Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis trade Confessions

BALLz

For the most part we are all excited to know Portis will be back and 100% healthy at the begining of the year. He's making bold prediction and seems excited about the potential the offence is showing. But I must confess, at the end of this past year I thought it would be a good idea to trade Portis for some draft picks or a stud player. Betts was tearing it up and running the ball down deffences throats. I quickly forgot about the Skins rushing record he had broken and that despite an injured sholder managed 7 tds in 7 games. I am ashamed that I allowed such thoughts to go through my mind. I firmly believe now that we have a chance to get to the playoffs and that Portis can help us get there. I ask forgiveness and was just wondering if anyone was willing to join me in this confession.

if anyone was tradeable it was betts. dude is a fumble machine that cannot find the endzone, and has no breakaway speed. portis will be back in full effect, and when hes on hes a complete monster. our offense is going to be very good this year. D is still a concern.

so was tikki for the first part of his career. maybe Betts will hold the ball differently and it wont be a problem for him anymore

Im of the opinion that anyone who is up for trading Portis, or Betts being our #1, needs to watch certain games, such as the second Dallas game last season.

After that, theres no more debate. Betts is great, dont get me wrong, ive always thought hes been great(even before his "breakout"), but CP is CP. Betts can never be the home run hitter Portis is. In that Dallas game, watch him take a simple weakside pitch, 40+ yards out, without blockers, and just freakin out run everyone. Betts, like CP, is great between the tackles, but he just doesnt have that home-run ability CP has.

I wasn't for trading Portis because we couldn't get anything for him. Who's really going to trade a "stud" player or significant draft picks for a RB who missed half the season last year?

IF you could really get a player that upgrades your team for Portis, then you make the trade. Anytime you can upgrade your team you do it. RBs are a dime a dozen. I think everyone on here would trade Portis for Peyton, Brady, LT, and maybe Merriman (and I'm sure there are many other scenarios where people would trade Portis). But of course, that's not happening.

Hail,

H

if anyone was tradeable it was betts. dude is a fumble machine that cannot find the endzone, and has no breakaway speed. portis will be back in full effect, and when hes on hes a complete monster. our offense is going to be very good this year. D is still a concern.

I concur with everything you said. I mean i like Betts but Portis is the heart and soul of this team. He is a leader and knows how to get the fans and the players to believe in this team. And that is a trait that i dont think Betts has.

You are forgiven my son. Keep in mind that this era of football features defensive monsters with freakish physical ability. Players are bigger, faster, stronger, and hit much harder. Having two backs to split the load (and the damage) is not just a good idea anymore, but rather a requirement. By 2010, you can expect nearly every backfield to be some form of a two-headed monster.

And besides, in my humble opinion, the only way one can build a dynasty is have a player of Betts' caliber backing up every position. We should be able to start 40 or 42 different guys throughout the year and still win a Super Bowl. Depth = consistency. Consistency = confidence. Confidence = expectation. Then, instead of hoping to go the playoffs, we expect it. Not just us, but the team. That's when we return to dominance, when there's not a thread of doubt in anyone's mind. One injury at any one position doesn't derail a dynasty. Maybe at the QB position, but even Philly made a run with their backup after everyone put a fork in them.

For the most part we are all excited to know Portis will be back and 100% healthy at the begining of the year. He's making bold prediction and seems excited about the potential the offence is showing. But I must confess, at the end of this past year I thought it would be a good idea to trade Portis for some draft picks or a stud player. Betts was tearing it up and running the ball down deffences throats. I quickly forgot about the Skins rushing record he had broken and that despite an injured sholder managed 7 tds in 7 games. I am ashamed that I allowed such thoughts to go through my mind. I firmly believe now that we have a chance to get to the playoffs and that Portis can help us get there. I ask forgiveness and was just wondering if anyone was willing to join me in this confession.

Portis is also a much better pass blocker and, except for last year, far less injury prone.

tiki has speed and vision, something betts lacks which is why he isnt a starter.

Yeah different running backs. Betts is a machine that fumbles at the worst times. In the NO game, all he had to do was hold onto the ball, that's all. He couldn't do that. Scares me everytime he gets the ball. When he breaks away, I just pray he goes down with the ball.

great post man, good to see you admitted your brief moment of ignorance and have moved on

you can never question Portis' ability or heart if you watched the '05 season

I love Betts, but I don't see how anyone could compare him to Portis who played 18 games straight for us in '05 and broke a franchise record in rushing yards

Guess I'll actually make a relevant post though.

Trading portis is one of the dumbest things we coulda done. No matter how well Betts did at the end of last season he is not the complete back that Portis is. He's also a year older. Add that to the fact that portis is a fantastic blocker in pass protection or down the field for screens. Add that to his leadership, ability to motivate the team, and Southeast Jerome. Other teams wouldn't be willing to give up what it would take for us to trade him away.

Our O-line started comming together last year... that had more to do with Betts' production than Betts himself.

But all of this is moot since you already admitted your mistake. Kudos 2 you.

:applause: :cheers: :applause: :cheers:

I thought trading Portis is a good idea, and I still think it is a good idea. If you want to avoid getting swept up in transitory thoughts, then you should avoid getting swept in off-season championship dreams and remember what you were seeing when the games were being played.

Portis is not a top 5 back. The numbers prove it. Since he has been here, he has been around the 10th rated RB in the NFL. He is not the monster everyone wants to belive. He was that monster in the Denver system, but he is not in that system anymore.

He is better than Betts. But not appreciably better than Betts.

When you have lots of holes on a team, you have to try to fill them by getting rid of luxuries to get necessities. Right now, Portis is a luxury. Betts is good enough to be a playoff contender with. Thus, the extent to which Portis is better than Betts is a mere luxury.

We can trade Portis and hope to get some help on the DL or OL. Maybe get a decent draft pick for him that we can turn into a starter on the DL or OL.

It's pretty simple math: if Portis is X better than Betts, and by trading Portis you can get Y better at DE, then you do it if X < Y. Or, if you are a Madden person, as so many on here appear to be, assume Portis is a 90, Betts an 84. By trading Portis, you can get a 82 DE to replace 72 Daniels [all numbers were completely pulled out of the air to prove the point about improving elsewhere]. I would do that trade. This is about building a better team across the board so we can compete for championships. This isn't about getting star worship.

Now I wouldn't do this is Portis was special. You don't trade LT no matter how many other position you can improve. But Portis is NOT special. And his performance here in Washington shows that (you can't count his performance in Denver when determining his value to this team--you only look at what he has done with this team). He is very good, but not special. Betts is good, too. While Portis is a little better, you can still win with Betts.

That's what I believe based purely on on-the-field player management issues. But in addition to that, I'd trade Portis because I am tired of his act and embarassed that he is considered the face of this franchise. Betts is a homegrown Redskin that is someone this franchise should be proud of from a character perspective. Portis is a loud-mouth U guy who is always talking about how great he is and what he is going to do, but he never does it. And this recent comment from him that he is going to do more of that stupid interview nonsense "just to piss off the haters" really disgusts me. Screw Portis. Portis is about Portis. His statement that he would restructure (which has nothing to do with him losing money or giving anything up) doesn't make it otherwise.

On the field, I'd trade Portis and go with Betts if you can improve other areas needed for improvement. Getting rid of Portis and his antics off the field would merely be an added benefit.

I agree betts can fumble alot, but i also recall atleast one or two plays where it was do to how he was holding the ball, so im sure they are working on that now. And snydermustgo is crazy. Portis is not a "luxury" he is an excellent player and together with Betts we will have amazing power at RB this year. Trade portis, haha

:cheers:

Archived