Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players' Discontentment

Jino

This is a man's game no question...but if your looking for honorable creeds and role models- don't put them in a $billion sport. I don't know anyone who would forfeit their word for millions. They already put their life/health on the line- why do people think their word or code of ethics wouldn't be the first thing to go?

Probably those who think role models aren't being compensated to sell products.

Its human nature to want what others have, its in the OT.

Just give a kid some ice cream and count how long till his/her sibling starts it up.....lmao.

Exactly, that's why I think fans have a right to voice displeasure when a single player disrupts a locker room through a holdout or misbehavior. We the fans of a single team are also strapped by a salary cap. OUR team has a set limit of resources we can spend on players. When we think we've taken care of a player's financial wishes, we go on to the next guy to care of. However, when someone we made an agreement with comes back and asks for more, this causes problems for the team and makes me just sigh. What's worse is when a player whines about it. I care about the team more than about whether our strong-side backer can afford another Ferrari.

Is it me or does it feel like that too many players these days are discontent? Whether it be Taylor with his contract or Favre with his team or T.O.'s recent announcement that Parcells was an inadequate coach, it seems that there are too players that are too spoiled.

Have these players forgotten how priviledged they are playing a game they love for MILLIONS of dollars!

I know some will argue that players have every right as a regular office worker does. But think about it for one second. These players cannot be compared with America's regular workforce. People would die to be in their place.

Players used to shut up and just play. If they had a problem, they went to their coach. Now the players create drama by calling out their coach through the media. Unbelievable. These fools should get a grip on reality. Try waking up at 5 am and drive a truck for 14 hours. Try teaching 35 junior high students. Try working as a resident at a hospital for 14 hours straight. This is reality while these fools complain that they deserve 3 more million dollars this year. We are spoiling them too much.

Remembering Patrick Ewing justifying the increase in salary cap during CBA negotiations by saying "We may make a lot, but we also spend a lot." Unbelievable.

See I think Favre has a right to complain. HE's given green bay all he had in him save for maybe the year before last. He made a committment to come back, and green bay, as of yet, has done zip to help the running game or get him a good tight end to throw too. Why else do yout hink he offered to give up 3 mil just to help sign moss. The guy wants one final ring, is that so much to ask for?

PS I really wish spell checker worked in this forum :|

I think what everyone neglects to think about is they may only work for three years and make a few million, but when theyre out of the nfl they can get a regular job, and with the right investments they can live off of and grow that initial lump sum. They have the early capital and a lifetime of compound interest, i dont cry for them. It will take me many years to make their 3 yr average salary, and over these years i have more costs involved just to live.... i.e. it cost more to live 10 years and make a mil than live 3 years and make a mil, so their money has more valuable. Now if theyre idiots and overspend and live the 'nfl' lifestyle thats their poor decision....just as it is yours to refinance your house 5 times and be upside down on your mortgage...you live with your decisions...

Exactly, that's why I think fans have a right to voice displeasure when a single player disrupts a locker room through a holdout or misbehavior. We the fans of a single team are also strapped by a salary cap. OUR team has a set limit of resources we can spend on players. When we think we've taken care of a player's financial wishes, we go on to the next guy to care of. However, when someone we made an agreement with comes back and asks for more, this causes problems for the team and makes me just sigh. What's worse is when a player whines about it. I care about the team more than about whether our strong-side backer can afford another Ferrari.

Besides what you might see on your block, sports is the best drama you can ever find.

The team is more important than a ferrari consumer. The brave organizations that take that leap of faith -I think of the Patriots- either fall ass up into Rings or at least they have their self respect. We on the other end are like addicted junkies constantly looking for that quick fix. We have to have faith. Keeping the '08 draft picks is our first day of recovery.

No more Dr.Feelgood.....he's not what you call a clever man.

Why can't he shut up, wait one year until his contract expires and sign a new freakin' deal? A man should honor a contract no matter what you're peers are getting.

Why should a player be held accountable to a standard that his employer doesn't honor. Every year Vets are forced to renegotitiate contracts they signed for a lesser value. Or, they get cut outright and lose out on money they would have received.

When you come to the realization that there is no good guy in contract negotiations then you'll be able to ignore this sillyness.

Its an unfair buisness. Players can get cut at any point and lose out on a lot of money. Players also don't get all the money that the contract says. None of it is guraunteed except when it says guraunteed. They have taxes come out of the checks to, and most of the contract is incentive laden anyway. Nate Clemens won't be getting the full 80mil that was reported. These do risk their lives and health to play this game. Plus there hasn't been loyalty in the league since FA started. Look what happened (dare I say) to Emmit Smith. He took a pay cut and was still let go.

Yes the players need to learn how to handle their buisness better. But they do earn every penny.

People in general used to be more content.

This is not isolated to the world of sports, it is a worldwide change. People just are more spoiled today, and they expect more. Look around you.

Especially here in America and other countries with a lot of technology and capital. Plus the cost of everything is going up but salaries really aren't so of course people are going to want more.

I can't believe with posters that sympathize with players who hold out. Don't you understand that the players agreed to these contracts? Why does Faneca of the Steelers believe that he is entitled to a renegotiated contract? Just because Dockery and Davis got huge deals?

well why do teams feel they are entitled to just ask a player to restructure. Also the rules allow teams to just cut players when they sign a contract so i can understand when players feel they have improved and diserve a better deal.

I don't have a problem with the fact that players make a lot of money. I don't resent them for their riches. That is besides the point. What I have a problem is with the fact that players don't seem to be thankful for the opportunity to play in the NFL. I guess what bothers me is that players are too quick to show discontent with either their contract or their coaches and just hold out or demand a trade. The worse part of it all is that it gets worse every year. I can't begin to imagine what the league will look like in 10 or 15 years. I would like to make a suggestion to any ball player who's going to hold out in the future. SIGN A DAMN CONTRACT YOU WILL NOT REGRET !!! Otherwise, don't sign it. And if you have a problem with a coach or teammate, please don't splash it on the evening news. You guys are football players, not high school girls.

Sean Taylor may have been a bad example. Instead, let's substitute him with Faneca or Mike McKenzie.

You have alot of fu$king gall by dragging a players name through mud by accussing him of being a malcontent. And then, after someone tries to correct you, there's no apology for your error to the poster that corrected you.

well why do teams feel they are entitled to just ask a player to restructure. Also the rules allow teams to just cut players when they sign a contract so i can understand when players feel they have improved and diserve a better deal.

The contract is an agreement which can be renegotiated at anytime with consent of both parties. The team asks, the player can agree to or not. The player asks then team has the option.

The "cut rule" is part of the sports industry, but the player is protected somewhat by the cap. Teams now have weigh the cap hit vs the performance benefit when considering cutting a player.

One could also argue that the NFL draft is unfair.... shouldn't any college player be allowed to sign with any team and or the highest bidder?

It's not about that. If you worked as an office admin and you made 30K a year, yet the person down the hall had the same credentials as you, began working for the co. the same day you did, and had the same job experience but he/she got paid 10K more per year you'd be upset. Unfortunately, the NFL draft prospects salary inflates every year. One year the going rate for a 6th pick in the first round may be 18mil and two years later the rate may go up a mil and a half for the same pick (hypothetically of course). By the way, Taylor said, "...I'm happy...I don't handle that stuff and I don't think it's right to talk about it..." Doesn't sound like it's an issue to me.

The point is: If you are doing the same job as someone else and you've proven yourself as a professional, you should receive the going rate for your performance. In the business world, pro sports included, everyone is graded on a curve whether it be performance based or tenure or both. Because of inflation in (the going rate) the money that players receive now are going to be more than their equals from one, two, three, etc years ago. These players make tons and tons of money for the corporate world including the teams they play for, the NFL, the apparel, and everything associated with the league. Yes their salaries are high, but they are deserved especially in Taylor's case. He is an elite Safety and deserves to be re-uped when the time is right. If you were an NFL athlete that happened to blow your knee out in your first year, you'd be glad that you got financial security for the rest of your life. These guys are risking a lot to be out there. This game ain't no walk in the park :)

Is it me or does it feel like that too many players these days are discontent? Whether it be Taylor with his contract or Favre with his team or T.O.'s recent announcement that Parcells was an inadequate coach, it seems that there are too players that are too spoiled.

Have these players forgotten how priviledged they are playing a game they love for MILLIONS of dollars!

I know some will argue that players have every right as a regular office worker does. But think about it for one second. These players cannot be compared with America's regular workforce. People would die to be in their place.

Players used to shut up and just play. If they had a problem, they went to their coach. Now the players create drama by calling out their coach through the media. Unbelievable. These fools should get a grip on reality. Try waking up at 5 am and drive a truck for 14 hours. Try teaching 35 junior high students. Try working as a resident at a hospital for 14 hours straight. This is reality while these fools complain that they deserve 3 more million dollars this year. We are spoiling them too much.

Remembering Patrick Ewing justifying the increase in salary cap during CBA negotiations by saying "We may make a lot, but we also spend a lot." Unbelievable.

While I am sure this is an issue, I have a strong belief that the media overblows some situations to make it seem like these issues are happening everywhere all the time... (Taylor is an example)

These guys make MILLIONS of dollars. I may never see a million dollars in my life. Maybe instead of buying the most expensive EVERYTHING, they should plan financially for when their football careers are over. I mean, if a guy is slated to make $2 million one year, he should be responsible for his own money and shouldn't come crying for a pay raise to suit his personal interests.

Taylor with his contract?

Don;t believe the media rumors without hearing from the man himself

Taylor just said he was fine with his contract.

This is how misinformation hurts america.

You are absolutely right, but it didn't start now. Been going on for about 20 years I'd say. I'm not so sure this attitude is specific to athletes though. I think you see that "me first" spoiled attitude in a lot of places, it's just they don't stick a mic in front of other professions and those professions don't have talk shows dedicated to them.

It's unfortunate that many athletes don't realize how good they have it though.

Hail,

H

It's taken me a long time to accept this, and it hasn't been easy, because from the time I was about 7 until I graduated high school, I lived and breathed NFL football, and Redskins football in particular, every fall.

The NFL has been ruined. Irrevocably changed in ways that have turned it into a whole different game, and it is never going to go back to what it was. It all happened in the 90s, due to a variety of factors that all converged. In retrospect, the blame lies with Paul Tagliabue, who should go down in history as the man who destroyed the NFL.

First in '93, they instituted free agency. That was the biggest damage to the league. You could argue it was inevitable, but it probably could have been avoided. As soon as Rozelle was gone, Tagliabue eagerly rolled over and played dead for the players' union.

Then you had a free-for-all on the part of the Cowboys and 49ers, who bent the rules and used loopholes to put together monster teams that nobody could beat. In the case of the Cowboys, they did it using many players who were, without question, SCUM-- and the league and its fans cheered and looked the other way. First and foremost in that situation was Deion Sanders, who actually flip flopped back and forth between those two teams just in time to win the Super Bowl with each, the whole time talking trash and behaving on the field in a way that was unprecedented. Everybody thought it was great. The behavior and attitude of players has been on a downward slide ever since. They're mercenaries who don't give a crap about their team or the fans, they act however they want to act if they have talent, because they know somebody will write them a check. That's all it is to them.

The second half of what wrecked the league is expansion (i.e. greed). It's not complicated. There were 28 teams, now there are 32. There are 53 players on every roster. That means there are 212 players in the NFL every year who would not have made a team before the 90s. As a result, the overall level of talent on every team has been diluted, and nobody can field a complete team. Every team has a glaring weakness, and the games are competitions between whose glaring weaknesses are worse, not whose strengths are better, the way it used to be.

I am getting a lot closer every year to the point where I give up on the NFL. The Redskins being bottom feeders for a decade and a half hasn't helped either. Nor has the fact they're owned by one of the worst owners in the history of professional sports, who is too young to sell the team before I'm collecting social security.

It's taken me a long time to accept this, and it hasn't been easy, because from the time I was about 7 until I graduated high school, I lived and breathed NFL football, and Redskins football in particular, every fall.

The NFL has been ruined. Irrevocably changed in ways that have turned it into a whole different game, and it is never going to go back to what it was. It all happened in the 90s, due to a variety of factors that all converged. In retrospect, the blame lies with Paul Tagliabue, who should go down in history as the man who destroyed the NFL.

First in '93, they instituted free agency. That was the biggest damage to the league. You could argue it was inevitable, but it probably could have been avoided. As soon as Rozelle was gone, Tagliabue eagerly rolled over and played dead for the players' union.

Then you had a free-for-all on the part of the Cowboys and 49ers, who bent the rules and used loopholes to put together monster teams that nobody could beat. In the case of the Cowboys, they did it using many players who were, without question, SCUM-- and the league and its fans cheered and looked the other way. First and foremost in that situation was Deion Sanders, who actually flip flopped back and forth between those two teams just in time to win the Super Bowl with each, the whole time talking trash and behaving on the field in a way that was unprecedented. Everybody thought it was great. The behavior and attitude of players has been on a downward slide ever since. They're mercenaries who don't give a crap about their team or the fans, they act however they want to act if they have talent, because they know somebody will write them a check. That's all it is to them.

The second half of what wrecked the league is expansion (i.e. greed). It's not complicated. There were 28 teams, now there are 32. There are 53 players on every roster. That means there are 212 players in the NFL every year who would not have made a team before the 90s. As a result, the overall level of talent on every team has been diluted, and nobody can field a complete team. Every team has a glaring weakness, and the games are competitions between whose glaring weaknesses are worse, not whose strengths are better, the way it used to be.

I am getting a lot closer every year to the point where I give up on the NFL. The Redskins being bottom feeders for a decade and a half hasn't helped either. Nor has the fact they're owned by one of the worst owners in the history of professional sports, who is too young to sell the team before I'm collecting social security.

the beginning of the end was when the NFL let elway dictate which team he would go to.

the beginning of the end was when the NFL let elway dictate which team he would go to.

Actually, that had nothing to do with the league, IIRC. I'm pretty sure Elway threatened to go play baseball.

I should have added that every year the fans pay more and get less in return. They keep adding commercial breaks to games, which makes them increasingly unwatchable on TV and a joke in the stadium because of the constant stoppages of play. What's the owners' answer? "Hey, we know the game sucks on the field, but hey look -- Fireworks!"

Actually, that had nothing to do with the league, IIRC. I'm pretty sure Elway threatened to go play baseball.

I should have added that every year the fans pay more and get less in return. They keep adding commercial breaks to games, which makes them increasingly unwatchable on TV and a joke in the stadium because of the constant stoppages of play. What's the owners' answer? "Hey, we know the game sucks on the field, but hey look -- Fireworks!"

it was the first time the league caved to a player coming out of college, at least that was so widely publicized. so, it had every thing to do with the league. yes he threatened to go play baseball. the NFL should have said "have fun". but because of their greed they let him choose his team.

it was the first time the league caved to a player coming out of college, at least that was so widely publicized. so, it had every thing to do with the league. yes he threatened to go play baseball. the NFL should have said "have fun". but because of their greed they let him choose his team.

It wasn't the NFL. It was the team in question that he didn't want to play for, the (Baltimore) Colts. In any event, that was a tiny occurrence compared to what I'm talking about. I don't know that it had any long-term impact beyond the teams involved.

Archived