Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis trade Confessions

BALLz

if anyone was tradeable it was betts. dude is a fumble machine that cannot find the endzone, and has no breakaway speed. portis will be back in full effect, and when hes on hes a complete monster. our offense is going to be very good this year. D is still a concern.

I agree. Its scary how people forget that Portis, who is the Redskin's single season rushing recordholder, is awesome and shouldn't be traded. :doh:

I loved those teams as well. But it sounds like you absolutely hate and despise this team. What makes you a fan? You hate the players and hate the ownership? So what do you like? The uniform for the history it represents? I'm sick of losing as much as anyone. But i'll still support the players, coaches and owners that currently are the Redskins. The past is gone.

Some of the players that I am happy are on the team that we need more like:

Jason Campbell (I pray he got better and can look like the answer).

Betts

Rock

Sellers

Cooley

Samuels

Jansen

Golston

Smoot

Washington

Some of the players that I would happily part with to improve the franchise because they aren't worth what they are paid or behave in a way to tarnish the pride of the team:

Lloyd

Portis

Taylor

Rogers

Springs

Daniels

Wynn

Some players that I can warm too if they play and act in a way to bring pride to the team:

Randle El

Landry

Carter

Fletcher

I don't hate this team or all its players; in fact, I think you can dismantle this team and build around JC. But I really despise the current ownership and lack of direction of this team. I am embarassed of how some of our players act and that Joe allows it. I am sure if my uncle was still here, that he would be saying the same thing about the current state of the team.

If you want to know what makes me a fan, here is the story:

Growing up as a kid in Lexington, VA, my parents were huge Dallas Cowboys fans. To this day my dad is a fan. He used to put in little Roger Staubach uniforms and tell me how Roger was the greatest there ever was. He thought I should be a diehard Cowboys fan. That never took.

I remember the day I defied my father and became a Skins fan. It was in the middle of winter and the snow was pouring down. My favorite uncle fell ill; another victim of cancer. My parents took me to the hospital to say goodbye to him. I walked down the halls clutched to my father's leg. I didn't want to go into the room where he was. This was my all-time favorite uncle and my hero. I couldn't stand to see him sick. He was my Superman, and Superman can't be hurt. But I went in.

As I walked into the room, I saw my uncle with all kinds of tubes going into him. He could still talk, though. He comforted me and told me to sit down. We talked for what seemed like a lifetime. By the end, he had me smiling. Always the great man, he was more concerned with my comfort than his. He didn't want to talk about illness and goodbyes, so we talked about football. My uncle told me how he was always a Redskins fan, and how my dad was a confused lost soul. He told me about his love for the team and how when the team was proud, he felt more pride in his life.

After we talked a while, he told me that he needed to say goodbye. As I began to breakdown, he told me to not get sad for him. I couldn't help it. He then told me he had a goodbye gift for me in a bag in his closet area in that hospital room. He told me to go get it. Inside was his favorite possession: a signed Sonny jersey. He told me that he wanted me to have it. But he made me promise him that I would only keep it if I was Skins fan and wore it with pride in the team. Through my tears I said I would. He then made me laugh by saying that I had to watch every Skins game because he would be right there beside me and wanted to see them play. Then he told me that while I am beside him, if the Cowboys were on the TV, he would come back to get his Sonny jersey back. He brought a smile to my face.

He began to fade, so my parents came in and told me that I needed to go. I gave him a hug and told him goodbye. I would never see him alive again. But before I left that room, he asked for one last thing which I did for him. So I was leaving, I walked over to the window in the room which had become foggy due to the snowy weather outside and heat inside. And on that foggy window I left with my finger a final message for and from my uncle.

I have been a Redskins fan ever since and always will be. I want them to be great for my uncle's sake as he watches each game with me. And whenever I get down on them, I just think back to that foggy window that my uncle looked at while he passed this earth and remember that final message written by my own fingers for my uncle..... HTTR.

Betts

Rock

Sellers

Cooley (love the guy but I hate the way people put this guy on a pedestal. He's got a great a personality and he's down to earth. But he also messed with some cheerleaders, both of whom got kicked off the squad while he got off scot free and tends to get drunk in public (See Draft Party and how he slurred his words on the mic). And since when has Cooley been put in the same sentence as Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates or Algae Crumpler? If your going to be FAIR then it has to be an equal playing field. I love Cooley and is a great at his role but I hate it when people say they love Cooley but could do without Portis :wtf:And don't give me the performance-based argument until Cooley puts up some record setting season numbers)

Samuels

Jansen

Golston

Smoot

Washington

Some of the players that I would happily part with to improve the franchise because they aren't worth what they are paid or behave in a way to tarnish the pride of the team:

Lloyd

Portis:wtf: (holds the single season rushing record and has no off-the-field issues)

Taylor:doh: (made a mistake as a 21 year old and an on-field mistake as a 22 year old but has not gotten into trouble since, led the team in tackles last year and went to the Pro Bowl as a maturing 24 year old father of one)

Rogers

Springs

Daniels

Wynn

Well thank goodness you don't get to pick who plays for this team.....oh and great story.:yawnee: I love all my Redskins despite their differences in personality or race.:2cents: HTTR!:helmet:

Betts

Rock

Sellers

Cooley

Samuels

Jansen

Golston

Smoot

Washington

Lloyd

Portis

Taylor

Rogers

Springs

Daniels

Wynn

Some players that I can warm too if they play and act in a way to bring pride to the team:

Randle El

Landry

Carter

Fletcher

So Portis is tarnishing the team, but we need more guys like Smoot? The same Smoot who left town for two million more instead of sacrificing to stay a part of the 2004 Defense he praises to this day? The same Smoot involved in the boat scandal with the Vikings?

I don't have a problem with Smoot, I am glad he's back on the team. But some of the things Smooty has done are a much bigger blemish, and certainly don't bring pride to anything.

Betts

Rock

Sellers

Cooley

Samuels

Jansen

Golston

Smoot

Washington

Lloyd

Portis

Taylor

Rogers

Springs

Daniels

Wynn

Randle El

Landry

Carter

Fletcher

how do you have portis on that list. portis is the leader and soul of this team. i cannot deal with people who think portis is replaceable. i strongly believe he is much better than betts and should already have the starting job in his hand. how does clinton portis tarnish the team???!!!

if anyone was tradeable it was betts. dude is a fumble machine that cannot find the endzone, and has no breakaway speed. portis will be back in full effect, and when hes on hes a complete monster. our offense is going to be very good this year. D is still a concern.

What irks me the most is that the fumbling is something he could correct if he would just acknowledge that he has a problem. If you watch tapes of him run or find still photos of him running the ball, check out how he is cradling the ball. He never splits the point. Not even that, he never has his had anywhere near the point of the ball. There was an interview conducted last year where one of his many fumbles came into question, particularly this one b/c it had just cost us a game, and he said he doesn't have a fumbling issue. That stuff happens. That was his answer.

Betts might have produced during the end of last season, but he has yet to earn my respect and be viewed by me as the starting caliber back that he thinks he is.

I have still yet to forgive him for rolling into Randy Thomas' leg. No one pushed/tackled him. He just fell onto Thomas.

You don't need to compare him to other people and other circumstances to see he is a system back.

Compare him to himself:

2002 Den 273 carries for 1578 yards, 5.5 ypc 15 TDs

2003 Den 290 carries for 1591 yards, 5.5 ypc 14 TDs

2004 Was 343 carries for 1315 yards, 3.8 ypc 5 TDs

2005 Was 352 carries for 1516 yards, 4.3 ypc 11 TDs

2006 Was 127 carries for 523 yards, 4.1 ypc 7 TDs

Look at the change from 2003 to 2004.

His carries jumped by 50 carries and his yards fell by 280 yards. His TDs fell from 14-5. The next season he carries it even more times, and he still couldn't match his production in Denver.

Average ypc in Denver: 5.5

Average ypc in Washington: 4.08

Average carry/TD carry in Denver: 19.4

Average carry/TD in Washington: 36.2

Denver: 563 carries, 29 TDs

Washington: 822 carries, 23 TDs.

Notice a drastic fall in production?

In any other situation that might be a valid argument, but it doesn't apply to Denver. The fact that Portis put up such good numbers at Denver and then was able to come to Washington to break the single season rushing record is a testament to Portis' skill, not that he is a system back. Take a look at Droughns' and Anderson's from when they were running the ball for Denver, then compare them to what they did with their other teams. That should make my case for you. Denver makes any running back look good. Watch what happens to Tatum Bell's numbers this coming season.

Also, everyone knows a running back doesn't do it by himself. By your argument, Edgerrin James is not a great back, he's only a system back. I think you might have some detractors.

Until I see something in terms of lack of production or speed something of that nature, The redskins should keep him. The only way the redskins should trade is if they get something absolutely rediculous for him in trade.

Having both backs is important. Nowadays you see two back systems, it will allow us to keep Portis fresh and allow Ladell to run the ball down teams throats. In addition, having the quality of Betts in the backfield as a second tailback will keep the defense honest.

Having both backs is important. Nowadays you see two back systems, it will allow us to keep Portis fresh and allow Ladell to run the ball down teams throats. In addition, having the quality of Betts in the backfield as a second tailback will keep the defense honest.

Having both backs is important.

Having Portis is most important by a mile, though. Betts a distant second, easily filled with blaylock, sellers, and especially Da Rock

Boy don't I look prescient saying this stuff the week before Clinton's current stupidity:

That's what I believe based purely on on-the-field player management issues. But in addition to that, I'd trade Portis because I am tired of his act and embarassed that he is considered the face of this franchise. Betts is a homegrown Redskin that is someone this franchise should be proud of from a character perspective. Portis is a loud-mouth U guy who is always talking about how great he is and what he is going to do, but he never does it. And this recent comment from him that he is going to do more of that stupid interview nonsense "just to piss off the haters" really disgusts me. Screw Portis. Portis is about Portis. His statement that he would restructure (which has nothing to do with him losing money or giving anything up) doesn't make it otherwise.

And by doesn't elkabong look like he has his foot in his mouth for all of his defense of CP as a quality team leader:

Nothing CP said then destroyed the team, and nothing he has said since has destroyed the team. For the one negative you point out, I'd like to point out the numerous times CP has been positive about this team, about Gibbs, about the receivers, about Campbell.

CP is a leader, whether you want to admit it or not.... solely because I see CP as a team leader, as does most everyone here.

I stated CP was a team leader, which he is.

Yeah. Such a team leader. What a face to the franchise.

CP is an embarrassment and a punk, and its ironic that he goes out and proves it less than a week after people in this thread defend him and chastise me to no end for suggesting that.

Nowadays people would ask for Riggo to be traded after a game or 2 of quality starts.

Dont listen to CP trade speculation.....Would the Bolts part with LT...even with Turner?

The Skins wont part with CP.

They have built around him.

Boy don't I look prescient saying this stuff the week before Clinton's current stupidity:

And by doesn't elkabong look like he has his foot in his mouth for all of his defense of CP as a quality team leader:

Yeah. Such a team leader. What a face to the franchise.

CP is an embarrassment and a punk, and its ironic that he goes out and proves it less than a week after people in this thread defend him and chastise me to no end for suggesting that.

Ya not everyone cares about portis making a joke on tv. you sir are the punk.

find a new team to like because u surely dont like this one, maybe the in the past but not the present. you talk more trash about this team then cowboy fans i know

You're really reaching if you think this somehow validates your position on CP.

Portis has said some dumb things. I can understand if you consider his outfits to be silly and childish. If you think he's the team fool/court jester, you may be accurate. But so what? I don't think that makes him a bad teammate. He's not a divisive force like Arrington attempted to be. He's just a clown. Arrington also seemed to have impeccably bad timing too. At least Portis seems to know when to shelve the whole clown act.

The only comment I had a problem with was when he insinuated that he shouldn't be used in preseason. It came off like he was above it all. Tomlinson hardly touches the ball in preseason and for good reason. I could care less if they treated CP the same and he didn't get a carry until September. I just think that's a conversation for behind closed doors. Last year's whining about preseason made him look selfish and attempted to indict the coaching staff for "misuse." That's the kind of crap we don't need.

All the rest is just Portis being Portis. He's never even come close to getting in trouble and players seem to like him. He's also balls out 100% when on the field. He's an unconventional leader but he is a leader whether you like it or not. Oh, and did I mention that Gibbs adores him? That counts for something in my book.

Portis is definately going to be our scoring machine more than Betts. Don't get me wrong, Betts will probably pile up around 800 yards rushing with Portis breakinga 1,000, but I think Portis will have around 10 TDs and Betts will have 3 TDs. So trading Portis would be a big mistake for our future.

Archived