Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buc's releasing Simeon Rice for cap sapce?

DirtySkin21

i'll take any help we can get on the dline - it needs to get better somehow before the season starts. getting rice for a short-term contract at a low price would be great, but i'm not sure if that's even possible. i think he'd be looking to get paid pretty good by somebody with guaranteed money. and if we're talking about spending big cash or signing long term contracts, i'll go window shopping, too.

i want aaron schobel from the bills. ... beastly and underrated.

We'll pass on him. Spend the money else where. We have enough people in camp to compete for playing time. Let's see what we got in the locker room/camp before worrying about a 33 year old Rice. There's 6-8 DE's ready to battle for playing time. One of the young one's might surprise.

Not to mention that Rice will be more concerned about his Sack totals than playing the scheme. And that will get us into trouble. I say stand pat and use what we have on hand.

so some people DON'T want a 33 year old Sam Adams who can take up blockers with his size, but DO want a 33 year old Simeon Rice who's skill requires speed and quickness?

If we can find a third down rusher out of one of the young guys signed in the off-season (Jamal Green, Hickman, Sykes), Daniels will be fine for 1st and 2nd down - and he's good against the run.

Not me. I don't want either, unless we suffer an injury, then maybe. I've said it a million times now that the Redskins shouldn't be taking players off the scrap heap, but instead developing the young ones we acquire (which is why holding onto draft picks is important).

Let the old guys like Adams, Rice, Favre, Keyshawn, etc. eat up someone else's money. Enough of the "hired gun" philosophy that never pays off (when the "guns" are in their mid thirties or so).

Hail,

H

I heard from a couple of ground hogs that the Chargers were going to let go of Shawn Merriman maybe the Skins should sign Merriman to a 2 year contract or maybe the ground hogs to a scouting job.

Sorry, but we arent interested in Merriman. He gets far to many sacks to be effective, and considering all the sacks he gets, he probobly is weak against the run(plus, sacks arent important).

helll no, who said anything about draft picks... put that word back into your pocket

this is if he's cut due to cap room issues. then we will pick him up.. No one even brought up that word but you. haha

I have in over a dozen threads involving Rice. If we traded a late round pick to the Bucs, who will cut him anyway, we won't get into and possibly lose a bidding war for him.

and yeah, griffin is already in the middle. that's why i said.....Originally Posted by DirtySkin21

He could be opposite carter and have griffin in the middle.

because I would rather have an Old simeon rice rather then an old philip daniels.

No you wouldn't. Daniels is very very good against the run. Thats why he is a strong side end. If we didn't have a run stuffer on the edge, it would hurt us. Rice takes running plays off, we need him to hold his blocks. The guy is know to have a bad additude and not be a team player. Not what we need. That being said, i've always been a big fan of his and I think Williams could find a use for him. Our LB's are good upfield players who might be situationally able to handle some of his duties and let him attack. I used to be very into this idea and tryed to start the get him rumor going before the draft, but now I don't like it so much. I'de rather see us trade a high pick for Schobel or Betts for Kampman or just leave it alone and hope Daniels stays healthy and a young guy steps up.

No you wouldn't. Daniels is very very good against the run. Thats why he is a strong side end. If we didn't have a run stuffer on the edge, it would hurt us.

Im not so sure Daniels is as good against the run as people maintain he is. I think a lot of that opinion stems from him NOT being good against the pass, and still being the starter(plus hes a vet), so therefor, he must be good against the run.

I watched the Dallas at Skins game this week. Decided since id seen it so many times, id watch the DLine. Mind you, it was only one game, but if other games during the season were similar, Daniels looked pretty dang bad. Against the pass, not only was he failing to get pressure, but when the QB rolled to his side, and nobody was between him and the QB, he was slower than molasses in winter, going uphill. Griffin was BLOWING past him trying to get to the QB.

Against the run, he didnt fair much better, he was getting blown up on plays, and getting pushed completely out of position. In one play, hes the strongside end, the Cowboys throw a pitch to his side(hes the only DLinemen out that far), and the TE(didnt get help from anyone else) just blocks down on him and shoved him so far back inside he looked silly. A second later, the RB is running outside for a nice gain, and Daniels is standing where the QB was, behind center. If you run a toss play, and the TE takes the DE on that side 10 yards out of the play, you are going to have some big gains running the ball. Im just not so sure hes as good against the run as people say he is, ive yet to see it.

Let the old guys like Adams, Rice, Favre, Keyshawn, etc. eat up someone else's money. Enough of the "hired gun" philosophy that never pays off (when the "guns" are in their mid thirties or so).

Adams wouldn't be a "hired gun", but rather be added to a rotation and would probably come for reasonable money. Not to mention knows and likes Williams' system. - He would bring value.

Rice or Keyshawn will expect starting jobs and starters money - neither of which we are looking for or need.

The guy had 2 sacks when he was 32, he is 33 now, how many can he "rack up" now?

Rice only played in 8 games last year. In those 8 games he was not at full strength. The four years previous to last year Rice totaled 56 1/2 sacks. If the Skins can get him a reasonable dollar amount, the Skins should get him. The skins need D-line help, but some of you insist the Skins do not. Skins get D-line help, but do it in a cost effective way. Please!

:applause: ....

oh I mean :laugh: :rolleyes:... was that supposed to be funny? because I was being dead serious. I'm sorry I go to college full time and have a job and i can't save every reference I read an article from. What article was this already discussed in because I havent seen it? Or since that it's already been discussed no one is allowed to answer my question? because i still dont know, tahts why im asking. I wasn't asking for smart ass remarks. I'm getting tired of the some of the responses a lot of you little punks who have a smart ass little computer mouth and run it constantly online. I thought we were all family in here, why so much hostility and snobbyish towards my question/comment? I dont understand it, some of you act like cowboy fans

Point being, this is only a rumor from an unreliable source. For all we know, Rice may renogiate his contract. Secondly, everyone with informative news typically post links not information they paraphrase from a Bucs website. Do you actually think people are going to trust hearsay? For all we know, you might be a Bucs fan.

Im not so sure Daniels is as good against the run as people maintain he is. I think a lot of that opinion stems from him NOT being good against the pass, and still being the starter(plus hes a vet), so therefor, he must be good against the run.

I watched the Dallas at Skins game this week. Decided since id seen it so many times, id watch the DLine. Mind you, it was only one game, but if other games during the season were similar, Daniels looked pretty dang bad. Against the pass, not only was he failing to get pressure, but when the QB rolled to his side, and nobody was between him and the QB, he was slower than molasses in winter, going uphill. Griffin was BLOWING past him trying to get to the QB.

Against the run, he didnt fair much better, he was getting blown up on plays, and getting pushed completely out of position. In one play, hes the strongside end, the Cowboys throw a pitch to his side(hes the only DLinemen out that far), and the TE(didnt get help from anyone else) just blocks down on him and shoved him so far back inside he looked silly. A second later, the RB is running outside for a nice gain, and Daniels is standing where the QB was, behind center. If you run a toss play, and the TE takes the DE on that side 10 yards out of the play, you are going to have some big gains running the ball. Im just not so sure hes as good against the run as people say he is, ive yet to see it.

I was watching that too. I was paying attention to the backfield more then the line, funny huh. The biggest thing I saw was Lemar getting blown up on every running play. You might be right about Daniels, but he was hurting all year and the whole team played poorly. Next time they replay a game from 05 or so, watch him. I'de love to replace him, but it isn't looking like it'll happen, not with any real impact players. The main point I was trying to make is the "type" of DE we need.

Archived