Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marshall no longer middle man (Examiner article mentions Rocky as the starter)

#98QBKiller

There's an awful lot of silly bravado in this thread when it comes to speculation about who's going to start at the WLB position. Penciling in McIntosh as the starter certainly doesn't suggest a lack of knowledge. Quite the opposite, since the Skins traded up in the second round to draft him, in the first place. You don't do that for a projected backup.

Considering all the nickle packages the Skins employ, I'd say both McIntosh and Marshall will get plenty of playing time, regardless of who starts. But McIntosh has flashed the big play ability that Marshall lacks. Rocky just needs to become comfortable in the defensive scheme. I don't think there's a whole lot to debate, here.

:excited: WHAT?!?!?

BLC said something positive about Golston and Montgomery?!?!?!?

What's going on here????

;) :jk: BLC.

haha, cmon, i said were going in the right direction, not that both of them should be penciled in as starters. although i really like what ive seen from golston at the 1 gap position, and ive stated that numerous times.

Rocky starting is an assumption. Lamar and Rocky will be battling for that spot in camp. Whoever Coach Williams feels is the best will play. Say Rocky gets it, Lamar is still an asset to the team, not only by his great performance on special teams, but also his ability to play all 3 lb spots. Lamar is going into the last year of his deal too, so you got to think hes going to be ready to knock some heads by the time August comes around.

Its not even summer yet and we have a starter?...Im not buying that. If he is recouping cool... he will still be used.

I don't like the investment in Rocky....I think it was a desperation acquisition but really I think our guy was supposed to be Dqwell Jackson who went the pick before...I think Rocky was #2 but no where near as ideal as DJ would have been.

Its just crazy we replaced LA with a skinny battered Rocky....

and I thinkg that H.B. Blades wants to play for the redskins and he is willing to prove everyone wrong in order to be taken serious. He comes from a serious pedigree of good football players. He has a lot of heart and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I'm hoping him and marshall will be solid backups for mcIntosh,washington,and fletcher. I mean seriously, let mcIntosh play and then let marshall come in when needed. And maybe in 3 or 4 years h.b will be ready to step up for a startin postition. I'm not too convinced of the USC linebacker we drafted. But for some reason I feel like H.B is special. He's smart,hungry,and knows what it takes to win and like I said he comes a serious pedigree of football players in his family.

and I thinkg that H.B. Blades wants to play for the redskins and he is willing to prove everyone wrong in order to be taken serious. He comes from a serious pedigree of good football players. He has a lot of heart and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I'm hoping him and marshall will be solid backups for mcIntosh,washington,and fletcher. I mean seriously, let mcIntosh play and then let marshall come in when needed. And maybe in 3 or 4 years h.b will be ready to step up for a startin postition. I'm not too convinced of the USC linebacker we drafted. But for some reason I feel like H.B is special. He's smart,hungry,and knows what it takes to win and like I said he comes a serious pedigree of football players in his family.

Yeah, Blades was an excellent sleeper pick. I think he has the desire and the smarts to start at MLB for us a few years down the road when Fletcher decides to call it quits.

He mentioned Fletcher and Zach Thomas being guys that he looks up to before he was ever drafted by us. I'm glad he has a chance to learn from a guy like Fletcher who is built just like Blades and relies on his instincts and knowledge just like Blades does as well.

I like Lemar, really I do, but he just isn't very good as a starter. He is a career back up and a very good one to boot. He was terrible as the MLB last year and a big reason we couldn't stop the run. He was never in the hole and waited for the back to be full steem and just fell backwards while trying not to let go. He is much better at OLB, but if he is named the starter, it won't last long. One of the good things about having Lemar on the field is his smarts and leadership, if not the best thing about him. Well, we have London now to do just that with LL expected to help in the secondary leadership role. If Lemar is starting games for us, we have a problem.

I hate seeing a player like Marshall who played so well for us and was clutch in many situations in '04 and '05 be moved to a reserve role, but the truth is, he just couldn't shed any blocks last season and was one of the weak links

I really don't think the positions are determined this early on save a few key spots, Jason Campbell, Portis and the like. However, it would be a nice story if Rocky could come into his own to starter level and be a playmaker...Lemar is a definite asset as a back up with experience playing multiple positions.

:doh:

marshall should be the starter he played in probowl level in 2004 in WLB
:doh: :doh: :doh:

that's 2004 dude. what about 2006? We drafted a linebacker for a reason.. Let marshall remain the back-up role and hopefully he and fletcher can groom allthe young LB's. I wouldn't argue that marshall is a starter, becaue in fact h ehas already proved he can start and be productive. BUT, we need to give our young player a chance to make plays, and keep the vets so if anything happens, then you marshall will be ready to play when called upon. I feel like if you don't have to work for your position, you don't do as well on gameday.

I still remember the play Marshall made against Philly in 2005 to send us to the playoffs. Tipped a bullet pass then somehow tracked it in mid-air and intercepted it. Totally turned the game around for us.

Archived