Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Msnbc Offseason Report!!!!!

geekrx

I Like a little bit of negativity. Keeps the media off our backs for a while. The Sleeper Redskins '07!!! I LOVE IT!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19076544/

Washington Redskins

Best move: The Redskins made an excellent draft choice in LSU safety LaRon Landry with the sixth pick overall. Landry should be a great cover man who can also deliver a knockout hit. Washington did not make a lot of significant moves during the offseason despite their status as the NFC East cellar-dweller last season. Landry has game-changing ability, but a rookie defensive back is not likely to turn things around unless his name is Ronnie Lott.

Worst move: While the Giants are afflicted with ball-and-chain coach Tom Coughlin, the Redskins have an even bigger impediment in owner Daniel Snyder. Little Napoleon wants to control the entire operation and he simply lacks the instincts and football knowledge to do anything but weigh his team down. The Redskins added decent players like linebacker London Fletcher (Buffalo), cornerback Fred Smoot (Minnesota) and offensive lineman Jason Fabini (Dallas), but the chemistry is not right. Grade: D

What you guys thinks?

I like this move. Thanks Vikings!!

Worst move: Losing cornerback Fred Smoot is not devastating, but it will hurt. Smoot understands coverage techniques and receiver tendencies. His awareness on the field will be missed.

I'm not so high on the drafting of LaRon. I still think we'll have a winning record though.

I agree, while I think he will be part of one of the best safety duos in the league, I still kinda wanted a d-lineman to put into our "homewrecker" defense.

The chemistry is not right?? He listed Smoot and Fletcher as 2 of the 3 offseason additions worth mentioning. Smoot STARTED in this system on this team just two seasons before this last one when this defense performed its best. Everybody in the locker room loves Smoot and his big mouth. Fletcher was the LEADING TACKLER in this defensive scheme with GW the entire time GW was in Buffalo and is a respected vetearn leader that can and will make all of the defensive calls. How can those players possibly be described as not fitting in with the chemistry of this team?

The chemistry is not right?? He listed Smoot and Fletcher as 2 of the 3 offseason additions worth mentioning. Smoot STARTED in this system on this team just two seasons before this last one when this defense performed its best. Everybody in the locker room loves Smoot and his big mouth. Fletcher was the LEADING TACKLER in this defensive scheme with GW the entire time GW was in Buffalo and is a respected vetearn leader that can and will make all of the defensive calls. How can those players possibly be described as not fitting in with the chemistry of this team?

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200510

:laugh:

Nailed it.

We couldn't have picked up two better guys for chemistry. A former Redskin who feels like he is "returning home" (Smoot) and a respected, intelligent, inspiring leader for a defense he is already familiar with and has excelled in (Fletcher).

QUICK, trade for Asante Samuel and Lance Briggs. They have better chemistry. With money.

These writers never go out on a limb unless a team makes a giant splash in free agency, a la the 49ers. You'll almost never get a journo to make such a bold prediction of a team going from 5-11 to 10-6 or thereabouts without any blatant reason to. It's why when a team like the Jets or the Saints makes such a drastic improvement, everyone is always so "shocked" and no journalist saw it coming. It's why the same teams are picked to do well every single year: the Panthers, the Cardinals, the Ravens, etc.

It's a bit ironic because the only way we'd gain any sort of legitimacy from some of these people is if we made a big-time move like bringing in Daunte Culpepper, even though it would clearly be a step back for this franchise. But of course, we'd also hear a lot more of the "Dan Snyder is pulling the strings, always going for the big free agent" type deal.

Nailed it.

We couldn't have picked up two better guys for chemistry. A former Redskin who feels like he is "returning home" (Smoot) and a respected, intelligent, inspiring leader for a defense he is already familiar with and has excelled in (Fletcher).

I think he means more than just the guys we signed this year. We still have Lloyd, 2 DB coaches that caused problems last year, and a DL that was horrid last year, even if it was Archuleta's fault, Springs with a possible bad attitude, a rook probably starting at SS, Gibbs and his Brunell mancrush, possible clash between Gibbs/Saunders if the offense doesn't kick ass, etc.

who knew there was a test? :doh:

This writer is a tool. He says our worst move in the offseason, has been having Dan Snyder as an owner.

Thats insane. We have had him since 99' or 00' whatev. but having an owner doesn't count as a bad move, it's not like we picked him up in free agency.

This has been a very good off season for the Redskins. We still have all but one of our draft picks for next year. We also (with our one pick in the first four rounds), may have drafted the best player on defense in this years draft. Our LB's could be the top three in the NFC East this season and we now have some good CB that can play man to man if necessary. We still have some questions along the DL and at DE but you can't fix everything at one time. Williams will still need to use his blitz packages again this season to support the pass rush but he should be able to stop the run.

On the other side of the ball, Saunders and Gibbs should be able to work things out between them on when to run or pass. We should be able to move the ball on the ground or in the air this season. They have had a full year to work on this offense and if Campbell is just half as good as he looked at times last year we should be fine. If we have some questions on offense going in to training camp, it is at WR. Teams still gave Moss and/or Cooley close coverage however, Lloyd was open a number of times but did not seem to understand the play that was called and often looked lost. With a year to work on Saunders system, Lloyd may turn out to be the WR we thought we got in free agency last season. We also have some new faces that could make the team at WR. Saunders and Gibbs may also try to get Randel El more involved in the offense this year as the 4th WR. With a full year to work on Saunders play book you never can tell what we may see in 2007.

As for Mr. Dan and our GM, I don't understand that remark at all. I don't think any owner wants to win as much as Dan.....

If I would be asked to rate our Redskin team at this point in time I would give them a B. However, I'm a Redskin fan that looks at the plus side of things and at the end of the season we will all know who made the proper evaluations....

Archived