Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam Rayburn

Ricky Ervins

I had the fealing he would be released with the depth the Eagles have at DT. I also expect a DE to come free possibly Darren Howard but I really do think Rayburn would be worth looking at if nothing else but a rotation player.

Question is, who does he replace? Im not sure who our 5th DT is(if any, though I think Williams likes to keep around that many, possibly just use Wynn), but at #4 is Montgomery, and the question is, do you want to cut our young potential for a 2 year solution we arent sure of, or are we really going to look at him longterm? Now if we have space to put him on the roster, thats one thing, but if we have to give up something, what are we giving up?

You really have to like what he did in Philly, 2.5 sacks a year(not starting all the time) at his age. So if the Skins FO determine they are looking for a longterm guy there, I think we make a play for him, otherwise, wont happen.

Question is, who does he replace? Im not sure who our 5th DT is(if any, though I think Williams likes to keep around that many, possibly just use Wynn), but at #4 is Montgomery, and the question is, do you want to cut our young potential for a 2 year solution we arent sure of, or are we really going to look at him longterm? Now if we have space to put him on the roster, thats one thing, but if we have to give up something, what are we giving up?

You really have to like what he did in Philly, 2.5 sacks a year(not starting all the time) at his age. So if the Skins FO determine they are looking for a longterm guy there, I think we make a play for him, otherwise, wont happen.

He could replace one of our 13 Safties.

:logo:

I've never heard of him. I don't pay too much attention to Phi. Bring him in, personally I would like to see upgrade with any of these cuts and hopefully replace Salavae who is eneffective and past his prime.

We def. need to get younger, bigger on the interior D, DL period needs an overhaul. Wynn, Daniels are getting old and probably will be gone next season anyway.

If Mont. can't win a #4 spot then there is no second thoughts about replacing him too.

This will be the area that leaps us into the NFC title game, and beyond.

Salavea is the concern to me given his cumulative injury history at age 32.

Giving Griffin the benefit of the doubt until told otherwise, I see him and the younger DTs, Golston and Montgomery, here.

Boschetti is a 'last guy on the roster' player and has been for the past 2 years. He just lacks the talent to break into the regular lineup.

No doubt there will be reasons given for why Rayburn is not on the radar screen, but at this point I really don't see the upside the Redskins do in Salavea for 2007.

we usually keep 5 DL (4 DE and 5 DT's ) on the 53 man roster - often one of them is not activated on game day. Wynn can play both DE or DT.

Salavea is the concern to me given his cumulative injury history at age 32.

valid point.

As an Eagles fan, I have seen him first hand for several years. Sam plays his best when he has another big body next to him. Rayburn is a better one on one guy then a DT who can take on a double team. His best season was 2004 when Jim Johnson would team him up with Corey Simon or Hollis Thomas. He tends to wear down quickly and has had several injuries over the last 2 seasons. Very strong, he lacks quickness but has a high motor that at times leads to him being a non factor in the 4th quarter because he uses up most of his energy in the 1st half.

All in all, the Eagles have a knack of finding gems in the UFA market and Rayburn was one of them, but his lack of consistency and the play of LaJuan Ramsey as well as the signing of Scott and Reagor as well as the desire to start Bunkley made him the odd man out. If you guys get him, don't expect much more than a good role player who gives you about 15 to 20 snaps a game.

As an Eagles fan, I have seen him first hand for several years. Sam plays his best when he has another big body next to him. Rayburn is a better one on one guy then a DT who can take on a double team. His best season was 2004 when Jim Johnson would team him up with Corey Simon or Hollis Thomas. He tends to wear down quickly and has had several injuries over the last 2 seasons. Very strong, he lacks quickness but has a high motor that at times leads to him being a non factor in the 4th quarter because he uses up most of his energy in the 1st half.

All in all, the Eagles have a knack of finding gems in the UFA market and Rayburn was one of them, but his lack of consistency and the play of LaJuan Ramsey as well as the signing of Scott and Reagor as well as the desire to start Bunkley made him the odd man out. If you guys get him, don't expect much more than a good role player who gives you about 15 to 20 snaps a game.

Which would be an upgrade. Bring him in and see what he's got.

LOL @ "extensive knowledge of the Eagles' system", as if it's a real mystery what they're trying to do there in only Jim Johnson's, what, 12th year there or so. :laugh:

Rayburn is probably comparable in value to Boschetti at this point. I'd rather keep our incumbents than get another player who doesn't add talent. If the coaching staff feels he's good enough to add, great, but I'm skeptical.

we usually keep 5 DL (4 DE and 5 DT's ) on the 53 man roster - often one of them is not activated on game day. Wynn can play both DE or DT.

Well if we keep 5, and Boscheti is our last DT, I see no reason not to make a play for Rayburn.

When was the last time Boscheti made a play for us(or even got an opportunity to)? So we certainly arent loosing anything if we cut him...

Well if we keep 5, and Boscheti is our last DT, I see no reason not to make a play for Rayburn.

When was the last time Boscheti made a play for us(or even got an opportunity to)? So we certainly arent loosing anything if we cut him...

I guess I missed where Rayburn was known as a "playmaking DT".

Boschetti's role on our team is not to "make plays", it's to let the other players make plays. He takes up space by taking on two blockers to try to free up the fellow DL's and LB's. He plays the same role that Salave'a does. It's Griffin, Golston and (hopefully) Montgomery who will play the three technique and penetrate and make plays.

Get him. The kid can be dominating at time. You want to talk about a 2-gap DL that gets pressure? That's Rayburn.

seriously, I'd be a little disappointed if the Redskins let this one slip away.

The Skins just might do what you fear. The way Dan Snyder was talking about Montgomery and Goldston being in top shape leads me to conclude that they are content with those two.

Rayburn is young and could benefit playing for us because he is pressure type DT. Will we, and mostly importantly GW, be willing to depart with our elder DTs?

I'm all for replacing one of these guys this season.

All we need now is a young DE to go along with Sam Rayburn.

Archived