Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Us Soccer Team Wins Gold Cup

Hooper

Missed the damn thing. Sure it'll be replayed though ...

Gotta admit I'm pleasantly surprised. Given the transition from Arena, massive turnover on the roster and influx of youth, I was half expecting them to disappoint. It was hardly breathtaking play I saw from them, but there was a certain spark I didn't really think I'd see quite yet.

For the first time in my lifetime, US soccer actually looks able to rebuild--or at the least remain competitive--on the fly.

Somewhat mixed feelings about the team and Coach Bradley. The players are certainly creating scoring chances -- more so than under Arena -- but no one can finish. They blew so many gimme goals in the tournament. It's not a good sign.

Somewhat mixed feelings about the team and Coach Bradley. The players are certainly creating scoring chances -- more so than under Arena -- but no one can finish. They blew so many gimme goals in the tournament. It's not a good sign.

That's nothing new though, finishing has always been the US' Achilles Heel. I'll dig up some posts about that very thing I wrote years ago ...

As I was watching the semi though, the thought occurred to me that we're checking off boxes as we go. We've had international caliber goaltending for years. A few years ago, I remember noticing our defensive play (if inconsistent) started to come together, to where, along with guys like Meola and Keller in goal, we could stay in games against just about anybody. Watching the game and half or so I got to see of this tournament, I thought I saw signs that the midfield was reaching legit international levels as well.

Which leaves the one thing that's glaringly missing, as you say--finishing. I remain confident that the day's coming though ... someone out there right now is a guy with the athleticism to play the point in the NBA, but who's growing up with a love for soccer.

Come on down, junior, wherever you are.

I watched the game today. Chang, and Beasly missed open goal opportunities. One question though, I watched the last 15 minutes of the game on a Spanish Television network, what other networks showed the game.

I watched the game today. Chang, and Beasly missed open goal opportunities. One question though, I watched the last 15 minutes of the game on a Spanish Television network, what other networks showed the game.

Fox Soccer Channel #613 on DirecTTv.

Should have been 4-1.

Beasley and Ching missing empty netters to pout the game away is criminal.

Great sub on Bradleys part to put Clark in for Mastro. The game completely changed when he did that.

And anyone missing the Howard save with a minute left needs to find it. Game saving moment and should go down as one of the greatest saves in history. It was sick.

Great tourney by the Nats. That makes Bradley 10-0-1 since taking over.

Oh, and the Mexicans refused to shake hands after the game. Typical.

It was a very entertaining game, watched every second. I was glad to see that we produced so many scoring oppurtunities, but am still amazed how this team has no legit strikers. We need some guys up top who know how to put the ball in the back of the net. I really wish McBride was still young and involved with the team.

I CANT WAIT for next week though (thursday). The U.S. starts the gold cup, and start of the tourney against ARGENTINA!!! this is going to be a major test to really see where this team is really at.

and for anyone that wants to watch a replay of the game, check fox sportsnet...they are replaying it tonight at 11, tommorow at 8, and then probably 3 more times throughout the week...

The US starts Copa America this Thursday. But we are taking a B side at best. If we do anything at all, it will be a huge suprise.

Im looking at 3 and out.

I dont know though, we have a pretty deep bench, and honestly, except for a select few, I dont see that big of a dropoff in talent (especcially up top)...

I hope some of the players who get little playing time will stil show up. I thought Ricardo Clark looked great today, and I hope he will be able to get a few starts next week....

we shall see though

Why would there be any surprise- when does US lose to Mexico. HA HA HA (to all the Mexican soccer fans, which there are quite a bit in SoCal)

Anway, US soccer needs to do alot to recover form their World Cup disaster to reel in any fans.

I dont know though, we have a pretty deep bench, and honestly, except for a select few, I dont see that big of a dropoff in talent (especcially up top)...

I hope some of the players who get little playing time will stil show up. I thought Ricardo Clark looked great today, and I hope he will be able to get a few starts next week....

we shall see though

He certainly did.

Without Donovan, Beasley, Gooch, et al. I dont see us winning anything. This was the important tournament, not next week. This win gives us a berth in the Confed cup in 2009 in South Africa before the World Cup.

I'll root like hell as well, but I have very very little to no expectations.

I'm more interested in the U-23 Olympic Qulaifying beginning next month.

He certainly did.

Without Donovan, Beasley, Gooch, et al. I dont see us winning anything. This was the important tournament, not next week. This win gives us a berth in the Confed cup in 2009 in South Africa before the World Cup.

I'll root like hell as well, but I have very very little to no expectations.

I'm more interested in the U-23 Olympic Qulaifying beginning next month.

so who are all of the players that arnt going to play? has it been announced somewhere or something? If those guys arn't playing, I would expect regular such as bocanegra, mastroeni, and others not to be in either? Honestly, I wasnt aware of all these players not playing, but it obviously makes sense if you think about it a little bit.

Are you going to be watching any of the U-20 world cup that starts up here next week as well? Im pretty interested in seeing our youngster play Brazil here in a couple of weeks. We could get a small look at what our future could hold for us

Yes- I saw it- and was very pumped by the the US comeback. You could tell the mexican players really wanted it, and were devestated by the second goal- a cracker as the brits would say, from outside the box. The best international goal the US has had since 02 vs Portugal. I say congrats to our boys in red white and blue! (copa america is going to be a whole different ballgame though) no landycakes, no beasley, no tim howard (who was brilliant today by the way) no onieyewu etc. we are going to get schooled by the argentines on thursday.

Ching was playing his butt off today. He had a wide open net, waited a little too long and banged it off the post. That 2nd goal was a thing of beauty.

If you don't get FSC, it was on Univision today as well (albeit in Spanish). It was cool hearing the "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL" on that station.

Are you kidding me? This is the best this team has looked in ages. Beasley is a chump and he cant finish, I'll give you that, but the team looks awesome. Frankie Hedjuk missed the game today and thats probably why Mexico even scored 1 goal. Hedjuk is sick. You saw that goal he scored Thursday. Anyway, this team is so young and they are only going to get better. I cant wait for 2010. We are gunna kick ass.

Ching was playing his butt off today. He had a wide open net, waited a little too long and banged it off the post. That 2nd goal was a thing of beauty.

If you don't get FSC, it was on Univision today as well (albeit in Spanish). It was cool hearing the "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL" on that station.

Soccer is so much better when watched in spanish (if you understand it)

American commentators are too boring...

Even the Brits make it exciting.

Ching kept using that nice little turn all day, and it seemed to work everytime. You would think the damn mexicans would learn after 1 or 2 times, but nope.

Our Copa Roster-

Kyle Beckerman

Jonathan Bornstein

Bobby Boswell

Danny Califf

Ricardo Clark

Jimmy Conrad

Charlie Davies

Jay DeMerit

Benny Feilhaber

Eddie Gaven

Herculez Gomez