Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis trade Confessions

BALLz

Girlie Man. You had a great idea. Trade Portis, Lloyd and a mid rounder next season for CJ, and keep our 1st round 6th pick for Landry.

Then we would have had a crazy offense. Now, we still have no #2 receiving threat. Teams will just bring the blitz on our green quarterback.

Betts up the middle, CJ on one side, Moss on the other....and Cooley down the middle of the field.

But such intelligent decisions are too much to ask of this FO currently.

Wow, a naysayer calling themselves out. You have earned my forgiveness, if it means anything. I wish the "Carter is a bust" "Gibbs has lost it" "The Skins will never win under Dan Snyder, eventhough they already have in 1999 and 2005, oh well I chalk it up as a fluke so I don't look too stupid, eventhough I already am and do" people would be able to recognize their faults and own up. Wishful thinking though.

I think Portis is set up to have a probowl year (like in '05, CP should have gone over Dunn) with our o-line performing greatly, the opposing defense having to worry about Moss, Cooley, or JC taking off, and the fact that CP will have a good back-up to spell him. Here's hoping to CP going over 1600 yards in '07!

For the most part we are all excited to know Portis will be back and 100% healthy at the begining of the year. He's making bold prediction and seems excited about the potential the offence is showing. But I must confess, at the end of this past year I thought it would be a good idea to trade Portis for some draft picks or a stud player. Betts was tearing it up and running the ball down deffences throats. I quickly forgot about the Skins rushing record he had broken and that despite an injured sholder managed 7 tds in 7 games. I am ashamed that I allowed such thoughts to go through my mind. I firmly believe now that we have a chance to get to the playoffs and that Portis can help us get there. I ask forgiveness and was just wondering if anyone was willing to join me in this confession.

However, your status is still in limbo and can only be redeemed if you kiss Clinton's jockstrap. :laugh:

Girlie Man. You had a great idea. Trade Portis, Lloyd and a mid rounder next season for CJ, and keep our 1st round 6th pick for Landry.

Then we would have had a crazy offense. Now, we still have no #2 receiving threat. Teams will just bring the blitz on our green quarterback.

Betts up the middle, CJ on one side, Moss on the other....and Cooley down the middle of the field.

But such intelligent decisions are too much to ask of this FO currently.

Yeah! Nevermind the cap ramifications. Nevermind CP is a team leader. Let's just trade him away and rely on a back who lost us two games becuase of fumbles near the end. Let's just trade away a stud RB, one of the top 5, for a rookie WR with a lot of hype.

But such intelligent insight is too much to ask of this poster currently.

Yeah! Nevermind the cap ramifications. Nevermind CP is a team leader. Let's just trade him away and rely on a back who lost us two games becuase of fumbles near the end. Let's just trade away a stud RB, one of the top 5, for a rookie WR with a lot of hype.

Portis is a team leader? Really?

I suppose you think our "team leaders" are too special to play in a preseason game? I guess that is below them.

And do "team leaders" criticize our coach in front of the tv cameras? Portis whined to the media about being asked to play in a preseason game--when instead he could have cried to Gibbs privately.

If that is what you think a team leader to be, I hope we don't have anymore team leaders in the future.

On the other hand, Betts loves to play in preseason games, and will do whatever is asked of him. And does it for much less money, and with much more class.

He was also the MVP of the team last season, in case you missed it.

But such intelligent insight is too much to ask of this poster currently.

Just off the top of my head here are running backs better then Clinton Portis:

1) Ladanian Tomlinson

2.) Larry Johnnson

3.) Deuce McAllister

4.) Rudi Johnson

5.) Shaun Alexander

6.) Steven Jackson

Clearly Portis is not a top five back. In my opinion Portis is probably around the 10th best back in the league. Is he good? Yes. However, is he expendable? I'd say yes.

I suppose you think our "team leaders" are too special to play in a preseason game? I guess that is below them.

And do "team leaders" criticize our coach in front of the tv cameras? Portis whined to the media about being asked to play in a preseason game--when instead he could have cried to Gibbs privately.

If that is what you think a team leader to be, I hope we don't have anymore team leaders in the future.

On the other hand, Betts loves to play in preseason games, and will do whatever is asked of him. And does it for much less money, and with much more class.

Yeah but Portis did play in the preseason and ran his butt off to catch the guy that picked off Brunell's lazy pass. He got hurt doing so because he always plays at full speed, so he wants to protect himself. Doesnt Portis do whatever is asked of him? Block guys bigger than him successfully, run, and catch? Lead the team in TDs, even though he missed most of the season. I like Betts, but great talent + drive doesnt equal average talent + drive. Portis is a team leader. Period.

Crying to the media about having to play in a preseason game is something reserved for losers like Randy Moss and TO.

It isn't something that "team leaders" do.

Real team leaders shut up, and lead by example.

Like coming off the bench, playing on a team that had lost all playoff hopes, and carrying the entire team on your shoulders with 5 consecutive 100 yard+ rushing games. That is what team leaders do.

Crying to the media about having to play in a preseason game is something reserved for losers like Randy Moss and TO.

Like coming off the bench, playing on a team that had lost all playoff hopes, and carrying the entire team on your shoulders with 5 consecutive 100 yard+ rushing games. That is what team leaders do.

Yeah Portis only did that to lead the team to the playoffs and score 7 rushing TDs and throw another one in a five game span. Betts had trouble finding the endzone and fumbled the ball and game away three times.

Yeah different running backs. Betts is a machine that fumbles at the worst times. In the NO game, all he had to do was hold onto the ball, that's all. He couldn't do that. Scares me everytime he gets the ball. When he breaks away, I just pray he goes down with the ball.

You mean the STL game right?

Yet Portis still played in the preseason game, and injured himself making a tackle he didn't need to. CP gives his all every game. What, a player can't vent after possibly missing an entire season due to a play that didn't really matter in a game that didn't really mateer? Sometimes people lose their cool, and if there was a circumstance where that could be understood, it was Portis'. Nothing CP said then destroyed the team, and nothing he has said since has destroyed the team. For the one negative you point out, I'd like to point out the numerous times CP has been positive about this team, about Gibbs, about the receivers, about Campbell.

Good job trying to make a desire to play in preseason games the sole requirement of leadership. CP is a leader, whether you want to admit it or not. Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say. You are supposing I think things that I don't, solely because I see CP as a team leader, as does most everyone here.

I stated CP was a team leader, which he is. I stated the trade scenario you are advocating is dumb also because you have us trading proven players for a rookie, and you don't even consider the cap penalties that we would incur. Your trade would be more crippling than beneficial.

Can I see where Betts actually said he "loves to play in preseason games"? When was Betts named the MVP last season? The offensive line deserves that credit more than Betts, and most on here will agree with that too.

Your whole argument is based on assumptions about me, and about other players. In this case though, those assumptions have only made an " " out of you.

Good job in not defending the trade scenario that I was arguing about.

We can trade Portis and hope to get some help on the DL or OL. Maybe get a decent draft pick for him that we can turn into a starter on the DL or OL.

It's pretty simple math: if Portis is X better than Betts, and by trading Portis you can get Y better at DE, then you do it if X < Y. Or, if you are a Madden person, as so many on here appear to be, assume Portis is a 90, Betts an 84. By trading Portis, you can get a 82 DE to replace 72 Daniels [all numbers were completely pulled out of the air to prove the point about improving elsewhere]. I would do that trade. This is about building a better team across the board so we can compete for championships. This isn't about getting star worship.

Great post SMG! It's what a lot of people here seem not to understand. I've said for a while now that we have Redskins fans and we have players fans. Some people obviously like Portis more than the Redskins. If not, how else to explain why they wouldn't trade Portis to make the team better?

I'm not advocating trading Portis, but no one on this team is untouchable. If the team can be improved by trading anyone, then you do it. Doesn't matter if you've already spent a fortune on his jersey.

If the Skins traded Portis, it wouldn't be because they believe in Betts. It would be because they think by doing so they are improving the team.

Who wouldn't be for improving the team?

Hail,

H

Isn't that what Portis did in '05 ?

Team leaders are emotional, and lead by example. So far CP has played in every game he could, and has set franchise records in doing so. All the while promising every season that the Sklins would be good. Because he vented one time (and in that situation I really can't fault him for letting his emotions get to him) he is a loser, and all of a sudden not a team leader, because he doesn't fit your exact parameters as "leader"? Yet a back-up RB who had recent success is? A player who, in the games you mentioned, cost the team two games because of fumbles in the redzone. Or could it be Betts fits your parameters of "team leader" because it somehow justifies your screwball trade?

Just off the top of my head here are running backs better then Clinton Portis:

1) Ladanian Tomlinson

2.) Larry Johnnson

3.) Deuce McAllister

4.) Rudi Johnson

5.) Shaun Alexander

6.) Steven Jackson

Clearly Portis is not a top five back. In my opinion Portis is probably around the 10th best back in the league. Is he good? Yes. However, is he expendable? I'd say yes.

That's your opinion. However, I'm not the only one on here who is going to diagree with you. Just because you named a couple of the better backs doesn't mean they're better than Portis.

Of your list, I'll give you LT and LJ (although he has only started just recently). I'll even give you sytem-back Shaun Alexander. No one else on that list though. There is a reason why CP is one of the firt five backs in fantasy football every year. Yes I know it's fantasy football, but it is based on stats and how the player is perceived, so it's relevance does come into play here.

Kind of funny that the only ones advocating a CP trade in this thread are all "NNT's".

I thought trading Portis is a good idea, and I still think it is a good idea. If you want to avoid getting swept up in transitory thoughts, then you should avoid getting swept in off-season championship dreams and remember what you were seeing when the games were being played.

Portis is not a top 5 back. The numbers prove it. Since he has been here, he has been around the 10th rated RB in the NFL. He is not the monster everyone wants to belive. He was that monster in the Denver system, but he is not in that system anymore.

He is better than Betts. But not appreciably better than Betts.

When you have lots of holes on a team, you have to try to fill them by getting rid of luxuries to get necessities. Right now, Portis is a luxury. Betts is good enough to be a playoff contender with. Thus, the extent to which Portis is better than Betts is a mere luxury.

We can trade Portis and hope to get some help on the DL or OL. Maybe get a decent draft pick for him that we can turn into a starter on the DL or OL.

It's pretty simple math: if Portis is X better than Betts, and by trading Portis you can get Y better at DE, then you do it if X < Y. Or, if you are a Madden person, as so many on here appear to be, assume Portis is a 90, Betts an 84. By trading Portis, you can get a 82 DE to replace 72 Daniels [all numbers were completely pulled out of the air to prove the point about improving elsewhere]. I would do that trade. This is about building a better team across the board so we can compete for championships. This isn't about getting star worship.

Now I wouldn't do this is Portis was special. You don't trade LT no matter how many other position you can improve. But Portis is NOT special. And his performance here in Washington shows that (you can't count his performance in Denver when determining his value to this team--you only look at what he has done with this team). He is very good, but not special. Betts is good, too. While Portis is a little better, you can still win with Betts.

That's what I believe based purely on on-the-field player management issues.

**But in addition to that, I'd trade Portis because I am tired of his act and embarassed that he is considered the face of this franchise. Betts is a homegrown Redskin that is someone this franchise should be proud of from a character perspective. Portis is a loud-mouth U guy who is always talking about how great he is and what he is going to do, but he never does it. **

And this recent comment from him that he is going to do more of that stupid interview nonsense "just to piss off the haters" really disgusts me. Screw Portis. Portis is about Portis. His statement that he would restructure (which has nothing to do with him losing money or giving anything up) doesn't make it otherwise.

On the field, I'd trade Portis and go with Betts if you can improve other areas needed for improvement. Getting rid of Portis and his antics off the field would merely be an added benefit.

Portis is a top 5 back, and you have tried to argue otherwise before, and been quite unsuccesful. Your comments that have asterisks next to them explains it all. It's quite obvious that you have some kind of issue with CP, even saying you are "tired of his act". So right away you show your bias in this argument. You have some kind of vendetta against CP, meaning you are incapable of holding a fair and balanced argument in this thread. You seem to be part of the "He's homegrown so that automatically makes him the best ever" crowd. CP won us games down the stretch, and got us into the playoffs. Betts fumbled down the stretch, and cost us games. I don't know how you can actually write off a back as not being succesful here, when that back has set a franchise record for rushing yards. Also, you continue to ignore cap ramifications in every thread you mention a CP trade. Why? Maybe because the cap penalties make a CP trade even more ridiculous than it already is.

Plus you lost a lot of credibility with at least me (and with this have lost what little was left) when you joined and chose that particular name :Snydermustgo. Only a hater would join a team site with a handle that criticizes said team. You couldn't think of a positive (or original) name to go by?

I never once wanted Clinton to be traded. When he's back and healthy he takes a lot of pressure off the D and gives them time to rest, thus keeping them fresh. 3 and outs last year put our D right back on the field hardly even giving them a chance to rest. So I think the D will be better with Portis back and doing what he always does.

:cheers: Here's to Portis at 100% next year and crushing all the haters hopes :cheers:

Guess I'll actually make a relevant post though.

Trading portis is one of the dumbest things we coulda done. No matter how well Betts did at the end of last season he is not the complete back that Portis is. He's also a year older. Add that to the fact that portis is a fantastic blocker in pass protection or down the field for screens. Add that to his leadership, ability to motivate the team, and Southeast Jerome. Other teams wouldn't be willing to give up what it would take for us to trade him away.

Our O-line started comming together last year... that had more to do with Betts' production than Betts himself.

But all of this is moot since you already admitted your mistake. Kudos 2 you.

:applause: :cheers: :applause: :cheers:

ya know riggo talk at length on his show several times about trading portis..a little RB envy? I think portis gives us options as a passs catcher a blocker and his locker room prescence is irreplacable. Ladell is good CP could go on to join Riggo in the HoF.

"I shouldn't even be playing in a preseason game." Clinton Portis 2006

Really? How do you think the other players on the team, every single one of them that DO have to play in preseason games, feel about that? Portis is too good for them?

And how many of those "lesser" players do you think were thrilled when Betts came in off the bench, and proceeded to run for a higher YPC average than Portis EVER has as a Redskin? Even though Portis has had the majority of real game and practice snaps over the last few years.

I would guess just about every one of them.

The real arguement isn't who is better between Portis and Betts--they are impossible to compare. Sure, Betts came in and ran for more YPC than Portis ever has last season, but he hasn't even been given a fair chance yet to accurately judge.

And Betts has fumbled more--I think most would agree that fumbles tend to go away with reps in practice and games.

The real opportunity lost here was the simple idea that Betts + CJ is much better for our offense as a whole than Portis + Betts on the bench + no CJ.

And yes, we could have done it financially. Portis' salary, plus Lloyd's salary would have offset the cost of CJ's salary.

That bold trade could have been the greatest trade since the Herschel Walker trade. It could have turned this organization around on a dime.

Instead, we will now watch Betts sit.....Portis run.....and teams double cover Moss until JC is sacked.

That's your opinion. However, I'm not the only one on here who is going to diagree with you. Just because you named a couple of the better backs doesn't mean they're better than Portis.

Of your list, I'll give you LT and LJ (although he has only started just recently). I'll even give you sytem-back Shaun Alexander. No one else on that list though. There is a reason why CP is one of the firt five backs in fantasy football every year. Yes I know it's fantasy football, but it is based on stats and how the player is perceived, so it's relevance does come into play here.

Lol at you calling Shaun Alexander a "system back" in defense of Portis. Portis is the definition of a system back: great in Denver, merely good in Washington.

One more time.

Refute these facts please:

2004-2006 Production

1. T. Baber 5,040 yds; 27 TDs

2. Tomlinson 4,612 yds; 63 TDs

3. S. Alexander 4,472 yds; 50 TDs

4. L. Johnson 4,120 yds; 46 TDs

5. R. Johnson 4,221 yds; 36 TDs

6. E. James 4,213 yds; 28 TDs

7. W. Dunn 3,662 yds; 16 TDs

8. T. Jones 3,493 yds; 22 TDs

9. W. McGahee 3,365 yds; 24 TDs

10. S. Jackson 3,347 yds; 25 TDs

C. Portis 3,354 yds; 23 TDs

11. R. Droughns 3,230 yds; 12 TDs

12. C. Dillon 3,180 yds; 37 TDs

13. F. Taylor 3,157yds; 10 TDs

14. J. Lewis 3,044; 19 TDs

14. W. Parker (2 Seasons only) 2,696 yds; 17 TDs

15. F. Gore (1.5 seasons only) 2,303 yds; 11 TDs

Durability is a big factor with RBs. You can't call Portis, who gets injured, better than a more productive back who is not injured, and rely on health as a reason to excuse the difference.

Besides, even looking at Portis' one good healthy(?) year for us in '05? Here is where it ranks in seasons over the last three years:

1. S. Alexander ('05) 1,880

2. T. Barber ('05) 1,860

3. L. Tomlinson ('06) 1,815

4. L. Johnson ('06) 1,789

5. L. Johnson ('05) 1,750

6. C. Martin ('04) 1,697

7. S. Alexander ('04) 1,696

8. F. Gore ('06) 1,695

9. T. Barber ('06) 1'662

10. C. Dillon 1,635 ('04)

11. E. James ('04) 1,548

12. S. Jackson ('06) 1,528

13. T. Barber ('04) 1,518

14. C. Portis ('05) 1,516

Next year, the following running backs will most likely have a better year than Portis:

LT

LJ

Gore

S. Jackson

R. Johnson

S. Alexander

W. Parker

(Possibly T. Henry in Denver and Maroney in NE as now featured backs)

Portis is not a top 5 back. The numbers prove it. Since he has been here, he has been around the 10th rated RB in the NFL. He is not the monster everyone wants to belive. He was that monster in the Denver system, but he is not in that system anymore.

LaDainian Tomlinson

2004 1335 yards 3.9 ypc 17 TD's

2005 1462 yards 4.3 ypc 18 TD's

Clinton Portis

2004 1315 yards 3.8 ypc 5TD's

2005 1506 yards 4.3 ypc 11TD's

are you sure portis isnt a top 5 back?

LT had a probowl QB, hall of fake FB and probowl TE on his team.

Clinton portis had mark brunell a rookie TE the only help he got was in 05 season where he tore it up.

and in 06 season he led the league in rushing TD's untill he broke his hand against eagles after that LT just went nutz.

Lol at you calling Shaun Alexander a "system back" in defense of Portis. Portis is the definition of a system back: great in Denver, merely good in Washington.

if portis is a system back why cant denver replace him?

last 3 years denver RB's

2004 reuben dhroughns 1240 4.4 ypc

2005 mike anderson 1014 4.2 ypc

2006 tatum bell 1025 4.4 ypc

compare that to portis's 5.5 ypc in denver

Archived