Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW 2007 Preview: Redskins Go 7-9

Portis4President

Because I have an affliction known as NFL obsession, last night I checked out Barnes & Noble to look for NFL-related mags. Sure enough, Pro Football Weekly has already published its 2007 Preview.

The magazine has a write-up for each team, in which they grade each position category and guess a final 2007 record. They projected a 7-9 final standing for our Skins, third in the NFC East behind the Eagles and Cowboys.

Here are the various grades they gave us.

Quarterbacks: C+

Running Backs: A-

Receivers: C

Offensive Linemen: B

Defensive Lineman: C

Linebackers: B

Defensive Backs: B+

Special Teams: B+

Among the nice things they had to say:

"With the ball in Jason Campbell's hands from the outset and a fearsome 1-2 punch at running back, there is a genuine hope that the offense will succeed."

I think those grades are pretty generous. You?

Because I have an affliction known as NFL obsession, last night I checked out Barnes & Noble to look for NFL-related mags. Sure enough, Pro Football Weekly has already published its 2007 Preview.

The magazine has a write-up for each team, in which they grade each position category and guess a final 2007 record. They projected a 7-9 final standing for our Skins, third in the NFC East behind the Eagles and Cowboys.

"With the ball in Jason Campbell's hands from the outset and a fearsome 1-2 punch at running back, there is a genuine hope that the offense will succeed."

the receiver grade is too low, the defensive lineman grade is too high and the ol grade is too low.

QB is gonna be way better IMO, JC is gonna challenge for a pro bowl spot if he stays healthy. The WR's w/ Cooley inc. are at minimum a B, I say a B+. Special teams is a C+ and O-Line could squueze out a B+.

Those grades seem a little better than the record. I think our receivers are a B group, and the other two Cs are question marks because we've seen this defensive line succeed and there is a question of whether they can do it again. Jason Campbell hasn't proven anything yet, so a C+ is really just based on his experience and he really ranges from A-F. If Jason Campbell plays well our team will do well.

QB is gonna be way better IMO, JC is gonna challenge for a pro bowl spot if he stays healthy.

That's definitely coming from a homer. :cheers:

shouldnt this be coming out in like august? wtf.....

the receiver grade is too low, the defensive lineman grade is too high and the ol grade is too low.

The WR is about right considering how god-awful Lloyd was last year (he wasn't in the top 100 WRs in the NFL). We don't have a #2 WR. Moss needs to show he is healthy. We have no proven TEs behind Cooley. And past Moss, El and crappy Lloyd, we got nothing at WR. C seems pretty much dead on.

The "B" for the Offensive Line is complete speculation. If we would have resigned Dockey, I think you give us a A- heading into the season. But Snyder didn't re-sign Dock and let him walk just like we did with Ryan Clark, Fred Smoot, and Antonio Pierce. (Apparently big money contracts are only for players who are coming from other teams who suck; e.g., Arch, Lloyd, etc.).

So instead of re-signing Dock, we let him walk and lost out on Davis and the rest of the guards on the market. So we are going into the season with a spare Right Tackle being converted to starting guard. That is a HUGE question mark. And since the line is only good as its weakest link, I think a B might end up being generous. At best, I think we could hope for a B.

Not locking Dockery into a long term contract early in his career was a mistake by this franchise. And since our entire future depends on the development of Jason Campbell at qb, having a questionable guard jeopardizes that development.

Gosh, the 2007 Preview is out already? ...Maybbe PFW should stand for Premature Football Weekly!!

I know it's a business, but these magazines should hold off releasing their pubilcations evaluating the 2007 NFL teams at least until after the June cuts and trades. There will be some significant movement at that time. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if at that time we have some new Redskins in the fold -- some with an impact on our rosters.

My Comments on 2007 Redskins Win-Loss and Grades: :koolaid:The season will fall somewhere between 9-7 and 11-5. Maybe it's the Kool-Aid, but I'm feeling a lot more positive about this year's offensive success. and that should help the defense be better, because the fewer 3-and-outs by the offense will keep the D-line fresher. Also, we've got more familiarity ... uhh. with the plays, and . . . uhhh ... depth at key positions and ... .uhhh. . OMG, my legs are going numb!! ...:thud:

I think Campbell will surprise a few folks (and this is coming from someone who was not a big fan of his.). In 2007 our RBs will be regarded as a top-notch tandem. I think our WRs are going to look much better than they did in 2006. The O-line's grade is about right, considering it's still in transition.

All the defensive grades are premature -- much depends on what we do at D-line and Linebacker. If we don't do anything to improve, then those grades are close enough, but optimistic. I strongly suspect we will be upgrading our D-line in the next month or two.

The special teams are more like a B than a B+. Frost makes me nervous.:doh: And Suisham is still too new for anyone to have a reliable sense of how good he actually is.

QB is gonna be way better IMO, JC is gonna challenge for a pro bowl spot if he stays healthy. The WR's w/ Cooley inc. are at minimum a B, I say a B+. Special teams is a C+ and O-Line could squueze out a B+.
I don't know what you are basing your opinion on JC's probowl spot on, but I hope you are right.

I agree that our WR corp recieved a grade that was too low. But I disagree with your grade on our teams and agree with theirs. SP's was the best and most consistant part of our football team last season.

The WR is about right considering how god-awful Lloyd was last year (he wasn't in the top 100 WRs in the NFL). We don't have a #2 WR. Moss needs to show he is healthy. We have no proven TEs behind Cooley. And past Moss, El and crappy Lloyd, we got nothing at WR. C seems pretty much dead on.

The "B" for the Offensive Line is complete speculation. If we would have resigned Dockey, I think you give us a A- heading into the season. But Snyder didn't re-sign Dock and let him walk just like we did with Ryan Clark, Fred Smoot, and Antonio Pierce. (Apparently big money contracts are only for players who are coming from other teams who suck; e.g., Arch, Lloyd, etc.).

So instead of re-signing Dock, we let him walk and lost out on Davis and the rest of the guards on the market. So we are going into the season with a spare Right Tackle being converted to starting guard. That is a HUGE question mark. And since the line is only good as its weakest link, I think a B might end up being generous. At best, I think we could hope for a B.

Not locking Dockery into a long term contract early in his career was a mistake by this franchise. And since our entire future depends on the development of Jason Campbell at qb, having a questionable guard jeopardizes that development.

Bitter a little bit? Dock got far far more then what he was worth. he got paid like a pro bowl lineman. He was only good because of bugel, Bugel makes everyone look like a pro, and if assistant coaches could get into the HoF, Buges would be in there definately.

Wow, I just came home from 7-11 and I read the entire article there...did anyone else notice the skins and ravens on the cover?

They seemd to be on point IMO, other than maybe a grade too low for 1-2 things, but overall very fair and mentioned that our offensive MVP would be portis, and our defensive MVP would be Fletcher...

decent grades but i think QB at a c+ will prove to be too low by the end of the season. Skins will be better then 7-9

I agree and hope we are both right. I think the team goes a JC goes this year. If he turns out to rate a grade of "B" or higher (which I hope and think he will) and we avoid major injuries this year I see no reason we cannot shock the unbelievers and win the division this year. :helmet:

Archived