Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Thomas Has Knee Scope, Out for Mini-Camp

TSO

I hope all these little injuries that keep coming out are just about us being cautious and NOT allowing anything to get to the season like last year. I just hope they're all as minor as they say.

Randy Thomas underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Wednesday morning. He is expected to sit out this weekend's mini-camp.

Thomas is expected to be fully healthy by the start of training camp in late July.

The procedure to clean out the knee was performed by Dr. Ray Thal at the Reston Surgery Center.

Thomas is coming off a strong season in which he started 16 games at right guard for the Redskins. The 8-year NFL veteran earned Quarterback Club Player of the Year honors in 2006.

As a unit, the offensive line helped produce the league's 4th-best ground game and yielded just 19 sacks.

Thomas was selected as the team's Ed Block Courage Award winner, given to a player who overcame an injury last year. Thomas had suffered a fractured fibula late in the 2005 season.

seems like the only time we hear about these types of procedures are when they happen to a star. makes me wonder if the skins don't publicize minor players getting similar treatments (because it's less news worthy) or if we simply have the horrible luck of only our good players getting these injurys while our depth remains healthy.

all of these "precautionary" surgeries bother me.

Yeah... I'm getting just a bit bothered by all this too. Hopefully it's truly as I claimed, that all of this is to just make sure we don't go into the season saying "We should've dealt with it then" like we did last year.

Thomas is one of my favorite players in the team. I really hope he gets well real soon. I have a good feeling about this season. I am glad all the injuries and stuff are happening BEFORE the season rather than the middle. I feel like we are getting all these "out of the way" now. On the other hand, now ESPN and everyone else will underestimate us even MORE and I love it.

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

June 13, 2007

WASHINGTON REDSKINS G RANDY THOMAS UNDERGOES

ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY ON RIGHT KNEE

Ashburn, VA - Washington Redskins guard Randy Thomas underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his right knee this morning. He is expected to be ready for when training camp opens in late July.

The procedure was performed by Dr. Ray Thal at the Reston Surgery Center.

jeez, so starts the foreshadowing of the decline of the the dirtbags. ;) i really hope thomas is a quick healer, what are we going to do with these nagging injuries, these guys need more vegetables and they need to stop eating so many damn turkey burgers at lindas. :D

I'd rather see that now then during the season. He's going to be an important piece to the line this year, I'd think he'd be pulling more often than last year with Dock gone. Not sure how Wade will do with that, I don't think it's something he's done much before.

After the Mini camp this week end they are done until Training Camp right? I hope so cuz these guys seem beat up already. I don't know who the trainer is but they need to start teaching these boys how to stretch and warm up properly. I know it wouldn't have made a difference for Thomas but I know a bunch of guys have been sitting out for muscle pulls.

seems like the only time we hear about these types of procedures are when they happen to a star. makes me wonder if the skins don't publicize minor players getting similar treatments (because it's less news worthy) or if we simply have the horrible luck of only our good players getting these injurys while our depth remains healthy.

all of these "precautionary" surgeries bother me.

The skins publicize this stuff on EVERY player, stars just get more bump from other media outlets, haters dancing (we do it too when it they're guys) and the gloomy guses. We also tend to remember when stuff like this happens to our key players and important acquisitions more than just a guy most think is just camp-fodder. Another reason is that at the NFL level, there's really not much tangible difference between the aces and the also-rans (except for the handful of freaks). Mostly the aces just push themselves harder, just have a higer pain threshold and are usually not whiners. They're more likely to play/practice hurt, try to comeback from an injury too soon, overwork themselves or ignore injury that maybe they shouldn't.

Archived