Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Springs Talks About Off-Season

jimster

i dont care too much for this guy... i liked him all the way up till late last season, then it hit me, this guy is a good corner but he sucks. i know that sounds funny, but his injury problems and his attitude just outweigh his play on the field by a long shot. i really hope he is gone after this season and we get someone a lot younger than HIM to replace him.

You guys are a bunch of fickle little girls. The guy was injured last year and then felt he was treated wrong in being shopped around and asked to take a pay cut. It's a business and you guys are letting your little feelers get in the way of rational thinking. Springs is our best corner by far and he's only missed two games in two seasons before last year. If he's on the field for 15 games again it'll be great for our D. It's always funny to watch the fallout after some player is quoted in the press. Remember all the Sean Taylor bashing? Yeah, that was fun.

"Either you want me or you don't," Springs said. "All that other stuff, that ain't important."

this line also got to me. Yeah im sure they want you, but not at the price theyre paying you especially since you are unable to stay healthy for an entire season.

Well as Shawn said, then cut him if you don't want to pay him that salary.

He called their bluff.

Good for Shawn.

i mean...the skins did handle the offseason with him pretty crappily. if i were SS, id probably be a little irritated with the team as well. but he's here, he's healthy and he's in shape. he's going to play and he's going to play hard. i think ppl need to back up off him with the "he's ****y" "he's a jerk" stuff. think about it - say your employer was looking to trade you. how would you feel after that?

****y sucker

I agree when I was at the eagles game last year I was standing outside watching the players come in where everyone gets autographs and he didnt pay mind to any of the fans just kept on walking and I watched every other player either stop and talk or sign autographs but no not Shawn Springs. From there on he just seemed like a ****y guy to me.

He really sounds bitter:wtf:

i dunno...it makes it seem like the redskins play unnecessary mental games with people. its a strange pattern the big name players always seem to have a riff with the FO or coaching staff.

the player always comes off bitter or defensive while the FO or coaching staff fail to acknowledge there was a anything going on.

I've always liked Springs on the field and from what I have seen of him off of the field. But that interview made it seem like he does not give a damn where he plays and that we can't afford to even think about trading or releasing him.

If opinions have changed for the worse about him, I could certainly understand why after reading that BS.

i dunno...it makes it seem like the redskins play unnecessary mental games with people. its a strange pattern the big name players always seem to have a riff with the FO or coaching staff.

the player always comes off bitter or defensive while the FO or coaching staff fail to acknowledge there was a anything going on.

What exactly was going on when Springs was a no call, no show in your opinion? Do you really think that he lost his phone?

What exactly was going on when Springs was a no call, no show in your opinion? Do you really think that he lost his phone?

i would assume he was upset and "lost" the phone. first they ask him about taking a pay cut, he declines, and they probably followed it up with a threat to be cut. he called their bluff, the skins tried to trade him, it didn't work out, and now SS is at an advantage. human nature, he was a little pissed. SS was working out, no less and eventually showed up in shape. I hope when TC comes around he'll be strickly business, but I guess that'll depend if the coaches or FO are bitter....then it could escalate and spiral out of control. :(

The guy is just sick of the FO and the moves they have made. Lots of veterans (according to Jon Keim) were furious that they reworked their contracts last season so the team could go out and blow money on guys like Archuleta and Lloyd -- guys the players knew were overrated -- while kick guys hard-working locker room faves like Ryan Clark to the curb.

He's far and away the Skin's best corner when healthy -- which is rare unfortunately. But unless he becomes a locker room problem or something, and he doesn't seem to be that kind of guy, the team should just hope for the best health-wise from him. Cutting him? Please. Rogers is looking like a potential bust and as much as I liked the Smoot and Macklin signings, they're solid number two corners -- at best.

I'm not a big fan of a guy who won't consider re-doing his deal to help the team out.

Plus, I'm firmly of the belief that Springs was the rat from last season which means he is lying through his teeth when he says he is low key, etc. Just makes him look like a douchebag.

You guys are a bunch of fickle little girls. The guy was injured last year and then felt he was treated wrong in being shopped around and asked to take a pay cut. It's a business and you guys are letting your little feelers get in the way of rational thinking. Springs is our best corner by far and he's only missed two games in two seasons before last year. If he's on the field for 15 games again it'll be great for our D. It's always funny to watch the fallout after some player is quoted in the press. Remember all the Sean Taylor bashing? Yeah, that was fun.

springs produced one year for us, in 04. 2 picks in two years is pathetic for a "best corner". if thats our best corner, we might as well concede now. corners are supposed to produce, picks/forced fumbles/tackles/deflections. he doesnt produce turnovers, our defenses biggest problem. some of you can keep deluding yourself into think hes some shutdown corner, but hes not. his numbers in 04, are number #1 corner numbers. his production in 05 wasnt, and obviously we know what 06 was. now hes got this pompous attitude to boot, and didnt even bother to show up to OTAs.

im completely fine with rogers and smoot with landry and taylor. granted we have a pass rush. springs is overpaid, underproducing, and now comes off like a jackass.

but hey, at least he didnt condone dogfighting..........:doh:

I'm not a big fan of a guy who won't consider re-doing his deal to help the team out.

Plus, I'm firmly of the belief that Springs was the rat from last season which means he is lying through his teeth when he says he is low key, etc. Just makes him look like a douchebag.

i would agree, he most likely was, might have been why they tried to deal him on top of all his other issues.

but hey, he lost his phone, thats why he couldnt call joe gibbs to explain himself. seems like a valid excuse to me for a 32 year old multi-millionare. :laugh:

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. The market for corners went WAY up this year with the Clements signing, and every corner worth his salt--from Antoine Winfield to Dre' Bly to Asante Samuel---was angling for a new mega-deal. Springs would have had no problem getting $7 mil this year, & probably would have commanded over $10 million in signing bonuses...yes, even for a 32-yr. old CB, someone would have shelled it out.

2. Even the casual fan can see that some of the money that the Redskins spend on certain players--to be kind--is on the high end. No reason for Springs to think he isn't worth that kind of money...esp. since the defensive coaches claim that part of the poor production from last year was because he wasn't on the field.

3. After you see your Dad come near death & has a risky medical operation to help him live (& you seriously consider ending your career to make that operation possible), and then later in the spring see your son come into the world...well, I would think it would put football & business into a perspective that players, coaches & fans sometimes lose.

Anyone who hates on Springs for not taking a pay cut needs to read the story on what happened to his father who also played in the NFL.

It was in the Washington Post a month or two ago, but long story short, Springs' dad struggles tremendously to support himself physically or financially due to injuries he received from playing football. This all goes along with the controversial topic of retired player pensions, but in my opinion gives Springs a ton of leverage when it comes to those who criticize his character for not taking less money.

Anyone who hates on Springs for not taking a pay cut needs to read the story on what happened to his father who also played in the NFL.

It was in the Washington Post a month or two ago, but long story short, Springs' dad struggles tremendously to support himself physically or financially due to injuries he received from playing football. This all goes along with the controversial topic of retired player pensions, but in my opinion gives Springs a ton of leverage when it comes to those who criticize his character for not taking less money.

If I am not mistaken his dad has diabetes and that disease is the main source of his medical problems.I believe he had to have a kidney transplant.

i dont care that he didnt take a pay cut, i wouldnt either. i care about him acting like a jackass, underperforming, and not staying healthy. im sure our FO cringes like the dickens when they cut checks to him. hes not worth anywhere near the money hes getting, he knows it and so does our FO.

The going rate at corner may have gone up but I don't think a 32 year old,injury prone corner would garner 7 mil. per on the open market.I am in favor of retaining Springs but when I read comments like the ones in this article I begin to wonder.I think he should be greatful he got paid what he has for the past 3 years.Wonder what Shawn has been paid per snap?

In the original thread for that story, I made the same point that I could sort of understand Springs not budging on his contract given his dad's health issues and the way Upshaw screws over former players these days. It IS a business, and Springs has to look long term for his health.

However, I really think he's sketching out on some of this, especially with the "lost my phone" BS. Sure, like you wouldn't have your NFL head coach's number written down anywhere, or in any other phone? I'm a freaking pool lifeguard but I keep my boss's number in a couple places just in case.

I just want him to be fine this year, play as well as he can, and he'll be gone after next season.

Archived