Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so, is Portis playing at all in the pre-season?

CliffBattles

Do TWO things full out. Run and block. Don't tackle. CP should not be allowed to make tackles in preseason games.

Betts/Blaylock should split the load the same way they would if CP went down in a regular season. That's what we need to prepare for.

Those of you who think Rock will be higher on the chart than Blaylock are wrong, but understandably. Let Rock shine on special teams, I love him returning kicks.

If he's taking alot of snaps and looking good in training camp then I hope he only plays like half of the 1st quarter of each preseason game and thats it. JG has learned his lesson and hopefully Betts, Blaylock & Cartwright will take most of the carries.

Geeeezzzuusssss...Portis is gonna have to play some pre-season, just to get back to the hitting aspect of it. It was a freak play last year where he got hurt making a tackle, not getting tackled. If the 'Skins are gonna keep him under wraps all pre-season, he'll just end up getting hurt in game 1 or 2 because he hasn't any snaps under him for the year. By that same logic, nobody worth anything should play all pre-season!!! Yeah, that'd go over real well once the season starts, huh? You don't remember how disfunctional they looked to start last season because they didn't run much true offense or have the right players on the field at the same time during pre-season????

If Portis is such a wuss they why don't they trade him for a quality DE????[/Q

I see another fairweather fan, It's not about him being a wuss it's about what's best for the team, and having him on the field during regular season means alittle more than a preseason game. Trade betts for a DE and we will be set.

After last year, are they going to be scared to play Portis?

If so, what about Betts?

Running backs don't need as many snaps to get back in rhythm...or so it is said.

Just a question to help the time pass 'til real practice begins.

I don't see Portis playing at all. Betts might get a few snaps. Expect a lot of Rock Cartwright and a lot of rookies.

He should play some. And if he gets hurt, he should keep his ****in mouth shut.

I'm more worried about the O-line getting injured than I am a running back.

They have to play, why shouldn't he?

He shouldn't have to play. As it was mentioned before, we all know what he is capable of. This isn't like the NFL of old where players had JOBS in the offseason and needed preseason to get themselves back into playing shape. :2cents:

Have him do what Tomlinson did and just sit out. He didn't play a single preseason game last year.

Running backs have such a short shelf life there is no need to expose Portis to undue wear. The coaching staff knows what he can do he's been here for for Gibbs entire run, and has proven capable of putting the team on his back.

Why subject him to an injury in a game that doesn't count? Doesn't make sense.

:applause: Amen. He doesn't have anything to prove to the coaches and it's stupid to risk an injury to our franchise player.

I'd say it worked for LT.

i would let him play some but with orders that if someone intercepts a pass, he is to immediately walk off the field and stand next to Coach. Look, life is short and i want to spend some time on Sundays watching this explosive talented and tough runner tearing up defenses and scoring TD's.

Naw man. If there's an int, he needs to haul ass off field! Defenders look at that situation as a license to hit anyone in their line of vision.

You are the hitter and not the hittee. Dunno about you guys, but I always wanted to the first one to hit. CP needs to get over that fear or he'll be useless to us.

I see...is that the same "fear" he showed after he got his shoulder injured?

The same "fear" he displayed when running the ball, recieving & blocking in 8 games after his shoulder was injured?

Was it "fear" that got him his 4.1 ypc on a bum shoulder last year?

Did he show this "fear" when carving up Houston, or Jacksonville, when he blocked 2 people (incl. jacking up 300 lb. + Marcus Stroud) on Santana's TD?

I don't think he has to prove any kind of fearlessness in the preseason...especially to any of us fans.

I see...is that the same "fear" he showed after he got his shoulder injured?

The same "fear" he displayed when running the ball, recieving & blocking in 8 games after his shoulder was injured?

Was it "fear" that got him his 4.1 ypc on a bum shoulder last year?

Did he show this "fear" when carving up Houston, or Jacksonville, when he blocked 2 people (incl. jacking up 300 lb. + Marcus Stroud) on Santana's TD?

I don't think he has to prove any kind of fearlessness in the preseason...especially to any of us fans.

Thank you, this Portis' fear nonsense has to stop. Portis will play his butt off no matter how hurt he is, its just that he should get his preseason time limited, but if Coach Gibbs chooses to play Portis in the preseason, then its fine.

If he had worried about making a fundamentally sound tackle when he got hurt last year, rather than attempting to light someone up with a Goldberg spear, it wouldn't even be a discussion.

Preseason is an overrated time for RBs though. QBs and WRs need to work on timing routes against a live defense. For RBs, timing is a less important variable, especially compared to health.

Portis will play in the preseason.

I know he had a bit of a nutty after getting hurt last season and saying that the preseason is too long and that stars shouldn't play at all in the preseason but Joe Gibbs disagreed.

And I think we know that Gibbs has a little more say over who plays than CP does.

i agree fully. portis will play, if he is completly healthy. plus after missing so much last season he may need the practice.

I feel the opposite of AX. He should not play, he should not even dress. We all know what he can do and we all know what he wants to prove after a injury plauged season. As far as the o-line playing...they are a unit and need the reps together as much as CP needs to wallow in his desire and ruminate on the best method to permenantly tatoo his cleat marks on Roy Williams face. Let Clinton sit, untill the fish come to town. All cliches aside, due to the comradierie and competitive spirit between ladell and clinton we could truly have the best tandem in the league next year. Let them both sit.

I totally agree.... Sit CP and Betts.... play them for 2 series each at the maximum. Let Rock and Blaylock fight it out for the #3 job. It will be fun to see.... that competition alone will actually fill seats for pre-season games.

Limited playing time sounds the right way. Let CP tell Gibbs when he needs to rest, or when done for the day, unless the team needs to evaluate some other player in his position. Last year was a freak accident. We have a quality number 2, who can use the reps to get ready, and some rookies to evaluate.

Don't worry about any of the RB's getting hurt, I hear that TJ Duckett is available for our # 2 or 3 pick in 2008 (/smirks), so we got it covered.

/hail:helmet:

I'd vote for him sitting out the preseason. It's Portis, he acted somewhat like a premadonna last year, this is completely true, but I'd also wager to say he's our best offensive player. We easily have a top five o-line in the nfl this year. If Betts could rush for over 1,000 yards last year behind virtually the same line and without starting the whole season and I believe he tied Portis 100 yard game mark, just think what a healthy Portis can do.

Someone on here mentioned the short and scary shelf life of backs and that includes great backs as well, there is relatively no need for him to take the snaps. He practices just like everyone else and has the vision and skills to know how to take a hit and get under them and avoid many tacklers...he'll be ready. If anyone else recalls, despite his injury and sitting out like week 2 or whatever and not getting many reps, he still led the league in TD's for awhile. Once again, let him stay healthy for the beginning of the season to destroy defenses via our o-line and his skill.

That being said, that was quite a monster hit he laid on that kid from Cincy last year, I'm pretty sure Portis could go both ways....

He should play some. And if he gets hurt, he should keep his ****in mouth shut.

I'm more worried about the O-line getting injured than I am a running back.

They have to play, why shouldn't he?

I hope we go VERY carefully with him until the Miami game, BUT I also hope the coaching staff stop treating him like anything more than a good player. No one with 3 SB wins and a bust in the Hall of Fame needs Portis' opinion on what the offense should be running, what socks the team should wear, or anything else.

Coaches should coach, players should play. (And GMs should manage, but that's another issue.)

Advice to #26 from the immortal Crash Davis:

"Don't think. It can only hurt the ball club."

Archived