Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Strongest Position in Redskins History

Offensive line, no questions asked.

I'd agree with this and if you wanted a specific position I would say left tackle. Going back to the early 80's we have had Jacoby, Lachey and now Samuels. All Pro Bowlers and the first two should be HOF.

I think the redskins were redefined during the Allen era

We went from being a QB first offense to everything starting and ending with the offensive line

Prior to Allen we had two of the best QB's of all time, for long tenures too. With Allen we've had the Hogs, then Hogs II under Gibbs and now Hogs III aka the Dirtbags under Gibbs again.

outside of the offensive line i'd say we've had great cornerbacks during the last 40 years

WR

Bobby Mitchell

Charley Taylor

Roy Jefferson

Art Monk

Gary Clark

Ricky Sanders

Santana Moss could be another one?!?!?

:applause:

Don't forget Henry Ellard and Charlie Brown.

We've had a lot of great offensive linemen too but we are talking about 3 of the alltime greats at WR in Mitchell, Taylor and Monk.

It's tough to fairly compare them because you have 5 players starting each year on the offensive line and only 2 at WR.

Russ Grimm

Joe Jacoby

Len Hauss

Jim Lachey

Chris Samuels

Jeff Bostic

John Jansen

Randy Thomas

Walt Rock

Mark Schlereth

Raleigh McKenzie

Mark May

DBs are also well represented

Darrell Green

Champ Bailey

Sean Taylor

Mike Bass

Pat Fischer

Ken Houston

Brig Owens

Paul Krause

Joe Lavender

I'd still give it to WRs.

:applause:

Don't forget Henry Ellard and Charlie Brown.

We've had a lot of great offensive linemen too but we are talking about 3 of the alltime greats at WR in Mitchell, Taylor and Monk.

It's tough to fairly compare them because you have 5 players starting each year on the offensive line and only 2 at WR.

Russ Grimm

Joe Jacoby

Len Hauss

Jim Lachey

Chris Samuels

Jeff Bostic

John Jansen

Randy Thomas

Walt Rock

Mark Schlereth

Raleigh McKenzie

Mark May

DBs are also well represented

Darrell Green

Champ Bailey

Sean Taylor

Mike Bass

Pat Fischer

Ken Houston

Brig Owens

Paul Krause

Joe Lavender

I'd still give it to WRs.

To be fair, I think you have to break it down to individual OL position. Someone mentioned left tackle as a big strength, with Jacoby, Lachey, and now Samuels. I mentioned center, with 3-time Pro Bowler Jim Shrader, 5-time Pro Bowler Len Hauss, and original Hog Jeff Bostic.

Sure weve had some good LBers but when haven't we had a good/great RB?

Since I've been watching we've had Riggins, Rogers, Byner, Allen, Davis, Portis.

Before that we had Brown, Thomas in the 70's.

Our 4 worst years in the past 40 years were the years when one of the above guys wasn't our leading RB. 1993-1994 was Brooks/Ervins and we were 3-13 and 4-12, 2003 was Candidate and we were 5-11, last year was 5-11 and it was Betts.

So I'd say that it has been RB that we have been consistently winning with, and when we don't have a dominant RB we don't win games.

Offensive Line isn't exactly a position... It's 5 positions. The common factor was great offensive line coaches like Joe Bugel and Jim Hanifan. I think Center is probably the best of the 5 positions, as said above... BUT!

I'll go QB: Baugh, Jurgensen, Kilmer, Thiesmann, Williams, Rypien, and hopefully Jason Campbell

What other team in the NFL has won 3 different Super Bowls with 3 different QBs?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the answer is 0...

Teams with 3 wins (or more):

GB - Starr, Favre

Dallas - Staubach, Aikman

SF - Montana, Young

NE - Brady

Pittsburgh - Bradshaw, Roethlisberger

Oakland - Stabler, Plunkett

I think it's been running back.

In the last 40 years or so (Since Larry Brown was drafted... 69 i believe.) we've consistently had a running back that was a threat to reckon with.

Larry Brown to

Mike Thomas to

John Riggins to

George Rogers to

Ernest Byner to

Terry Allen to

Stephen Davis to

Clinton Portis

~Bang

The running backs of the 80s and 90s benefited greatly from playing behind the best offensive line of all time. The Hogs. I think if you poll fans of other teams that's the position that would get the most respect. Very hard to believe that there isn't a single hall of famer from that group. Out of out 3 Superbowl wins, they were the constant.

They were the reason the team won the Superbowl with 3 different QBs and 3 different starting runningbacks.

The only other constant was the WR squad and #28.

Archived