Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else have a feeling Brunell will look great during camp and preseason?

Leonard Washington

Sorry for the long title but I have the strangest feeling that Brunell will look better than ever during camp and preseason. I think he will look so good that the coaches will actually let him play with the first team during a game. Now this doesn't imply that Campbell will look terrible but every mistake he makes will be amplified to Brunell's all-star play.

I believe the coaches think Jason is the future but it will be hard for them to ignore a re-surging Brunell, especially if Jason experiences expected growing pains.

What are your thoughts if Brunell starts in 08, even if JC plays "ok" during camp and preseason?

I think your conjecture is pointless, not well thought out, and just plain dumb. If Brunell was going to start, Gibbs and co would have brought BRUNELL to work out Landry or Ginn or CJ. but they brought CAMPBELL

None of that changes the fact that the team is entirely committed to Campbell as our QB of the present and future.

That's the point, I'm questioning our commitment to JC. This team hasn't really shown commitment to many players in the past. Now there may be reasons for that, but I wonder if an improving JC is good enough for the coaching staff vs a seemingly brilliant Brunell.

I hope the staff is willing to hold down the fort and see this through rather than flip flopping and looking for instant success.

That's the point, I'm questioning our commitment to JC. This team hasn't really shown commitment to many players in the past. Now there may be reasons for that, but I wonder if an improving JC is good enough for the coaching staff vs a seemingly brilliant Brunell.

I hope the staff is willing to hold down the fort and see this through rather than flip flopping and looking for instant success.

Bingo :cheers::cheers:

Ramsey ring a bell :)

Yes....Brunell will look fantastic in preseason, and Campbell likely looks lost.

But Brunell is old.....and it is tough for a guy like that to play 16 in a row.

Gotta put the kid in.....and let him bomb out a few times.....to see if he is our future, or if we will be taking the first qb in next years draft.

The initial post is a legitimate concern. A scenario.

I like Brunell as a personality and he's been in some memorable 'Skins moments, but the thought of him starting even one game next year makes me throw up in my mouth... just a little.

Would much rather blame QB woes on rookie/young guy mistakes than over the hill arm strength, accuracy, and mobility. However, I'm not worried. I am (as many others are) extremely excited and optimistic about Campbell's contribution to the team next year.

I was a little worried when Joe said how good Mark looked now that his shoulder was healed up at the draft party.

That said I cannot see us going back to Mark as long as Jason is healthy

I hope Brunell looks amazing personally. We already know that there is a 0% chance of him starting again, so the better he looks, the better our backup will be for the season. I doubt he will say no to the vet min should they re-sign him, because he will never start again.

Ramsey played really badly during 2005 preseason. If Jason plays like Ramsey did we have a problem and it doesn't have anything to do with Brunell. In case you haven't noticed, Ramsey doesn't appear to have what it takes to consistently start in this league. That's why the Jets just let him go. What happened in 2005 was Gibbs belatedly figured that out and made a change for the good of the team.

Bingo. Ramsey wasn't just okay. He was horrid. If Campbell looks as timid and bad as Ramsey did then Brunell might have a shot but I doubt that happens.

He will look good because he has experience and is a good QB when totally healthy (i.e. 3 years ago), the reason he will be a back up even when he will look like he has more control, is that the coaches and more importantly the players want and believe in JC and there is no turning back barring injury. I think if JC misses a game or two due to minor injuries Mark will look great because he will be rested and healthy. IMO if we had the committment to the run for mark that we did for JC we would have won a few more games

Barring an injury, there is NO CHANCE Brunell starts. We'd sooner start Jordan Palmer or Casey Bramlet or Sam Hollenbach.

Even if EVERY PASS JC throws is intercepted, the guy who takes over the starter role will be a young guy. Brunell is for clean-up - he is a stopgap measure. If JC sucks, we don't need stopgap, we need a new QB, and we'll go to our youth.

That being said, JC will clown Jamarcus Russell.

I hope MB plays great. Not to start again but if something was to happen to JC then we could have a DECENT backup QB to fill to complete a game or play 1 or 2.

This is the worst nightmare scenario if he gets the starting job after preseason. Nothing in my mind makes this even a remote possibility. If MB gets the starting nod over JC, half of Fed-Ex will mutiny and our organization would have set itself back another decade because they would be publicly admiting that a washed up QB is now actually better suited to start than our young QB who we have groomed to start. OMG, I have to throw up right now... :doh:

Archived