Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marshall no longer middle man (Examiner article mentions Rocky as the starter)

#98QBKiller

I couldn't find this story posted on ES yet, I saw it in the Examiner this morning. The article doesn't have a lot to say besides the fact that we replaced Marshall with Fletcher, but what caught my eye was the mention of Rocky as the starter. I hadn't heard anything definite on this yet...

Marshall no longer the middle man

May 14, 2007 3:00 AM (5 hrs ago)

by John Keim, The Examiner

Ashburn (Map, News) - The coaches excused his performance, blaming it on his shoulders — and not his ability. The excuse was valid: Lemar Marshall had undergone two shoulder surgeries in the offseason.

His performance suffered.

But the coaches publicly maintained their confidence.

Then they signed London Fletcher.

Now Marshall has gone from nice story the past three seasons to spare part. As of now, he’s out of a starting job, playing behind Rocky McIntosh on the outside, Fletcher in the middle and Marcus Washington on the strong side.

Marshall’s versatility has caused him to be a valuable backup rather than an adequate starter.

Click link for full article:

http://www.examiner.com/a-726575~Marshall_no_longer_the_middle_man.html

B.S. Rocky isn't the starter. No one knows what the plan is not even the coaches with regard to the WLB spot. I'd suspect they're hoping Marshall and Mac can share the spot but I'm sure they expect Marshall to start since Gibbs said it's where he is most comfortable (if I recall correctly). B.S. article by a person that doesn't know what they're talking about. What else is new? These decisions won't come until injuries are evaluated and enough reps are given to determine who fits where IMO. I don't see this decision being made until training camp. This is an article most likely based on conjecture probably b/c Marshall may not be taking many reps in OTA's or minicamp b/c of the aformentioned surgery. :2cents:

HTTR

I couldn't find this story posted on ES yet, I saw it in the Examiner this morning. l

Well, then, like all things in the Examiner, it must be true. (For example, the Examiner consistently teaches us that public schools are the root of all evil in Western Civilization :evil: and that teachers are one step below terrorists...That's important stuff.)

And the Examiner IS known for breaking huge news stories, like the time they.........Well, there was probably something really exciting about the Rockville mayor's race at some point.

Still, you don't need to be psychic to know that the team will give Rocky his shot to own the position this year, so I'm guessing they have this one right. I hope so.

Well, then, like all things in the Examiner, it must be true. (For example, the Examiner consistently teaches us that public schools are the root of all evil in Western Civilization :evil: and that teachers are one step below terrorists...That's important stuff.)

And the Examiner IS known for breaking huge news stories, like the time they.........Well, there was probably something really exciting about the Rockville mayor's race at some point.

Still, you don't need to be psychic to know that the team will give Rocky his shot to own the position this year, so I'm guessing they have this one right. I hope so.

Next time, don't bother replying. I didn't say anything about the credibility of the Examiner, I simply relayed a published news story. Take it for what it's worth, if you despise the publication then don't read it and don't click on a post that clearly references an article from the Examiner. Thanks! :thumbsup:

No one will know what's going to happen at WLB until, maybe, after training, and most likely after preseason. This article speculates that Rocky is the starter, but that's not a definite.
Way to be the wet blanket. This is what the offseason is about: making assertions that can in no way be proved, yet we defend them to the death while making the exact opposite assertion in the thread right next to it. Duh. ;)

While there isn't proof that Rocky is penciled in as the starter, you'd have to think that it is his job to lose verses a guy who has been playing MLB the last two years.

No, nothing is ever definite, but considering the confidence the organization seems to show in Rocky (Briggs really didn't say much about confidence, more about value for the #6 pick, otherwise it probably would have gotten done.), I'd have to say it probably will be his job. The only uncertainty that we put on it is our own spin on the situation.

To be honest, Marshall is probably more valuable as a backup right now, particularly with the injury questions. It is probably better off if Rocky does start as WLB, because of the guys who are comming off of injury. Hell, Marshall could end up starting at SLB if Washington has a setback. He needs to be ready to fill in when anyone has an injury.

Jason

Marshall was playing last year with the disadvantage of being undersized as well as injured. He was steady as Lavar's replacement and a playmaker at MLB in 2005 when he was healthy. For 16 games his size in the middle causes him to take too much punishment but he can play there and play well. The criticism he has received is somewhat unfair. I think I understand how he feels but he is a very good linebacker and valuable to the skins because of his versitility. In 2005 he played the middle every bit as well as Pierce for about one fifth of the cost, he just gets worn down. I am glad we've got him because every time we bring in a free agent MLB he either flops or gets hurt. Marshall is good insurance.

rocky will start. hes more athletic, faster, and hits harder than marshall. marshall is yet another aging vet on this team, rocky is one of the younger guys. we need youth on this D, with taylor/landry/rocky/golston/rogers/montgomry, were finally moving in the right direction.

The thing about Marshall is that he's average. He played adequately at MLB and WSLB in the past, but he never really was a difference maker. He can hold down any LB spot while a player is injured but he can't take his play to another level. I think we got to let Macintosh play just to see if he can be better.

Now I'm not down on Marshall, I think we can win with him at WSLB. However if we have a better alternative on the bench, we have to find out.

The thing about Marshall is that he's average. He played adequately at MLB and WSLB in the past, but he never really was a difference maker. He can hold down any LB spot while a player is injured but he can't take his play to another level. I think we got to let Macintosh play just to see if he can be better.

Now I'm not down on Marshall, I think we can win with him at WSLB. However if we have a better alternative on the bench, we have to find out.

obviously marshall and rocky will spell each other, i just hope rocky is the starter. he paid his dues last season on the bench, and proved he can tackle very well given his stats from the 2 games that he started at the end of the season.

I think pencilling anybody in as a starter in May is dumb. A lot can happen.

Well, someone needs to be pencilled in as the starter. I mean, both can't play the same position at the same time, so someone needs to be the first on the field.

Sure, things can change in camp, but I think at this point, they'd get more dividens with Rocky on the field first, particularly since Marshall is the only veteran depth they have behind Rocky and Washington right now.

Jason

Sporting news has been saying this about ROcky for a week, I shoulda posted it, but I figured it was said somewhere before and I woulda been reposting - nice to see an additional source to the SN Warroom.

Definately good to hear, it sounds like Rocky's elite athleticism wins out - for now....

its pretty much a joke if rocky doesn't start.. What other franchise allows a 2nd round pick not to start in his 2 year of experience?

one that doesnt think hes ready due to skills not progressing as anticipated or injury. the bigger joke would be starting a player that, for whatever reason, wasnt ready just to appease some message board fans.

Archived