Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Springs Talks About Off-Season

jimster

People keep saying that we are paying Springs 7 mil dollars this year - which is flat out not true. From the best I can piece together, he signed a 6 year 31 mil contract with 13 mil in guarantees.

His payout in years would look something like:

2004 14

2005 0.5

2006 0.5

2007 5.0

2008 5.0

2009 6.0

This is the $$ that he actually pockets on a yearly basis, not his cap hit. So basically, Springs got about 15 mil for over the first 3 years of his deal (~ 5 mil per year). And now he is going to make 5 mil this year, 5 mil next year, and 6 mil the year after. Based on the deals signed in the offseason, he is NOT overpaid. The fact that we gave him a large signing bonus, that back loaded the cap hits is the FO's fault not Springs.

All that being said, he doesn't come across too well in that article, but I do understand his position...

I didn't like the tone of the article either, but I didn't hear him say those comments or look at body language, so the "feel" of the article could be taken out of contex.

That said, if Springs says that the "drama" is over, then play and have your best season yet here and prove to everybody you're worth the contract. If you get injured or have a so-so year, Springs won't be back next year.

I hope that Shawn plays well for us this season but after that I hope that he is not here anymore. I am done with him. I am not all the way convenced that he was not the one that started all that stuff about the safties and corners not meeting together and all that. Eather way like I said I am just done with the guy.

bitter much? came off as a total douche. hopefully he backs up his big mouth.
yeah that read did leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Shouldnt he be saying stuff like "I'm glad to be back. Ive worked out in Arizona and the injuries have sucked but im in the best shape of my life. Landry was a great pick, cant wait to start working out with the guys again." Eh whatever. All im saying is that he better stay healthy this year.
He really sounds bitter:wtf:

I dont know why you guys are so surprised about this. He's had a bad attitude ever since the Friend article.

If I felt like any other of our 20 corners could be a number one, Id say let his ass walk. But its obvious our coaches have about the same confidence I do.

It sucks because we're between a rock and a hard spot. Springs knows he'll never get another contract like the one he signed with us so its his last big pay day. I dont blame him for that, but the second he gets injured I'd cut him.

I dont know why you guys are so surprised about this. He's had a bad attitude ever since the Friend article.

If I felt like any other of our 20 corners could be a number one, Id say let his ass walk. But its obvious our coaches have about the same confidence I do.

It sucks because we're between a rock and a hard spot. Springs knows he'll never get another contract like the one he signed with us so its his last big pay day. I dont blame him for that, but the second he gets injured I'd cut him.

but was it ever proven that it was really him in that article? it was always between arch and him, and it was pretty obvious from the extensive previous knowledge that it was most likely springs.

i just dont want his obviously negative attitude to impact our defense. that is the friggin LAST thing we need this season.

****y sucker

Disagree with your post, Springs has every right to voice his position on what transpired over the past season. I am sure there are issues we are not priviledge to that may have bittered his outlook with the team. Of course the press has been adding fuel to issues surrounging Springs in the off-season.

With regards to his refusing to renegotiate his contract I think he is looking out for his security and I think it was a smart move to stand his ground.

He sounds like he has a point to prove.

i cant believe some of you little babies, the guy was shopped around in multiple trade talks and asked to take a pay cut. youd be pissed too if you were in his shoes.

his attitude is 100% understandable.

Thank you! god i love this site, but sometimes it just sick reading some of these posts. At the end of the day its the man's job i dont blame him one bit for being a bit testy.

Disagree with your post, Springs has every right to voice his position on what transpired over the past season. I am sure there are issues we are not priviledge to that may have bittered his outlook with the team. Of course the press has been adding fuel to issues surrounging Springs in the off-season.

With regards to his refusing to renegotiate his contract I think he is looking out for his security and I think it was a smart move to stand his ground.

He sounds like he has a point to prove.

and he has every right to be bitter, i assumed he was in the first place. it cant feel good to know your team is trying to unload you. but thats over and done with, now we are going to deal with the after effect, whcih is currently he does not sound too thrilled to be here. thats what worries me. maybe it all blows over and hes fine, but im not so sure it will.

Springs sounds TO-ish in this interview. Embarassing.

Agreed...

He lost his phone??? Dosen't he have an agent to get phone numbers for him??? Did he injure his fingers last season too and couldn't dial a phone? He's going to try and tell us that he went for over a month without a phone??

The one thing I question in this interview is his comment saying he is not seeking a cler the air meeting with Gibbs.. Didn't Gibbs say last week that they sat down and had a nice long talk but wouldn't say what about??

I don't see anything wrong with the article. When healthy' date=' he is far and away our best corner. And injuries are not something he has any control over.

It's up to the team to decide if he really is "oft-injured" or if last year was a hiccup.

And he was completely right to refuse a pay cut. The team was ballsy even to ask.[/quote']

correct me if im wrong, but didnt mark brunell take a pay cut? was it ballsy to ask him to do this as well?

I'm not a big fan of a guy who won't consider re-doing his deal to help the team out.

Plus, I'm firmly of the belief that Springs was the rat from last season which means he is lying through his teeth when he says he is low key, etc. Just makes him look like a douchebag.

Well, he did go about the whole rat thing from last year in a low key sort of way. :)

Put it this way...

None of this will matter as long as he's healthy all of next season. The minute he gets injured, I hope he gets booed off the field for being such an ******* about everything. Tired from staying up all night with the baby? That's cool, but don't demand the same amount of pay, because without any sleep you're gonna tear your ACL or something the first real season game. What is the front office supposed to do?

I've always thought he seemed full of himself. It seems that people like that tend to talk more loudly as they get older and slower.

The fact that you people are complaining about SS makes me embarassed to be a Redskins fan. The Redskins signed him to a contract and so they should pay him the money or cut him. It's that simple. Snyder and his people depend too much on veterans taking a paycut to get under the cap. Meanwhile, they should consider the consequences before signing older players to an end-loaded contract. -Football players are going to get hurt. I think it's just flat out stupid to say a player isn't good or not worth the money if they get hurt. I mean, this is the chance you take with every player. Blame it on Snyder, don't hate SS.

Shawn Springs is hardly ****y by the way, I've always seen him as more of a jokster. I mean he's as ****y as Portis, and Portis gets hurt a lot, so why don't we just cut him as well?

I don't know, you people just sound like irrational cowboys fans to me. SS is a quality corner when healthy. Don't get mad or call him ****y when he won't take a paycut or if he gets hurt.

He had better stay healthy his season. If he misses more than a game or two against an easy opponent, then he won't be worth his salary cap figure. And when he's playing, he had better play at the top of his game and intensity. We better not see him playing it safe or tackling poorly trying to avoid getting injured or any crap like that.

He's just too injured and thus, unreliable to warrant such a high cap number. I don't blame him for the injuries, but I also don't blame the team for wanting him to take a pay cut. Its the salary cap that screws us over. The only way we can sign free agents is by giving them high back-end loaded contracts to come play for us. If they don't live up to expectations we end up looking incompetent.

I wish the small market teams and owners in the NFL would quit their crying and put the salary cap at levels that don't screw teams over so much. Look at what Tennessee had to go through before last year beacause of salary-cap mismanagement. That's supposed to be good for football?

Football should be about the game and the players. I shouldn't have to be an economist to understand why teams can and can't do certain things. The salary cap also hurts loyalty - I like seeing great players stay on the same team - its good for the fans.

If we loose Cooley in any way because of the salary cap, I'm going to sh$% a brick!

Okay, that's it for today...:rant:

I officially hate Shawn Springs.

He obviously has his head so far in the clouds its horrid. Granted all he is doing is standing up for his contract which i do respect but the way he's handling shows he doesnt care about his role here or respect his coach enough to talk to him. Surely he lost his cell phone....my dog ate my homework garbage.

He is doing his own thing, is here cuz his contract says to be here...and thats about it.

Im shocked the Skins are putting up with this guy. He will be injured or claimed to be injured before October...u watch.

What a bum.

and he has every right to be bitter, i assumed he was in the first place. it cant feel good to know your team is trying to unload you.

Curious as to how do you reconcile this comment of yours with calling him a douche earlier for expressing this proposed "bitterness" in a relatively even-handed manner.

He has a right but he should be silent? I don't see all grown men agreeing with that, just some. Maybe you would be one, I don't know.

He wasn’t destructive by any standard I can see. I think a player can keep it real without Chappelleing :D the matter. I just don't see where Springs crossed any lines.

Archived