Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sally Jenkins returns: "Football That's Light on Contact"....

wilbur58z

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/11/AR2007051102209.html

You knew it was coming....

Listen to Joe Gibbs talk about losing "contact" with Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs. "All of a sudden we lost contact," he said of Springs. As for Taylor, "I've had no contact whatsoever." It sounds as though Gibbs is mission control and Taylor and Springs are space modules. Contact is something you make via antenna while transiting Mercury, or looking for compelling evidence of water on Mars. It's not reassuring when the Redskins' coach uses it to describe his relationship with two starters.

There are a couple of possibilities here. One is that a dust storm on a far planet has disturbed the solar array and disrupted communications. The other is that the Redskins' front office does not command the confidence or respect of two key players on the roster. Everybody knows the importance Gibbs places on these "voluntary" workouts. For Springs and Taylor to pull no-shows is at the least a flouting of his wishes, and maybe even of his authority, and a sure sign of trouble.

It may not be big trouble, and it's perhaps resolvable. It's only May, and a lot of teams have players who do this. But the fact remains that it's disturbing when half of the secondary fails to check in after a 5-11 catastrophe of a season for which they were primary culprits. The silence of Springs and Taylor toward Gibbs, the fact that he doesn't seem to know much about their orientation or position, is indicative of something awry.

"I don't know how you can lose contact with them as long as your name and the Washington Redskins is on that paycheck," NFL analyst Cris Carter said on Comcast's Washington Post Live. "I wouldn't lose contact. I think there's a disconnect between some of the younger players now and Coach Gibbs, and I don't think he's as effective leading the football team as he has been in the past. . . . Call Bill Belichick, look at him, I'm sure he's in contact with all of his players. [Mike] Shanahan in Denver, I'm sure he's in contact with his players. Bill Cowher, one of the greats, now out of the business. He was in contact with his players. So I don't see how you can lose contact."

Click to read the rest...

Her argument doesn't make any sense.

Where have you gone Mark Maske? :(

I hope Maske evicts Len "If you're an agent and feed me info and I will pimp your players like Jeff George, Todd Pinkston, or Lance Parrish" Pasquarelli from the ESPN NFL "beat" reporter.

I have her on ignore, the only reason I clicked this thread was cause the thread title said "**** ******* returns: "Football That's Light on Contact".... " and I was curious.

I wasnt able to read the quote of the article so I will abstain from commenting on it, but Im guessing it was worthy of a special medal.

shes just adorable! shes pissed off at life because her parents named her sally.

on another note, i think somebody needs to buy her a dictionary with double-sized font so she can look up the definition of contact. whats this making contact with the moon nonsense?

What's next? A UnWise Mike article telling us it's Snyder's fault for not originally paying Taylor and Springs enough while hiking up the prices at FedEx? Give me a break, I have no idea why Jenkins is even allowed to write anything about the Redskins anymore.

This paragraph is valid:

The fact is, the 24-year-old Taylor has never really been reachable, in any sense. Two years ago, when he wouldn't take Gibbs's calls, he wound up in pistol-whipping legal trouble. This is the supposed cornerstone of the Gibbs era, the handpicked draft choice on which all else was supposed to be built? Where was their judgment? The Redskins made their bed when they drafted him in the first place. He has proven to be a lone wolf, who, for everything he gives them, gives up just as much. He is a physically brilliant free lancer, but he has yet to really master the safety position. His decision to skip the voluntary session -- which is the best time to learn, and to establish your commitment to your teammates -- is a high-resolution snapshot of his soul as a player thus far.

The rest seems geared towards feeding the conclusion she wants, namely that the Redskins are managed by idiots.

Every Jenkins article preaches the same song (The Redskins are run by morons,) but I thought she did present a good point about why Springs and Taylor are upset.

IMO, these workouts are VOLUNTARY, and therefore it is not the end of the world that both of these players have not shown up yet. As long as both of them are busting their a**es to get ready for the season, which they are (Springs is in Arizona and Taylor is at Miami) I'm game.

As long as our secondary is ready for Miami in early September, I could care less about whether or not they show up to VOLUNTARY workouts.

These "voluntary" workouts sound like a lot of the BS that is called "voluntary" in the military.

But then again we don't get paid 2Mil or more a year to show up, play games and exercise either, lol.

Still I get where Taylor is coming from. He doesn't have to be there. So why is his entire performance graded on whether or not he goes and the fact that he isn't there made into a big deal to the media from the coaches?

It's not enough that the national media is biased against us, but then we have to hear it from our own paper. This is one of the worst sports articles I've ever read, she basically says 2 no-shows indicate the entire team is out to lunch. Here's my favorite quote, even though I have many...

"I think there's a disconnect between some of the younger players now and Coach Gibbs, and I don't think he's as effective leading the football team as he has been in the past. . ."--Cris Carter

First off, why is CC giving analysis on Washington Post Live when Brian Mitchell actually played for the Skins and for Gibbs. Second, where does CC get off talking smack about my team and coach? Is CC in contact with these young players? I don't see Cooley, Golston, or Campbell having any problems with Gibbs? How can you say Taylor represents all young players on the team? This a great example of biased journalist going off the deep end to justify her conclusion. I'm sick of WPL, and don't think I'll watch that garbage anymore. Seriously does anyone know Sally Jenkins email address?

Archived