Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so, is Portis playing at all in the pre-season?

CliffBattles

The reasons I believe it is important for him to play have much less to do with his timing and game shape, than with the message it sends to the rest of his teammates.

Everybody knows that the star players are treated differently, and that's fine. But when the rest of the team has to suit up and take shots in 90 degree preseason weather, at least the illusion of 4 to 5 carries in the first couple preseason games, then 7 to 10 in the 3rd game, followed by none in the finale, gives his teammates the impression that while they know he gets preferential treatment, he still had to get out here with the rest of us, even if not as much.

I think that helps build the TEAM mentality.

As a team leader, Portis should do so willingly, without complaining about it in front of the team, as he did after the injury last year. I think his negative attitude had a deflating effect on the team. I also think he knows that now. This is why he says he'll do whatever the coaches tell him to. I'd bet Gibbs let him know, in no uncertain terms, that he wasn't happy about his public statements immediately following the injury.

Larry Brown, John Riggins, and Earnest Byner ran in the preseason. So should Portis.

Injuries happen. If Portis were to sit out, then get injured in the 1st regular season game, people would be screaming that it was because he didn't get any work in the preseason. Go figure.

As for LT, if Portis could match his numbers year after year, maybe I'd reconsider.

Maybe.

I agree that all players should play whether they are stars are not but you HAVE to treat players with injuries different. It's just the fact of the league. And also, now adays players are faster,stronger,better then ever. So you have to protect the players that are hurt at all extents. If he is 100% and feels like there is no way he feels or re-injuring himself. then go for it. but seriously, dont just throw him in there to try to "send a message". But like I was saying, you have to protect your injured players, especially ones that are targeted for tackles.

After last year, are they going to be scared to play Portis?

If so, what about Betts?

Running backs don't need as many snaps to get back in rhythm...or so it is said.

Just a question to help the time pass 'til real practice begins.

Whoever stole my crystal ball.. not cool man b/c it seems they got Cliffs too.

I am offering a reward however, its a rubberband bracelet that allows you to understand the present...b/c not too many people are really fortune telling anyhow....yup so okay.

Portis will play, not much but he will play.
How do you know?
CP will play as much as the other guys.
Why are you guys so certain of this? You don't even bother to say that "you hope that he plays" or "you think he might play." You just go all out and say that he will play, like you are members of his family or one of the coaches. :confused:

I can see if Portis doesn't play because Bubba doesn't think that he should have any contact just yet. But other than that; what if Taylor, Moss, Cooley and J. Campbell were all injured in preseason games last season? Would they all get the option of not having to play in the following seasons preseason games? I'm just wondering how that would work? :2cents:

He needs to play in the pre-season. Not only to get into the flow of things but because he's a member of the Washington Redskins. He doesn't have to play EVERY pre-season game, maybe the equivalent of 2 quarters out of the 16 quarters of preseason they will play. Practice is one thing, but actual game situations with personnel different than the ones in camp will help.

I dont think it will matter.

Though if I had to guess, id say Portis is still rehabing his injury, so they will probobly want to take it as easy on him as possible.

The injury concerns people have are unjustified. Player play 16 games a year, and sometimes they get injured sometimes they dont. You cant predict it, and you cant say sitting out a game(the equivelant of a first teamer in preseason) will actually keep you from getting injured Week 1 or 2 of the regular season. You just dont know, and you really shouldnt bother being worried about it.

Hundreds upon hundreds of players play the NFL preseason without getting hurt. But the only ones that are newsworthy are the few that do. Media hype.

After last year, are they going to be scared to play Portis?

If so, what about Betts?

Running backs don't need as many snaps to get back in rhythm...or so it is said.

Just a question to help the time pass 'til real practice begins.

Three plays in the 3rd pre-season game and two plays in the final pre-season game.

And, he will be the old CP in the regular seaon.

He is willing to play apparently - he was on Total Access about a week ago and Rich Eisen mentioned it. He said something to the effect that he would be willing to do whatever the coaches want him to. Personally, I don't want him anywhere near the field until the season officially starts.

I saw that too. - He said he over-reacted last year a bit, but is willing to do whatever the coaches think best. ....good to hear.

Archived