Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One thing it seems all of us are taking for granted

TSO

Gibbs, Saunders, and Williams are still here and trying to fix this thing.

Think about it. How many teams in the NFL would still have their Head Coach, Offensive coordinator, and Defensive coordinator all staying put to put together the championship team they know they can after a season like the one we had?

Isn't it great that Saunders, who could've easily landed a head coaching gig elsewhere, came here and is still here working on improving this offense without hinting in anyway that he'd leave if things don't go as planned? How about Gregg? He could've easily left us last year too, but he stayed. Our Defense fell off big time, but one season does not make or break a coach who has been known for great defenses.

I believe both of these guys could've still landed head coaching jobs elsewhere, even after the season we had. Remember, most of you who'll be finding something negative about what I'm saying here also fall under the belief that our organization is the laughing stock of the league, right? Then why would Gregg or Al be held accountable for not doing so well under our idiotic FO? They wouldn't, according to your logic.

I'm amazed by this, especially with how things go in the NFL these days. It is rare to see this kind of consistancy, especially when you have a team that went 5-11 the previous season. What this tells me is that our coaches are all on the same page. They all see what this team is capable of. They all believe. I think the players do too.

Let us not forget who we got drawing up our plays and schemes. Let us not forget they're led by a man who has gotten it done before, who knows how to get it done. Let us not forget that they're all still here, sticking together even though they have every excuse to disband. If we don't have the best season in 07, our teams' future still looks bright. We got the right leaders here. Leaders who won't quit when it gets tough.

As a fan, that's all I can ask for.

Saunders has only been here 1 year. How many coaches do you know that quit when they fail? I don't know of many. Usually coaches are fired. Williams and Saunders haven't exactly passed on any killer opportunities in staying here. Saunders has no desire to be a HC again, and Williams doesn't want to go to a team like Oakland or Houston

Saunders first year here..and many people on here AND others players (KC) that played for him says it takes a year or two to know his system, so no giving up on his system the first year. Williams is a great defensive coach, but injuries last year screwed things up. I do think Willaims will be next Head Coach for Skins, only after Coach Gibbs hangs it up...if we make the "palyoffs" this year (and we will) and next I don't think Coach Gibbs will stop after his 5 year contract is up!! But if "we" (Reskins) don't make the palyoffs this year then I think he's out, Williams is in and Saunders may be out.

I'd like to see where it's documented that Saunders or Williams could have had HC jobs after last season "if they wanted to".

Nobody was beating down Saunders' door when he was the OC of a great Chiefs offense, now all of a sudden teams would want him after a ho-hum debut in DC?

As for Williams, not only did his defense implode on the field but we started getting reports of fractures in team unity on his side of the ball by the end of the season which was a rap he got as HC of the Bills. I doubt anyone would have wanted him running their team.

It seems to me that it is you that is taking for granted the fact that here we are in year 4 for Gibbs and Williams and they are here "fixing" this mess. Shouldn't they (and we) be enjoying the fruits of their labors by now?

Think about it. How many teams in the NFL would still have their Head Coach, Offensive coordinator, and Defensive coordinator all staying put to put together the championship team they know they can after a season like the one we had?

Isn't it great that Saunders, who could've easily landed a head coaching gig elsewhere, came here and is still here working on improving this offense without hinting in anyway that he'd leave if things don't go as planned? How about Gregg? He could've easily left us last year too, but he stayed. Our Defense fell off big time, but one season does not make or break a coach who has been known for great defenses.

I believe both of these guys could've still landed head coaching jobs elsewhere, even after the season we had. Remember, most of you who'll be finding something negative about what I'm saying here also fall under the belief that our organization is the laughing stock of the league, right? Then why would Gregg or Al be held accountable for not doing so well under our idiotic FO? They wouldn't, according to your logic.

I'm amazed by this, especially with how things go in the NFL these days. It is rare to see this kind of consistancy, especially when you have a team that went 5-11 the previous season. What this tells me is that our coaches are all on the same page. They all see what this team is capable of. They all believe. I think the players do too.

Let us not forget who we got drawing up our plays and schemes. Let us not forget they're led by a man who has gotten it done before, who knows how to get it done. Let us not forget that they're all still here, sticking together even though they have every excuse to disband. If we don't have the best season in 07, our teams' future still looks bright. We got the right leaders here. Leaders who won't quit when it gets tough.

I believe we will go 11-5 and win the division!

As much as you give them props for come/staying here, money had to do whole lot with it. GW and AS both of them are getting paid more than lots of head coaches around the league. If I were in their position, I would do the same thing. Get the same or more pay and not have to worry about the entire team or press or trades or drafts as much.? Thats a no brainer to me. On the other hand, I am really happy with Saunders. He is great coach with excetional intelligence of the game. I hope he becomes the HC after Gibbs leaves. But this is the year when everything has to come together or everything just falls through. I predict a VERY major change almost everywhere in the team if we don't make the playoffs this year. But my personal expectation is SB :)

5-11....I got nothin' other than I hope at some point the gratification/results process begins from all of the "hard work". Results would be good here :) I mean, the Houston Texans work hard and have a gameplan too...just like the Patriots or the Colts but in the end we're all fruit.

HTTR

Edit---I kant sfell write

Except for Joe Gibbs It's all about money. Saunders and Williams each make more then most head coaches in the NFL and one of them will get Gibbs job in two years. As far the statements made around the sports world about our owner Mr. Dan and his side kick Vinny just look at the moves they have made the last three years and the draft picks we gave away. What would you say if it was your job to write something about these moves and the money paid out. Sometimes the truth hurts

Really?? Could've sworn I read in numerous articles that GW had that option. And using a quick google search, I came up with this reference from the Post:

"The Washington Redskins' assistant head coach for defense, the man who holds the option of being the next head coach when Joe Gibbs leaves, carries the scar left from those two words."

For the rest of the article, click here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/02/AR2007010201192.html

Can anyone prove he does or doesn't have that option? Shortly after his signing, it was definitely reported that he did by at least a few news agencies. Were they wrong? I don't know.

I've read it both ways on this board and I'd really like to know once and for all.

I'm not a Dan Snyder lover, but I think we have to give him credit too. He's opened up his pocketbook BIG TIME to make it real attractive for Williams and Saunders to come here/stay here. Plus, he's given Coach Joe free reign to do what he wants. Also, knowing that there's no way he'd ever fire JG, he's actually brought stability to the franchise, something that he hadn't done in years past.

Archived