Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else have the Desperation feeling with Ramsey?

NoCalMike

I just want and NEED him to turn out to be THE MAN for our franchise. If not, then we will still be in a 10+ year slump of not having a QB to call our own, and Ramsey would just be the next player on the pecking order.......I just want him to go out and WIN the remaining 3 games, or at least have him have GREAT games in close losses...........Go Ramsey~!

Here's my dream scenario for the final 3 games:

We lose to the Eagles and Texans 51-50 in each game, with brilliant play by Ramsey, the WRs (including McCants) and Betts, but a massive suck job on D due to Marvin Lewis sticking rigidly to a zone defense. Finally, at the end of the Houston loss, the defensive players led by LaVar, Champ and Smoot beat Marvin Lewis to a pulp.

In a teary, whiny news conference, Marvin Lewis resigns from the Redskins the next day.

Then the Redskins go out and beat Dallas 72-0 in the finale.

And we get Ruskell or Wolf as GM.

And we draft #7.

ASF sleeps happy all offseason.

:snore:

The only time Ramsey has looked good this year has been against Defenses that have had significant injuries in the secondary and little pressure up front.

Granted, he made no mistakes against them and really carried the team in those games.

But those were only two games.

And against GB and NO, his numbers were atrocious. The fumbles, INTs, and sacks that he gave up count as one of the worst statistical two games Ive ever seen, and it was obvious that he was not ready to go against high-caliber NFL teams.

But he showed flashes at times that give good reason to think he might be the next coming of our QB Savior in DC.

Or, he could be the next Gus Frerotte.

But, damn it sure would be sweet if he was the next Sonny J.

:cheers:

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

Here's my dream scenario for the final 3 games:

We lose to the Eagles and Texans 51-50 in each game, with brilliant play by Ramsey, the WRs (including McCants) and Betts ...

I dont' know, ASF. That sounds like that would take some mighty fine O-line play and you might have to give some credit to Helton.

You down for that? :laugh:

Originally posted by Brave

I dont' know, ASF. That sounds like that would take some mighty fine O-line play and you might have to give some credit to Helton.

You down for that? :laugh:

Oh, I forgot to mention . . . Ramsey does all this while running for his life from a jail-break rush, only this time doesn't take sacks, doesn't fumble and doesn't throw INTs.

At the end of the Houston game, Helton suddenly tears off his latex head disguise and reveals himself as . . . Newman from Seinfeld, laughing his head off. While security drags him away, Joe Bugel descends in a glowing bubble, steps onto the field, and agrees to take over as OL coach . . . .

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

Oh, I forgot to mention . . . Ramsey does all this while running for his life from a jail-break rush, only this time doesn't take sacks, doesn't fumble and doesn't throw INTs.

At the end of the Houston game, Helton suddenly tears off his latex head disguise and reveals himself as . . . Newman from Seinfeld, laughing his head off. While security drags him away, Joe Bugel descends in a glowing bubble, steps onto the field, and agrees to take over as OL coach . . . .

Joe Bugel in a glowing bubble?

The losses really have gotten to you, haven't they? :laugh:

It is hard to judge Ramsey AT ALL right no, besides what we knew before he ever played(Strong arm, smart guy) because it is not fair to judge 2 games here, 2 games there. That is why he can't be compared to Carr or Harrington yet because he has not been the starter for the 16 game schedule. However I think Carr and Harrington have looked just as bad as Ramsey at times as well, but I guess the verdict is still out.

Blade,

The Giants and Titans are both upper tier teams in pressuring the QB and sacking him. We saw a little of that with the Giants just getting great pressure on us. Ramsey took a quick sack and seemed to settle in nicely and the line played up. Same thing against the Titans. Early Ramsey took a sack and then made a couple of plays in the face of pressure, and then the line started to pick up the pace. We gave up a ton of pressure against the Saints, though most of it was in the fourth quarter so it was not constant until then. And against the Packers I recall not being terribly upset with the line as much as being terribly upset with Ramsey.

But, your point is still pretty good. The Giants and Titans have NOTHING in the secondary and Ramsey shredded them. The Saints game planned beautifully for him and forced him into errors. I don't feel desperate about Ramsey, but if he does show limited ability the next few games, it could create that desperation.

I was very encouraged how he responded in the Saints games. He didnt let the mistakes get to him. I know one thing, he is no Shular. I love everything about this kid. He is the ultimate team player. He has that moxy to be a great qb. Sure I wish he was mobile, but that arm will make up for his limitations. How can you not love that arm. Maybe I am being too optimistic about Ramsey, but I think he has the stuff to be a damn good qb in this league.

Woefull is one of the most non-mobile QBs around, and we saw how he scrambled when forced to. I don't think that many QBs are incapable of running or scrambling if they ABSOLUTELY need to, but I just think there are some that are less intimidated or more accustomed to scramble under the same circumstances. We haven't really seen Ramsey scramble that was because he was ALWAYS trying to find an open reciever rather then just get rid of the ball, but that is CLASSIC ROOKIE QB PLAY, and you can't really hold that against him. Like I said, when has been on, he looks great, but when he is getting above average secondarys thrown in his face left and right, of course his limited playing time will cause him to get confused during his rookie year. Even with Ramsey's mistakes in the Saints game, we SHOULD HAVE WON, had it not been for the worst special teams play ALL YEAR. and the Green Bay game just showed that the INTs and turnovers in the Saints game got inside Ramsey's head a little, because he looked like he was a little scared to chuck the ball around at times, or he would get nervous and instead of taking a chance, he just threw the ball out of bounds. He will improve though.

We all want Ramsey to turn out to be THE MAN, because we all know that Matthews and Wuefle are average and incompetent, respectively.

If Ramsey is not the man, then we have to draft a "franchise" QB and go through the learning process all over again. We could luck out and get a good QB through FA, but that's rare.

Ramsey didnt have the benefit of SDouble calling an offense game plan that initially kept the Saints off balance like he did for Matthews and waffle.

STs should have had their check withheld that day.

I like ASF idea of close losses but a rout of the pokes in the goodbye Darrell Green game.

What would be the icing on the cake is D Green get an nt and taking it to the house.

ST,

We don't know that Matthews and Wuerffel are average and incompetent respectively. We think Matthews is very average. And, Wuerffel has demonstrated he's not incompetent, but, perhaps even slightly above average within this offense for this coach.

Just a point of fact for ya.

To the contrary NCM. Ramsey has shown exactly what we expected of him going into the season....flashes of the plays that his strong arm can make but little NFL awareness as a rook.

I've had a good feeling about him from the beginning but my gut has been wrong before. However, I'm very much encouraged by his intangibles. He seems to be a team oriented player who hates to lose as much as SOS does. He also seems to be a relatively smart guy who has the capability to assimilate SOS's complicated system or another system that might follow an SOS firing/bailout.

Over all, starting QB is not the position I'm most worried about for next season. If nothing more, this year's draft appears to have finally netted us a QB. I would however, be planning to get a solid backup (of the future) in the upcoming draft. Too bad we let Sage go as he fit that bill perfectly.

Originally posted by Blade

And against GB and NO, his numbers were atrocious. The fumbles, INTs, and sacks that he gave up count as one of the worst statistical two games Ive ever seen, and it was obvious that he was not ready to go against high-caliber NFL teams.

Nah, I've seen worse QB performances than that. I think he showed a lot of poise and determination by a rookie, to play so poorly early, and then bring the team back the way he did aganist the Saints.

His performance aganist the Packers was simply poor, if he was more accurate we could've won that game. But from what we've seen last sunday, he no longer should have problems hitting wide open recievers in the endzone.:D

Ramsey's performance this year has been what any Rookie would have faced. He had to learn a complicated SSpurier offense that would have been challenging for many veteran QBs.

He will continue to improve with the game exposure that Spurier will finally give him. The losses vs GB and the Saints are gonna go a long way to our franchise future.

What will make or break his future is a good offensive line in front of him. I think that his NFL arm can make a modest receiver corp look good, given the time to find the open receiver. His familiarity eith the variances of the play's will allow him to better asses the Defenses , make the right decisions. Al will be for naught if he has to face a Jail-break pass rush every game.

I think we need to go after Jansen, Gardener and a new DE in the draft, coupled with a couple of high-round guards to establish our future. A safety would be great, but please, don't mortgage the house for a speedburner WR. Ramsey won't have the time to get him the ball without a solid wall in front of him.

God forbid that we wait for Vinny to waste our Cap funds, and future draft picks, on dead-end over-the-hill cast-offs, to appease Dan Snyder's win quick apetite.

We have the foundations for a Dynasty. Let's build it slowly and firmly, not with quick patches.

Ramsey is our QB cornerstone !

I would love to see us take a QB in the later rounds or pick up an undrafted rookie FA. Let him sit in annonimity (sp?) for a couple of years learning Spurriers offense and either :

A- Take over if Ramsey plays bad or gets injured.

or

B- Looks so good in pre-season and in mop up duty that some stupid franchise (Bengals, Cards) give us a couple of top picks for him.

There is nothing wrong with drafting a QB late this year. I'd rather do that than draft another longsnapping TE.

Just wanted to add that Ramsey had a qb rating of 94 in the 2 games he was a reliever and a ... ahem ... much worse rating in the 2 games he started.

In the NO game he had a bit of the deer in headlights, partly due to the jailbreak he was facing, partly the first NFL start thing, and partly the field position in the first half where SS had him throwing from his 10 yard line.

The game in GB seemed very odd to me in that he had no accuracy at all and even had the ball jump out of his hand once without even being hit. Wonder if the 32 degree factor was at work for the kid from Tulane because he seemed to have zero grip and control of the ball.

The boy seems smart, tough and has a Stinger missile on his shoulder. He's definitely worth a year or so more of growing pains.

The poor OL has affected both the running and passing games. SD has done as poorly as the QBs/WRs/TEs. It all starts up front. We all want the salad days of Gibbs but where's Grimm/Jacoby/May/Bostic here. Our OTs are good but not HOF caliber like Jacoby - and Samuels has been a shell of himself with his injuries. And the inside of Grimm,Bostic, etc ... sniff, sniff, ... where's the good old days?

Gibbs won with the Smurfs (Monk was injured). Our WRs can be as good. I'm hoping Robert Royal turns into Doc Walker, going both ways with equal ability.

Next year will have no Riggins/SD that we know of. But a real good OL can make an Ernest Byner a winning RB and we might have that in Betts/Watson and can make a Mark Rypien a 98 rated passer and we might have that in Ramsey.

As far as defense, Trotter was an expensive mistake (Mitchell was/is fine for the money). Our DL has been awful for a long time - no pass rush to speak of, and cant keep old Number 22 from getting 140 on us on a T-day we should have won.

Where are the studs up front? Butz? Mann? Manley? Gardner can be all that but the other 3 you can have (but not in the 80s-90s analogy I have here - Bruce WAS great ... but not now).

As a little old lady once asked (to Walter Mondale's chagrin) "Where's the beef?"

ST,

Wuerffel probably can't be a starter for anyone else. He probably can't even be one for us. But, in his time as a starter with us he certainly wasn't incomptent or pathetic. So, you can't say he was. You can say he couldn't start elsewhere. That's probably very right on.

Archived