the line, the poor LBer play and the obvious Tom, Dick and Harry appoach in the backfield had alittle to do with what GW could bring up front. I knew we were in trouble when AA was on the bench and PP was out with injury. ST had no help and Springs is a much bigger part of the Defense then most know.

Great post on all points.

Careful on the criticism of Gregg Williams last year however. Even though he admitted he was bad, people will crucify you on here for even suggesting it. Many are ok paying him the highest amount of money in the league....even if he performed near the bottom of his peers.

And Springs being out was huge. I think that was by far the most devastating injury to our team. Betts picked up at least the majority of what Portis brought....but no one could fill in for Springs.

WOW!AA couldnt even keep up with Jason Whitten!Fast ?:rolleyes:...............yeah real fast.

Whitten didn't outrun AA stride for stride. All it takes is one move to lose AA though. AA is very fast when running straight ahead but the moment a TE or WR or even a OL makes a hip or head fake AA gets all turned around and confused.

Archived