Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sally Jenkins returns: "Football That's Light on Contact"....

wilbur58z

Anybody who didn't expect a "story" like this is crazy. It's amazing how anytime you have "voluntary" workouts, you're going to have some guys who don't show up. It's kind of the media's understood job to take that and use it to stir up crap.

BTW, Ms. Jenkins. If the Post decided to give you the next three-and-a-half months off, but allowed you to volunteer to come back and work during that time, what are the odds they'd "lose contact" with you? (Keep in mind, they wouldn't pay you any extra if you did show up. It's just assumed that your time is included in your regular salary.)

This really can't come as a surprise to us ES's. The ComPost has and always been and will always be an ax grinding, agenda driven, fish wrap paper. Then entire paper operates this way. Maske is probably the only exception that I can think of.

gala_02_03.gif

Sorry to do this to you all but here's the coldumbist.

Not that I nessesarly agree with her, but at this point this team deserves all the "bashing" it gets. Their performance has been poor...you can debate why that is in the other 8 million crappy posts on ES.:logo:

She rehashed what has already been said. However, I did come to the realization that someone on the defensive side of the ball needs to make sure that we keep contact. Sean's penchant for screening Gibbs calls really bothers me. It's going to take a player with a strong personality to turn him around. Like MW53 or maybe Darrell Green can reach him. Regardless of the money issue, the rift over the Clark issue has to be repaired.

Not that I nessesarly agree with her, but at this point this team deserves all the "bashing" it gets. Their performance has been poor...you can debate why that is in the other 8 million crappy posts on ES.:logo:

This column has nothing to do with past performance. It's speculation (how the team will do in the future) based on speculation(Gibbs' relationship with the players) because surely no player is taking Sally Jenkins into their confidence.

Aside from the obvious reasons, she lives in New York so she's not likely to be a Redskins Park very often, if ever.

I agree with Doog. The Skins should be considered a failure under Gibbs 2 to this point and thus any criticism is justified.

However

In this case it's who is doing the criticizing that is my problem. Sally Jenkins is not in the area. She is taking her shots from New York and has no real insight into what is really going on within the Redskins. Thus her statement that Gibbs isn't connecting with the young players is based on a statement by an equally "not in the know" person like Cris Carter as opposed to actual players on the team itself. On top of that, she didn't even contact Cris Carter to get his opinion. She just sat there from her comfy seat in NY and watched "Washington Post Live" on her satellite and saw Carter's comments. Contrast this to the Tom Friend article from last year that had quotes from players and former players who were on the inside. That was an enlightening (and very scary) article on what a cluster-F the Redskins were last year. Sally simply does not have that kind of insight and thus she really should shy away from giving us her opinion on the Redskins. Not because it's negative (that's fine) it's just that she has no more of an insight into the Skins and how they work than any one of us do posting on Extremeskins.

Also, she is wrong on Sean Taylor. Since when is he a "freelancer"? One thing Gregg Williams has shown is that he wants his players to run his defense to the T and does not tolerate players who "freelance". Gregg Williams loves Sean Taylor. That in itself should tell anyone who is paying attention that Sean does not freelance. His aggressiveness does get him suckered sometimes. Also last year he did try to overcompensate for the deficiencies of others and was caught out of position, but I don't see a "freelancer" tendency in Sean Taylor's game. I guess I could be wrong but then again even if I am, my opinion and insight (or lackthereof :) ) are about as valuable and well informed as Sally Jenkins'.

Hey, can I become a columnist for the Post too now?

If a player was certain he would not lose his job I can imagine they might take some liberties. I can understand him not wanting to come out and work out when it is NOT mandatory to do so.

Sure I would prefer he be here, however it is not a big deal to me that he isnt.

If he were to miss a mandatory workout, then it would be cause for concern.

We have all seen the pics where there IS contact during the no contact training. Why risk an injury when you are fairly certain you will be a starter ?

How many of us have dodged the phone on the weekend because we did not want to talk to someone from work ? I have done it before (not everytime mind you) but there have been occasions where I was "not home". This was pre-cellphone days mind you.

Let's just try not to worry or be irked by him not being at voluntary workouts.

I actually thought the article was quite terrible. Yes, there are some good points, but the entire article is screaming for attention and tries to blow everything EXTREMELY OUT OF PROPORTION with stupid metaphors. I was actually annoyed as I read the article. Other than that, I feel the front office should have more contact with it's players, but we are all speculating what is going on anyways, and have no idea what is actually going on... I'll sit tight (as if there is anything else I can do).

She carries no weight as far as I am concerrned. If she read through all the news and done her research she would have at least known that Springs has said he will be there at the start of June and the rest is nothing new for Taylor he is under contract until 2008. He isn't a unrestriced frachised free agent. IN addition to the fact that he has never like voluntary work outs in addition to the fact that he wants a new contract. Rosenhaus has a good relationship with the skins front office and I am sure ST will be back one way or another.

Sally Jenkins is an attractive target for the Homers on this sight because she is hyper-critical of the FO. She has the right to her opinion. But you have to admit ... ST and SS are not exactly choir boys, let alone true core Redskins. Flame me if you want.

I can't stand Jenkins -- she writes the same article every year.

That said, according to John Keim, it's no secret that many of the redskin players have lost respect for the front office. But maybe that will start to change after this offseason, where it at least appears that the FO has learned from some of its mistakes.

I don't even read her stuff anymore.

Totally agree, now she is trying to inject humor into her "new" style of reporting.

As John Riggins said, lighten up Sally and give it a rest with the negative reporting on the Skins.

I think this article is hysterical. It must bad because it makes fun of the skins! Wahh! Truth be damned! It's a decent piece that raises some valid points. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table - but it brings issues to the forefront that shouldn't be dismissed. People around here have stopped drinking the koolaid and started swimming in it.

Let's be honest about this......she is right on. The truth hurts, but our FO is in shambles right now.

Our FO and coaches lost the locker room. After seeing their lack of loyalty to Clark and Pierce, their mishandlings of Arch and Lavar, and their total lack of competence with S Jackson and the defensive staff--they are fed up.

The only thing that will cure this is winning. And if we don't win, the only solution will be to clean house big time on the coaching staff. This is a disgrace.

It is a sad state of affairs when your supposed "Head Football Coach" is in closer contact with Dale Earnhardt jr, than he is with your key football players. Do we have a coach that even WANTS to coach football? Giving up the entire offensive and defensive decisions to others would imply no.

The solution I think most fans would choose is clear--START COACHING AGAIN GIBBS. But does he even want to? Or is he now just trying to fullfill a contract, and trying to salvage a diminishing legacy?

:logo:

Every Jenkins article preaches the same song (The Redskins are run by morons,) but I thought she did present a good point about why Springs and Taylor are upset.

IMO, these workouts are VOLUNTARY, and therefore it is not the end of the world that both of these players have not shown up yet. As long as both of them are busting their a**es to get ready for the season, which they are (Springs is in Arizona and Taylor is at Miami) I'm game.

As long as our secondary is ready for Miami in early September, I could care less about whether or not they show up to VOLUNTARY workouts.

i agree.....

Archived