Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Torrent stuff.

Art

Ok. So, I downloaded something from Demonoid into Azureus. Now, if I want to be a "seeder" do I just leave it go? I see in my library and in advanced settings that it appears to be seeded and I assume the tracker is such that it simply makes me a seeder within Demonoid, but, I don't know. I would have thought I had to upload it there, but when I looked, it didn't appear I could "join" a seed, but create my own.

I have a long way to go on this stuff.

Yes....when you have the completed file, you automatically become a seeder. It's generally a rule of thumb that to maintain the torrent for the community, that you get your upload/download ratio to 1:1 or better.

I'll also throw my vote into uTorrent. I've also tried BitComet, BitTornado, & Azureus and I get the best speeds from uTorrent.

Why would the crew here not have its own torrent site that is private? It seems there are enough of us we could do well in our own private club for some things. And, I'll download utorrent now and compare.

That's a great idea. We have a large base of t computer saavy people with **** tons of media files (and others types too) to share among ourselves.

I'll be a good Torrent community friend :).

Right now I'm at 10 percent uploaded to downloaded. Will try utorrent today as Azureus is pissing me off. For a while I was getting a yellow health icon telling me my firewall was wrong. I opened it up to the port Azuereus is using, evening making it my top firewall rule. Still yellow. So, I made a program based rule saying, hell, just let Azureus do whatever it wants and log it. That made my icon green and it still is green. But, I keep getting the "Too many successive failure occurred on port XXXXX, UDP -- processing abandoned. Please check firewall settings for this port to ensure it is enabled for receiving connections."

Not only is it in the firewall, but it's in my router to forward directly and, it shows as open when I do an internet look. So, maybe utorrent won't piss me off :).

That's a great idea. We have a large base of t computer saavy people with **** tons of media files (and others types too) to share among ourselves.

Well, the thing about torrents is that you're banking on a large number of people seeding files. When you go with a really small group, you lose most of those advantages.

If you guys want to do that, we might be better off doing something like a Direct Connect Hub.

I figured we would have a fairly large community, but the number of people actually participating would probably be a tiny fraction. Either way I think some form of high speed file sharing on ES (or by the ES community separate from ES.com) is a good idea.

I use Azureus and Demonoid. Demonoid is amazing. You have to register, and make sure you keep a nice upload to download ratio(at least 2:1 should be sufficient)otherwise you might get banned. It's only to make sure people don't leech. :)

I don't download many files at once. 1, maybe 2 at a time. My speeds depend on how many seeds but I can usually pop 100+ kbs no problem.

If you're having an issue Art(or anyone else)with the health of your downloads(the smiley face), just go here:

http://portforward.com/

I don't know if anyone beforehand has mentioned it(didn't feel like reading 3 pages worth of crap I already know about ;))but that site helps you big on fixing your ports.

yea, i don't know how to fully use newgroups-- otherwise i would have signed up for one of those unlimited bandwidth per month deals... there used to be a search engine for newsgroups that showed what directory all the good stuff was at... anyone know of that search engine?

any file you download has the potential to be dangerous (viruses or spyware).

I have a question though. How do you seed your own torrent that you post on a site??

My main problem comes when I try to seed it. I creat a torrent, I use the sites tracker that they offer and it uploads great, says that it is seeding, but it never shows on the site that I have seeded the torrent. I have left my computer on for 2 days while seeding and nothing. I can never get my torrent to seed. any suggestions. I know about the port forwarding thing and that is perfect.

I figured we would have a fairly large community, but the number of people actually participating would probably be a tiny fraction. Either way I think some form of high speed file sharing on ES (or by the ES community separate from ES.com) is a good idea.

I've often wondered if there was a safe way to share the 400+ Redskins game collection (from 70's to the present) I have with other fans. Intriguing idea.

I have a question though. How do you seed your own torrent that you post on a site??

My main problem comes when I try to seed it. I creat a torrent, I use the sites tracker that they offer and it uploads great, says that it is seeding, but it never shows on the site that I have seeded the torrent. I have left my computer on for 2 days while seeding and nothing. I can never get my torrent to seed. any suggestions. I know about the port forwarding thing and that is perfect.

If no one is downloading from you, you're not going to seed.

I use utorrent....

I'm afriad torrents going into the mainstream is going to only make them crack down harder on people.... perhaps ISPs might even ban torrents in the future?

They've been in the maisntream for quite some time now. It's significantly harder to track down individual bit torrent users than it is p2p users just by the simple nature of how torrents work. ISPs also won't ban torrents outright because they do have a very practical, legal purpose (even more so than traditional p2p programs did).

Be careful when downloading HBO materials. My hallmate at college got his internet access taken away after HBO contacted the college with information on his downloading, using torrents. All he downloaded was a few Entourage episodes.

HBO is tracking its files, so beware

The best is still News groups. :) A lot safer and a lot faster. :)

:applause:

I second this... especially if you go with a paid service such as giganews. Your ISP probably has a free news server, but they most likely do not have the retention time you can get from a pay server. Places like giganews normally has a very long retention time for files posted to the newsgroup and you're not obligated to upload to anyone else.

I know that the scene would not thrive if it wasn't for sharing, but torrents are just as susceptible to the **AA as file sharing programs such as Limewire, Morpheus, BearShare, etc.

I also recommend uTorrent as well. I've tried a lot of them, and uTorrent was by far the least bloated bittorrent client.

Good luck, Art. :)

Archived