Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Springs Talks About Off-Season

jimster

"I don't know why they were talking about that anyway," Springs said of the move to safety. "Maybe they don't think I'm a good corner."

Everything else read fine. I don't know what this is all about, though.

I got the same reaction. Like he's still a tad bit touchy about anything the Redskins will say about it.

Should have cut him.

Wish they would have saved the money and sought a replacement. He is a great corner, but he is rarely on the field. He has that 'glass jaw' sydrome.

Hope he plays, but I seriously doubt it....no history of him being healthy for very long.

Get your facts straight.

Your first point makes no sense since they would have not been able to afford a replacement for Springs cue to the cap hit that would have come with cutting him.

Your second point is false. look at Springs game record:

Year Games played

97 10

98 16

99 16

00 16

01 8

02 15

03 12

04 15

05 15

06 9

I think he didn't start until week 7 his rookie season. He followed that up by not missing a game for 3 seasons. He had a serious injury(knee?) in '01, and then only missed 7 games over the following 4 seasons, finishing out the '05 season playing hurt.

Springs had a tough year last year, but he's certainly been able to stay on the field over his career.

Get your facts straight.

Your first point makes no sense since they would have not been able to afford a replacement for Springs cue to the cap hit that would have come with cutting him.

Your second point is false. look at Springs game record:

Year Games played

97 10

98 16

99 16

00 16

01 8

02 15

03 12

04 15

05 15

06 9

I think he didn't start until week 7 his rookie season. He followed that up by not missing a game for 3 seasons. He had a serious injury(knee?) in '01, and then only missed 7 games over the following 4 seasons, finishing out the '05 season playing hurt.

Springs had a tough year last year, but he's certainly been able to stay on the field over his career.

even though he hasnt played a full season in 6 years and hes coming off of 3 major injuries, some people still have confidence in this guy. hes just never at 100%. you can wish and hope all you want, but hes just not a healthy player. is he a solid to good CB when hes healthy? sure, hes had great seasons, 04 and 98, but hes never this #1 shutdown corner everyone thinks he is. ill go back to his stats, 2 picks over the past two seasons. thats not production from some game changing CB.

Danny signed the same contract as Springs. I don't blame SS one bit for wanting his pre-arranged payday. He knows he is entering the twilight of his career.

He can still contribute a lot to this team if he can stay healthy. Yes, he was hurt last year and is getting on a little, but I don't see him as particularly injury prone.

If he thinks he might be released or traded as some speculate, I can't blame him for skipping the voluntary stuff either. His future in the league will be drastically altered if he got hurt.

But I would like to see him talking up his team more, and leaving the TO talk behind. Must be those recessive puke genes up in him causing that.

even though he hasnt played a full season in 6 years and hes coming off of 3 major injuries, some people still have confidence in this guy. hes just never at 100%. you can wish and hope all you want, but hes just not a healthy player. is he a solid to good CB when hes healthy? sure, hes had great seasons, 04 and 98, but hes never this #1 shutdown corner everyone thinks he is. ill go back to his stats, 2 picks over the past two seasons. thats not production from some game changing CB.

I don't know what a shut down corner is anymore. Here's what I know, when the guy's on the field he makes the defense WAY, WAY BETTER. INTs does not a great corner back make. He's able to stay with guys longer meaning it takes more time for the QB to find the open receiver which means even our pathetic defensive line stands a chance at a sack.

Does anyone really want to go back to the Kenny Wright/Carlos Rodgers duo from last year?

This whole backlash against Springs is the classic Gibbs sycophants who think anyone that doesn't fall in line with whatever Gibbs and the rest of the organization is a traitor. This guy put his career at risk last year to get back on the field and help the struggling secondary. Cut the guy some slack.

even though he hasnt played a full season in 6 years...

pretty misleading statement considering he only missed 1 game in 3 of those 6 seasons and 4 games in another. Last year was the only year he couldn't stay on the field.

Some of you guys take this interview stuff way to seriously. There is nothing wrong with the position Springs has taken this offseason. All things considered, if the Redskins thought his injuries last season combined with his level of play on the field were enough to not justify his contract then they would have cut him loose. The fact that Springs called their bluff (which is exactly what I would have done in the same situation) and he is still on the team speaks volumes.

He is the best corner on our team and makes our defense much better when he's on the field which he has been for the vast majority of his career. Im happy he's here and, being a veteran and given his ability, I have no problem with him finishing his workout plan in Arizona or leaving to be with his newborn son.

Seems Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams agree with me at this point.

I agree. He's 32 with injuries during his career that include a torn ACL, sports hernia and a broken shoulder. His career is on the downside and he has the highest cap hit on the team. Shouldn't that be for the best player on the team? Springs is not that. Although he can make an impact with the blitz schemes on D and he is a safer bet to be left on an island compared with Rogers, he will not be viable after this coming year. Our cap is ok for now, let him go after this year.

Springs is a #1 corner....when healthy.

Many of you guys are right when criticizing Springs because of his struggle to stay healthy, but Springs is a stud when he is. Anyone watch the Carolina game last year when he went against Steve Smith??

Lets hope Springs has a very successful and healthy 2007-2008! :fingersx:

Archived