Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW 2007 Preview: Redskins Go 7-9

Portis4President

Hopefully the QB rating proves to be to low after the season starts but then that will mean that the WRs are probably having a better year than their rating which is the scary part. I just dont believe ARE or Lloyd will develope into a legite No 2 AND Santana will have another healthy season. Both of those need to happen for us to have a good season.

Wow, I just came home from 7-11 and I read the entire article there...did anyone else notice the skins and ravens on the cover?

No, I seem to have the Dolphins and the Bucs on mine, :obvious: :hammer:

The "B" for the Offensive Line is complete speculation. If we would have resigned Dockey, I think you give us a A- heading into the season. But Snyder didn't re-sign Dock and let him walk just like we did with Ryan Clark, Fred Smoot, and Antonio Pierce. (Apparently big money contracts are only for players who are coming from other teams who suck; e.g., Arch, Lloyd, etc.).

So instead of re-signing Dock, we let him walk and lost out on Davis and the rest of the guards on the market. So we are going into the season with a spare Right Tackle being converted to starting guard. That is a HUGE question mark. And since the line is only good as its weakest link, I think a B might end up being generous. At best, I think we could hope for a B.

Not locking Dockery into a long term contract early in his career was a mistake by this franchise. And since our entire future depends on the development of Jason Campbell at qb, having a questionable guard jeopardizes that development.

Another disaster of a post by you my friend

Tell me why on earth you would have re-signed DD prior to the 2006 season? He had been an inconsistant average guard, and our 5th best o-lineman. He has a nice 6 game stretch to end the 2006 season and boom gets a big contract

You can read my posts going back to 2003. I hated his play every year he was a Redskins

Because I have an affliction known as NFL obsession, last night I checked out Barnes & Noble to look for NFL-related mags. Sure enough, Pro Football Weekly has already published its 2007 Preview.

The magazine has a write-up for each team, in which they grade each position category and guess a final 2007 record. They projected a 7-9 final standing for our Skins, third in the NFC East behind the Eagles and Cowboys.

Here are the various grades they gave us.

Quarterbacks: C+

Running Backs: A-

Receivers: C

Offensive Linemen: B

Defensive Lineman: C

Linebackers: B

Defensive Backs: B+

Special Teams: B+

Among the nice things they had to say:

"With the ball in Jason Campbell's hands from the outset and a fearsome 1-2 punch at running back, there is a genuine hope that the offense will succeed."

I think those grades are pretty generous. You?

None of them are generous except DL< everything else is too low except DBs is right... They should of at leas had 9-7, but my honets opnion is 10-6 or 11-5

The WR is about right considering how god-awful Lloyd was last year (he wasn't in the top 100 WRs in the NFL). We don't have a #2 WR. Moss needs to show he is healthy. We have no proven TEs behind Cooley. And past Moss, El and crappy Lloyd, we got nothing at WR. C seems pretty much dead on.

The B for the Offensive Line is complete speculation. If we would have resigned Dockey, I think you give us a A- heading into the season. But Snyder didn't re-sign Dock and let him walk just like we did with Ryan Clark, Fred Smoot, and Antonio Pierce. (Apparently big money contracts are only for players who are coming from other teams who suck; e.g., Arch, Lloyd, etc.).

So instead of re-signing Dock, we let him walk and lost out on Davis and the rest of the guards on the market. So we are going into the season with a spare Right Tackle being converted to starting guard. That is a HUGE question mark. And since the line is only good as its weakest link, I think a B might end up being generous. At best, I think we could hope for a B.

Not locking Dockery into a long term contract early in his career was a mistake by this franchise. And since our entire future depends on the development of Jason Campbell at qb, having a questionable guard jeopardizes that development.

Time for me to jump in on this.

Do you honestly believe that Dock deserved that fat contract? The answer is simply HELL NO!!! Now if it were Jansen, Thomas or Samuels then you would be able to spew this nonsense and people would agree with you. Dockery was probably the most expendable and Davis would have been a MAJOR downgrade. Wade will be fine.

I do agree that Lloyd stunk it up and Arch did not deserve his contract. Well, Arch AND his huge contract are gone and Lloyd seems to have turned the corner. To be completely honest, Lloyd deserves a second chance. If he cannot succeed in this system after being in it for 2 years then jump his sh**.

I also find it odd that no one has jumped Randle El's sh** for last year. Okay, so he scored on a runback and had a few more receptions than Lloyd, but, to be honest, he only had flashes where he looked like a threat to run a punt back and as a receiver he didn't really show me much of anything. Also, the fact that his "trick play" ability was BARELY utilized kinda urked me.

I can also trash Santana Moss for being a "flash in the pan" one year wonder. I can trash Portis for being a dumbass and getting hurt and saying stupid sh**. I can trash Taylor for being burned and looking more like Roy Williams last year than Sean Taylor. The fact of the matter is, this team was horrible last year and it wasn't a single player's fault. It was the fact that injuries and lack of execution hurt the team.

Initial indications are that our Skins have improved. How much have they improved, is still the question. PFW is playing it safe at a 2 game improvement. At this point, the 2 game improvement is a given, just for the simple fact of our offseason aquisitions and Portis being healthy for the season. Once they begin training camp and the Preseason and we see an improvement, you may see the pundits change their predictions to somwhere around 8-8 to 10-6.

why only an A- at RB? who has a better RB position than us? San diego? they might be the only ones.... the rest i agree with which makes me wondr why the guy went 7-9 besides how on earth can the eagles be past us? they have QB controversy..No Rb and they refuse to run the ball that doesnt even mention how old their D is. and the cowboyus im sure they have winning the division with a brand new coach(a confirmed loser) a bad o line (50 million on an Az washout) and the second(blow up the team ) year on the T O experiemnt. I see us 11-5 this year..easy :logo:

I agree the receiver grade is definitely too low. You gotta figure that Moss and Cooley alone would be worth a higher rating. The rest of the grades seem pretty fair. I think we get a C+ at QB just because Campbell really hasn't proven himself yet. We shall see...

Wow, I just came home from 7-11 and I read the entire article there...did anyone else notice the skins and ravens on the cover?

I'm pretty sure they put out regional covers.

I don't get how everyone thinks our receivers should be ranked higher than a "C".

2006 Stats

Player YDs TDs

Moss 790 6

Cooley 734 6

Betts 445 1

Lloyd 365 0

ARE 351 3

Does their production from last year look like they deserve anything higher? One WR over 400 yards. The backup RB (for most of the season) was the third leading receiver.

I don't get how everyone thinks our receivers should be ranked higher than a "C".

Dude, because we gave Lloyd and ARE those huge signing bonuses......so in the eyes of your typical Skins fan, they must be good! :laugh:

Having said that, Moss is a warrior. I forget how much we're paying him, but he's worth it.

Bitter a little bit? Dock got far far more then what he was worth. he got paid like a pro bowl lineman. He was only good because of bugel, Bugel makes everyone look like a pro, and if assistant coaches could get into the HoF, Buges would be in there definately.

I hope he will use these coaching skills to begin to develop new players during his second stint here. As far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be any young linemen waiting in the wings. This is pretty much the same line he inherited, with a few already-established additions.

We also raided the CFL, so we can now be called the winnepeg blueskins instead of the Jetskins...

Ok maybe not.

Anyways, the review was fair and the season hangs on the development of JC and the defense getting back to form. After that, with an easy schedule it's anyone's guess.

EVERYONE on the team needs to take it up a notch.

My prediction is 11-5 or better, last season there were 6 games that we lost by 7 pnts or less and think we would have won most of those if it wasnt for having a brand new offense and our defense just being plain out horrible.

This year however almost our entire offense has had 2 years of learning saunders offense and from what I hear thats about how long it takes to get his offense down.

Now for defense, with the addition of Fletcher, Smoot, and landry alone will in my oppinion will tremendoulsy help our defense with them alone. I think i read somewhere that GW is letting the defense go this year like they did in 05 too, think i read that in the thread were Wynn was posting about his car show and what not.

Anyway, i seriously feel this is our year...bash me if you want i dont care. I have confidence that things are going to go rly well this year.

Defensive Lineman MAY have been a bit high. They went with a very safe grade at QB, which is the smart thing to do with an unknown QB. If he succeeds, they can't be possibly be blamed for failing to recognize that, and if he fails, they can't be blamed for grading a QB with good upside too low.

All that separates us from 7-9 and 10-6 (or better) is Jason Campbell.

Thats true, my prediction had everything to do with all the good comments i've heard other players say about him this off-season, how much he's "noticabaly" improved. Especially on his release. Which was a big problem he had last year in my oppinion, now if he just gets that acuracy down :D

Well, I will agree with there rating for the most part, but the record I do not!

7-9 is probably a worst case scenario and that's not a terrible place to be. That usually means you are just luck away from a playoff team and considering the matter, that's about where you want to be in a crazy NFC.

Archived